The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: headgasket blown :( i think

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    ZiplokeR

headgasket blown :( i think

iv'e been haveing p0300 and p0304 error codes as well as overheating every few days. could a blown headgasket cause both the coolantloss and misfire problems?

plus, the bottom of the oil cap does look a bit milky sort of.. im in denial

Last edited by ZiplokeR; 03-19-2010 at 11:17 PM

that does look like a blown head gasket... good luck wit dat

Silver_8G
    Besides the oil on the cap how does the rest of the oil look? How often are you putting coolant in it? Whens the last time you did a tune up on the ignition? Coolant mixing into your oil is usally a head gasket though.

When i blew a head gasket i had whitish smoke coming out of my tailpipe.
    2002 Galant GTZ
    1967 Cougar XR-7 w/289 c.i. (Project)

Do a compression test then youll know for sure

ZiplokeR
    i just did a compression check but not sure how to interpret the results or if im doing correctly.

cylinder 4 - 190psi
    cylinder 3 - 192psi
    cylinder 2 - 239psi
    cylinder 1 - 220psi

i added a little bit of oli in cylinder 4 & 3 then measured it again

cylinder 4 - 279psi
    cylinder 3 - 225psi

before testing i drove the car around for a few minuets till the temp gauge was in the middle then unplugged the crankshaft position sensor and took out all the spark plugs etc.. after screwing in the compression guage i kept craking the engine about 7 or so times per cylinder till the compression guage maxed out.

Also, the oil on the dipstick looks ok.
    ive replaced the sparkplugs, coilpacks & wires
    and it overheats after about a week then i top off coolant and im good for another week or so.

I'm seriously thinking about just taking it to the dealer and paying the $200 it would cost to do a full diagnosis.. what do you guys think i should do.