The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Typical Engine Noise

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Typical Engine Noise

Finally got both of my aux belts replaced and my mechanic targeted my squealing brakes to be bad wheel cylinders (brakes are now 100% silent).

However my engine still seems a little rough sounding to me, I've found only a few videos of the 03' Galant engine running and would like to hear a few of our members engines at idle on a cold start up, a few revs etc.

Hard for me to describe but my engine is quite noticeably loud, even with the hood closed but nothing appears to be wrong at this point. Kinda figure if I can compare it to some of yours it would put me at ease. Besides, it's a good way to show off your car haha.

Thanks for anyone willing to help me out! Please post your videos of your engines running at idle, add a few revs if you can.

72,500 miles as of 3/30/11

http://www.youtube.com/user/Greasy34.../0/ZX_TOV8ohOo

crappy sound quality, but there is mine with my e36.

The e36 makes a lot of noise on idle, if I can find my camera Ill make another.
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 03-20-2010 at 03:45 PM

thanks for the reply!

I notice I now have a new problem and cant quite target it, I'm hearing a tapping coming from the engine, not typical engine ticking like when you shut it off from heat warping, but an actually tapping as if the vibration of the engine is causing two parts to touch.

Again, even with the hood off you can hear this over the engines idle, so it must be pretty loud.

Any ideas on what typically can cause a tapping noise from the engine?

EDIT:

I also JUST had my oil changed yesterday, and the problem started after that...
    Last edited by Colton5419; 03-20-2010 at 07:24 PM

did you put filter on right? what weight did you use?

I had them change my oil yesterday after doing the brake work, since I was over by a 1,000 miles.

I forgot to mention to them to use part synthetic, so they only used conventional. (could be the reason)

Quote Originally Posted by Colton5419 View Post
    I had them change my oil yesterday after doing the brake work, since I was over by a 1,000 miles.

I forgot to mention to them to use part synthetic, so they only used conventional. (could be the reason)
    That may not be the reason, clean oil is clean oil basically. A day wont change that. Check everything to do with your oil level, filter, and such

It's such a quiet noise I should most likely just dismiss it, just odd that I have never noticed it before.

Sounds nothing near as loud as other video's I have watched about engine tapping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rlkh1xXhEo

sorry about the cell quality couldnt find my camera. When opening the hood the phone tried to compensate for sound so it sounded extremely loud.

I think I'll put in some engine restore soon, last oil change I did and it made quite a noticeable difference in performance, might even quiet down my engine a little.

http://www.restoreusa.com/