The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Weird squeak only when pressing and releasing the brake pedal

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Weird squeak only when pressing and releasing the brake pedal

So I have this weird squeak only when I press or release the brake pedal, NOT when the brakes are engaged. This happens both when car is moving and still.

When I took off the right rear drum, it seemed that the wheel cylinder was leaking ever so little. Can the squeaking be related to that?

When I engage the parking brake, same thing happens. Does anybody know if the parking brake engages the service system or vice versa? That would help me narrow down the defective system.

Well it's really cheap and easy to replace those wheel cylinder seals plus if it's leaking you should do it anyways and see if it helps. While you are at it you might want to clean the cylinder itself and lightly sand the inside of it.
    2002 Galant GTZ
    1967 Cougar XR-7 w/289 c.i. (Project)

thanks for the advice. how do i take the cylinder apart? the cylinder itself is about $100 from the dealer... T_T

It was a while back when i replaced mine...I think i just winged it by taking everything off i needed to to get to the seals...You shouldn't have to replace the cylinder or even take it off. I would just replace the rubber seals and clean inside the cylinder.
    2002 Galant GTZ
    1967 Cougar XR-7 w/289 c.i. (Project)

Quote Originally Posted by varroa View Post
    So I have this weird squeak only when I press or release the brake pedal, NOT when the brakes are engaged. This happens both when car is moving and still.

When I took off the right rear drum, it seemed that the wheel cylinder was leaking ever so little. Can the squeaking be related to that?

When I engage the parking brake, same thing happens. Does anybody know if the parking brake engages the service system or vice versa? That would help me narrow down the defective system.
    Are you 100% positive that the squeaking noise is coming from the brakes? I had something similar that I could have sworn was coming from my wheels, but it turned out that I needed new motor/tranny mounts. If you have more than 90K miles and haven't replaced your motor mounts yet, they're worn out and needs to be changed.

Not sure if you have the 4cyl or the V6, but here is an alternative to buying the entire motor/tranny mounts. These are Prothane Inserts for the Eclipse, but they'll fit our Galant (however, not sure about the 4cyl, as this ad is specific for the manual tranny, which might be different than the 4cyl auto tranny mount). Click here for link

Quote Originally Posted by criz067 View Post
    It was a while back when i replaced mine...I think i just winged it by taking everything off i needed to to get to the seals...You shouldn't have to replace the cylinder or even take it off. I would just replace the rubber seals and clean inside the cylinder.
    damn. sounds better than paying $100 for a new one. but you still had to bleed the braking system, yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by BGR View Post
    If you have more than 90K miles and haven't replaced your motor mounts yet, they're worn out and needs to be changed.

...here is an alternative to buying the entire motor/tranny mounts. These are Prothane Inserts
    thanks for the advice. i just replaced all mounts but the engine mount (the one on the passenger side). i used OEM mounts bought at www.oemmitsubishiparts.com for about $150 total (transmission mount and both roll stoppers, front and rear) plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by varroa View Post
    thanks for the advice. i just replaced all mounts but the engine mount (the one on the passenger side). i used OEM mounts bought at www.oemmitsubishiparts.com for about $150 total (transmission mount and both roll stoppers, front and rear) plus shipping.
    Cool. Glad you got your bases covered. I hope you get this problem solved.

I had the same issue, brakes sounded like a yellow school bus.

MIDAS found that both my wheel cylinders were leaking, and replaced them for $130 (both parts and labor).

Noise has sense stopped. - silent braking!

- They also said leaky wheel cylinders would fail NYS inspection.

72,500 miles as of 3/30/11

huh. interesting. thanks for the info. i was looking at replacing the leaking one myself (or fixing it as criz067 advised), but this beats both.

did they use aftermarket wheel cylinders? i imagine that in this particular application it's not much difference between aftermarket and OEM, what do you think?

i need to pay a visit to midas (or similar brakes place).