The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: silverstar ultra bulbs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 25 of 25
    Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    You dont need the wiring harness. DDM kits are plug and play. I know I have 3 of them hooked up right now. Seeing as this isnt an HID technical thread I will just prove my point so OP doesnt go out and buy 15 bucks of shit he doesnt need.

That is an example of one of my sets of H1 HIDs and my Fog light H11 ballast.

The 9006 connector as its labeled is universal, there is a wire that into stock harness on the other end of that wire is the 9006 connector. The 9006 connector goes into the ballast ballast has plugs to bulb you turn on lights ballast charges bulb bulb ignites boom thats all she wrote.

Also seeing as OP has 9006 already on his car he can plug stock harness into ballast. Ballast to bulb and he is done. Just as easy as changing bulbs and cheaper then Silverstar Ultras.
    well ideally, all HID should be run off a relay harness (in pairs) so that the ballasts get power directly from the battery/alternator. this has nothing to do w/ the ballast being digital or mechanical, all-in-one or separated igniter, plug and play, etc. i have had 8+ kits on 2 different cars and installed on more than 5 galants, in all configurations, so i might know a little about this.

HID needs alot of current in a very short burst to ignite. some cars can handle this w/ their stock wiring, some can not (it also depends on the health or robustness of the charging system). often times one side will ignite and the other will not... this is because one ballast will monopolize the available current and starve the other (this starvation is actually very bad for the ballast and will cause premature failure); a relay harness equalizes this draw since both ballasts are now getting power directly from the battery, bypassing the stock wiring (which is only used to activate the relay, a very minimal draw).

so basically, you don't "need" a relay harness, and can probably get away without one, but if your charging system or stock headlight wiring is suspect, you will end up damaging one or both of your ballasts. i have 3 full sets of HID on my car and have an optima blue top and 3 relay harness to go with them.

[QUOTE=Joshua42007;578343][QUOTE=03-Galant-ES;577795]You dont need the wiring harness. DDM kits are plug and play. I know I have 3 of them hooked up right now. Seeing as this isnt an HID technical thread I will just prove my point so OP doesnt go out and buy 15 bucks of shit he doesnt need.

Im sorry, i have an 8g. maybe it is different? That pic you posted is the Slim digital kit right? I have the Apexcone Raptor ballast (not-digital) from ddmtuning and they require a wiring harness. Or am i wrong? i have mine ran thru a wiring harness.

This is the relay on my wiring harness

you are wrong, I have 2 digital and a magnetic 55w 35w and 35w respectively no harness needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    well ideally, all HID should be run off a relay harness (in pairs) so that the ballasts get power directly from the battery/alternator. this has nothing to do w/ the ballast being digital or mechanical, all-in-one or separated igniter, plug and play, etc. i have had 8+ kits on 2 different cars and installed on more than 5 galants, in all configurations, so i might know a little about this.

HID needs alot of current in a very short burst to ignite. some cars can handle this w/ their stock wiring, some can not (it also depends on the health or robustness of the charging system). often times one side will ignite and the other will not... this is because one ballast will monopolize the available current and starve the other (this starvation is actually very bad for the ballast and will cause premature failure); a relay harness equalizes this draw since both ballasts are now getting power directly from the battery, bypassing the stock wiring (which is only used to activate the relay, a very minimal draw).

so basically, you don't "need" a relay harness, and can probably get away without one, but if your charging system or stock headlight wiring is suspect, you will end up damaging one or both of your ballasts. i have 3 full sets of HID on my car and have an optima blue top and 3 relay harness to go with them.
    Hmm I didnt have issues at all except with my alternator not charging my battery.
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 03-25-2010 at 06:31 PM

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post

you are wrong, I have 2 digital and a magnetic 55w 35w and 35w respectively no harness needed.

Hmm I didnt have issues at all except with my alternator not charging my battery.
    after you replace your alternator, you really should look into putting those ballasts on relay harnesses. you are risking damage to the ballasts especially w/ a weak charging system. they are cheap and easy to install, and greatly prolong the life of the HID system. like i said, u don't "need" them, and they might work properly for a short while, but they do serve a purpose, especially since the stock wiring was not meant to carry the type of load the ballasts require. i've had HID for almost a decade.

Oh ok i see. i have the 55w magnetic bullet proof ballast, but i have mine on a wiring harness. I thought they would require a harness since they are not like my HID fog light setup where you just plug it directly into the factor wiring harness.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post

Oh ok i see. i have the 55w magnetic bullet proof ballast, but i have mine on a wiring harness. I thought they would require a harness since they are not like my HID fog light setup where you just plug it directly into the factor wiring harness.
    My magnetic also wired straight in, but Reelax is right that the harness is good to prevent damaging ballasts if the stock wires stop being able to carry the required load for any reason such as what happened to my alternator last night, but a dead battery wont change that lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12