The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Manual trans differences

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Manual trans differences

Hey people, I have a question... What is the difference between the 5 speed manual transmission on the 3G eclipse GT and the 3G eclipse GTS. I Know the Eclipse GTS came out in 2003 and it had an increase in HP from 205 (GT model) to 210HP because a different intake and valve induction system (or so I heard from the mitsu dealer) I also know these GTS eclipses came with a slightly taller stick shift, so the gears were a little longer distance from one another. Also, mitsubishi quiet the tone on the exhaust system for the year 2002 (because the awesome sound these 3G eclipses had stock were not desirable by some people based on their reviews....Bullsh!!!!) I know this much because at the time I had a 2000 eclipse GT and my service adviser told me all these things; but I never got to know the differences on the transmission itself....Does anybody know????

2003 MITSUBISHI GALANT GTZ

final drive on the GTS was different, i think thats all

Experienced TGC Member

Far right column is the GTS 5spd, middle is the GT 5spd.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Thanks! so which would be a better choice for my 8G? I know I would like to have that tight, close distance, short shifter that 2000-2001 3G eclipse GT have, but as far as the tranny itself...are both of them sutable for a swap???

P.S. how about the 6 speed manual available on the 4G eclipse GT special edition???

Experienced TGC Member
    Both transmissions will mount up directly. The only difference between the GT and GTS as mentioned is the gearing. The GTS will have more "get up and go" but lacks the top end gearing like that of the GT final drive.

Search more on that 6spd option as it has been covered pretty good. It basically is the same transmission case with an additional gear added (read potential weak point of smaller shafts used inside). Numerous Evo owners have actually ditched the 6spd and reverted back to the 5spd for the exact reason.

www.blackheartmotors.net

So that means that the 4G and the VIII-IX EVO share the same 6 speed tranny?

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmdvzla View Post
    So that means that the 4G and the VIII-IX EVO share the same 6 speed tranny?
    No, its the same build principal though. The Evo 6spd is basically the same 5spd case, just crammed another gear into it...same for the Eclipse 6spd transmission case.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    No, its the same build principal though. The Evo 6spd is basically the same 5spd case, just crammed another gear into it...same for the Eclipse 6spd transmission case.
    Which one would you recommend? the gt or the gts one?

Has anyone here installed a 3G GTS manual transmission on their car?....or all of you that have done the swap so far have used the regular GT transmission..??

Also, if anyone is running the 6speed transmission, please give me some feedback on how it feels......

Thanks!

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

I've never had a problem with the lack of top end on the GTS trans I have, been clocked at 167 at HPT.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Manual trans differences

I think he meant the GT transmission is more for top speed, while the GTS transmission is more for acceleration, from the gearing

however, I should note that the GT transmission with the GTS final drive yields the shortest effective gearing and the GTS transmission with the GT final drive gives the longest effective gearing
    Just because something is old, doesn't mean you throw it away

Geordi La Forge

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

I have considered doing GT gears with my GTS to get the low gears and low final drive if I build the motor the way I want it will not make much low power.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

you mean you won't have much torque?