The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 00 v6 lifter removal

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    themadmon

00 v6 lifter removal

does anyone have a good method for removing the lifters and cleaning them. I did some searching and found cleaning instructions but no removal instructions. I have this sound from the engine and its gotten louder. Friend said sound like a starving rear to him. and i sometimes get a misfire in cyl 5 so im assuming lifter. gonna just order them and replace them or clean them which ever i have the time for. i run synthetic in my car. last oil i have in there was mobil 1 with a mobil 1 filter. 5w30. i put a new filter on the car and ran a motor flush. kind of helped but came back a little. i then drained the oil and put on a new cheap filter and cheap oil to run for a few minutes with mystery oil. then i drained that and put castrol synthetic 10w30 and k&n filter and some mystery oil and same problem. only had 4500 miles on that oil.
    Last edited by themadmon; 03-24-2010 at 04:43 PM

seafoam it.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

themadmon
    i did. i ran a whole bottle of seafoam with fresh oil. should i run it through the air lines?

yes but you need the seafoam in spray/rattle/ can. pull the hose right after the PCV and spray in there

you need to keep the seafoam in the engine a little longer than a few minutes. I drove around for a day. It was silent as never before.
    Last edited by mko; 03-24-2010 at 04:28 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

themadmon
    ok i have fresh castrol synthetic with the k&n in there with a bottle of mystery oil. so im gonna seafoam my car right now through the booster hose and pray that helps. either way i still need to know how to remove the lifters. gonna do my timing belt crank pulley water pump and put a new rear valve cover on. same time might as well do the lifters... or oil pump.. hope not tho. I have a extra 6g72 in my back yard that i was gonna rebuild in my spare time but school...

Experienced TGC Member
    You need to remove the rocker shafts from the heads so you can access the lifters. Though I do have to wonder about the noise coming from the engine, if it is a tick or knock noise. Due to the misfire on cyl 5 do you have any codes thrown by chance? If not you may want to do a compression check on all cylinders before tearing into it.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    I have that same annoying ticking when I first turn my car on.. Its obnoxious when I first start but after a while it cools down a bit..

themadmon
    here is an update. i seafoamed the vacuum lines of the car twice in one day and now my car has the normal noisy mitsubishi lifter sound. no more knock. weird.
    i will do a compression test on the motor and see. i only run synthetic so lets see if it was just junk from the old owner 20k miles ago.
    also i didnt get this sound when the car is cold. my boy told me it might be a clogged lifter. or possibly the oil pump but the sound is gone. so right now i have castrol synth and mmo in the motor.
    Last edited by themadmon; 03-25-2010 at 09:44 PM