The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: traction issue

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

traction issue

i just boosted my 98 g and tuned really well and now i am having traction issues in first and second gear. well first gear is non existent and 2nd just lays a nice patch through out the whole gear. what would u guys recomend? limited slip diff? lowering springs?

what size/ kind of tire do you run?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

TGC Regular
    Hahaha.. Your Turbo.. You think your not gona spin???? How much boost are you running?? Yes you should probibly get a better suspension setup along with wider tires... And a limited slip diff is NEVER a bad thing to have!!!!

well i just still have the 205 55 16s that i bought over the winter for my rims they are not a performance tire at any means. they do grab all right im thinking my suspension is most of my problem because my back springs and shocks are sagging pretty bad maybe just new struts and drop springs would fix the weight transfer issue. i am running 8 psi and am only getting 1 knock count and the timing is advancing so im considering running 10-12 maybe see 3rd gear rubber haha. im actualy suprised the clutch is holding up good considering it was replaced 4 years ago and has 60k on it

TGC Regular
    Yea you might want to think about getting some adj coilovers.. They will give you the best performance and the most options for lowering... They are pricey but in my opinion I think they are well worth it...

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    Yea you might want to think about getting some adj coilovers.. They will give you the best performance and the most options for lowering... They are pricey but in my opinion I think they are well worth it...
    x2. When i was looking for options on suspension i calculated that new strut mounts, struts and good lowering springs were only like 150 bucks less than my k-sport coilovers which have 36 way dampening adjustment and height adjustment. The only 2 ppl on the board that run them to my knowledge are me and MKO. Mitch (galant306m) has them on his car but hasnt run them yet. Im sure MKO will vouch for k-sports as well as i do. I love everything about them. The ride is rough but youll get used to it but honestly its not as rough as the tein springs and gr2's on my gf's 2g but the k-sports handle better.

windo welding your front and rear motor mounts is a good idea! Also some prothane bushings will be a huge improvement!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    whoa whoa whoa, everyone back up here. you're running 205 width tires? on 16s? dude i thought i was having problems with my turbo setup on my 225s on 17" wheels....you must be driving on ice skates. sure, the suspension will help, but it will only help a little when you're running 205s!!!!! get 225s AT LEAST, and you will still have traction issues. 8" wide wheels with a LSD and you'll be pretty good....
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

I have 2 donuts up front and no traction issues
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    Why do you have doughnuts???? and the reason why you never have traction issues is cus you drive like your old...

I was kiddin

thats why i DRIVE my galant every day and you dont

but thats off topic
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    Suck it You have a PM jerk!!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    -Fill your mounts or prothane inserts
    -Upgrade your suspension
    -larger wheel and tire combo...preferably a wider tire and softer rubber.

Practice a technique on launching your FWD too...revving 5k and dumping the clutch is going to surely cause no traction. Feathering and finding that right spot where you got enough rolling traction to fully engage the clutch will help you launch better.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

ok i will look into some new tires. i know my back struts and springs are bad because the car sags pretty bad in the back just sitting there so i can imagine the weight transfer at wot. guess it would do good in a burn out contest haha as of right now im getting 3rd gear rubber.

TGC Regular
    You just need to learn your car and learn how to launch it properly..