The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Evo rims... too wide but I love them!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 48

Evo rims... too wide but I love them!

So I found these Evo rims a while back and have had them on my car for about 3 months. They look awesome, but the only problem is the rims are literally flush with the fenders, especially the rear. I've already rolled the fenders, and now they only rub when there is a passenger in the back seat and I go over any bumps. I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve letting these puppies go. Like struts or something that will stiffen the rear suspension so I can hold up to 400lbs or so without having to worry about rubbing.

PLEASE HELP!!

thanks
    Chaps

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    are you dropped?..i fit mine with a drop and im camber corrected to stock...I did a minor roll in the rear (hammered 4 5 mm of the lip) and now i dont rub ever..

go wide

Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant View Post
    are you dropped?..i fit mine with a drop and im camber corrected to stock...I did a minor roll in the rear (hammered 4 5 mm of the lip) and now i dont rub ever..
    Nope, I'm not dropped yet. I hammered quite a bit back on the rear lip, but it keeps scraping. Here are some pics of the rear..

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Wow they look way out of the fender.
    Maybe change the tires if they are too wide,Cut the fender lip completely although there are some important weld points on them or add a little camber with a camber kit (I'm not sure if it is possible), Or buy coilovers and put them very stiff but your back will not like it.

4g64T 5spd

Just get a fender roller and roll the lip all the way around, not just the top portion, I was dropped on springs before and never had problems, camber corrected and all....
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

or send me the wheels lol.. ill figure it out.. even if i gotta get rid of my quarters and fenders lol

So you think the tire wall might be too tall? Yeah and I know quite a few people with evo 17" rims on their galants and none of them had problems like this..

fat friends?

lol.

all jokes aside, if you roll your fender lip all the way, make sure you heatgun it a little so that your paint dont crack, once the lip is entierly folded, you should be just fine.

yeah, my paint is actually chipping already.. I used a metal molding hammer last time, but what should I use to roll it all the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
    yeah, my paint is actually chipping already.. I used a metal molding hammer last time, but what should I use to roll it all the way?
    http://www.spryracing.com/FAQS/techn...g/DSCF1924.JPG

you can rent them here in canada. idk bout there.. search man... somethimes the center aint got it all... for everythnig else.. theres google :)

I called around a few body shops, they said they would charge about $150 for rolling my rear fenders. I might just do that. Thanks for the help guys

wait. what size are your tires? those pics look like 235 or even 245! also keep in mind the rear tires travel on an arc on suspension compression so even if they stick out at that height, as the wheel travels up, the tops of the wheel/tire suck in towards the center of the car (negative camber). if you get the proper size tire, you should clear w/ rolled fenders... and the proper size is 225/45r17.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    wait. what size are your tires? those pics look like 235 or even 245! also keep in mind the rear tires travel on an arc on suspension compression so even if they stick out at that height, as the wheel travels up, the tops of the wheel/tire suck in towards the center of the car (negative camber). if you get the proper size tire, you should clear w/ rolled fenders... and the proper size is 225/45r17.
    Agree 100%

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    your tire size is off.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    What's your tire size?

go with 215/45 and you wont rub. at least that's what i did and im pretty low.

235/45/r17

But if I go with a smaller width, I thought it wouldn't fit on the rims?

You can go down to 215 without issues on evo rims and it still wont really give the stretched look havent you seen those vws that have stretched like 195 on a 9'' rim lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
    235/45/r17

But if I go with a smaller width, I thought it wouldn't fit on the rims?
    u thought wrong. there is a limit to how narrow or wide you can go w/ tires, but 225 will easily fit an 8" wide rim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast