The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clunking noise when i hit bumps!

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Clunking noise when i hit bumps!

I've had this problem for a long time and it is kinda getting on my nerves. I plan on putting 18in rims on my car here shortly and if i don't resolve this problem before then. It's just going to sound horrible with less tire. So I had ordered polyurethane bushings thinking that would fix the issue.

Well My steering is a little better it seems. That clunking noise is still there. I Jacked up the car and stuck a bar under my tire to try and get things to vibrate.

It seems like the problem is this rubber bushing right here:

Does anyone have any idea what this part is called? I can get better pics if you want. I want to replace this bushing and hoping at the same time it will get rid of my vibration issue. Anyway thanks for your help and hopefully i can get my car to stop clunking finally.
    Last edited by keith6110; 03-29-2010 at 10:03 AM

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    did you check your sway bar links??? get a better pic if you can i know you change your control arm bushings and sway bar bushings i plan on pttings poly bushings myself.

also did you take a look at your exhaust system? i was just under the car changing the transmission mount, and noticed that the shield that covers the exhaust tube right after that mesh section is rattling free, because one end rusted through. now it's only held in place (weakly) by two rusted-through bolts. it definitely rattles even if you just tap it with your finger.

Quote Originally Posted by varroa View Post
    also did you take a look at your exhaust system? i was just under the car changing the transmission mount, and noticed that the shield that covers the exhaust tube right after that mesh section is rattling free, because one end rusted through. now it's only held in place (weakly) by two rusted-through bolts. it definitely rattles even if you just tap it with your finger.
    Yes, I forgot to mention the noise stops over bumps when I'm using my brakes. I know you didn't know that lol but this rules out the exhaust. Thanks for the reply.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Well... I will take guesses guys. lol. I have no idea what to even call that or how to even look anything up for a new one of those. Control arm frame holder bushing? lol thats my best guess.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

sway bar bushings. you need to have both links off to test for play in the bushings
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    sway bar bushings. you need to have both links off to test for play in the bushings
    ahh alright.. see whats happening is. That part i have circled. When i have a bar under my car pulling on it trying to imitate pot holes. that part that is circled; the metal there is hitting off the frame and it seems like that rubber bushing is bad. I'll take off my sway bar links and give it hell i guess. Thanks mko.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

GTZ:UA
    it is sway bar links for sure!!!
    i had the same problem
    if you not gonna fix it soon, it only going to get worse

Quote Originally Posted by GTZ:UA View Post
    it is sway bar links for sure!!!
    i had the same problem
    if you not gonna fix it soon, it only going to get worse
    Its already worse! lol.. Thanks for the response. Funny thing is.. Its only been about 4 months since i've replaced the sway bar links. Noise was present the whole time (before and after changing sway bar links)

Remember the noise stops when im using the brakes. The second i release them its back and sounds horrible on every bump i hit.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    you have 2 get moog sway bar links moog is th best chassis part dealer all my links are moog... just a suggestion.

Mhm..sounds like sway bar links..! usually all the time that will cause a thump sound when going over bumps or pot holes and such!

I had a similar issue, is it from the back, because I know the parts that need to be replaced there. They are not the sway bar bushings/links. Let me know if the sound is from the back, as I can't really make out from the picture, looks like it's from the rear though.

There are two more arms there that have bushings in them, that need to be replaced. I've replaced them with the original parts from the dealer and the sound went away.

Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    I had a similar issue, is it from the back, because I know the parts that need to be replaced there. They are not the sway bar bushings/links. Let me know if the sound is from the back, as I can't really make out from the picture, looks like it's from the rear though.

There are two more arms there that have bushings in them, that need to be replaced. I've replaced them with the original parts from the dealer and the sound went away.
    The noise sounds like its coming from all 4 wheels lol! it's really bothering me now. I'll snap some pics tonight and post them up. Could you give me some names of the parts that you had replaced? that would be helpful. Mine probably need replacing anyway. Thanks!

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

changed all my calipers and now the clunking has stopped. Why does this not make any sense to me?

I noticed little rubber bushings in the caliper slider bolts? i hope you guys know what i mean. But I don't see these little rubber bushings making a huge difference. I mean there is absolutely no clunking at all. Heavily greased/anti seized each caliper bolt as well. New brake shoes in the back.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

That's weird. I think I might have the same problem. I've been hearing a lot of clunking like that and it doesn't seem to happen when I'm applying the brakes even lightly. I realy don't want to have to replace my calipers. Damnit.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJambo View Post
    That's weird. I think I might have the same problem. I've been hearing a lot of clunking like that and it doesn't seem to happen when I'm applying the brakes even lightly. I realy don't want to have to replace my calipers. Damnit.
    Well I think it's more the caliper pins and greasing your brake shoe sliders. The caliper pins (one on each caliper set) have a rubber bushing on the end of it. Mine were missing and when I replaced all calipers, the new pins had the bushings on them. I also heavily greased each pin. I still don't know what the problem was, that's just my guess.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Well I planned on replacing the brake pads and searching for the source of the klunking noise this weekend before I test fit my VR-4 kit. The rattle I'm getting is seriously loud and annoying. It's embarrasing to have anyone riding in the car with me. I'll have to check the caliper pins.

So I took my car over to a parking lot that is completely torn up with pot holes from the winter. I've discovered that it rattles exactly the same when I'm applying the brakes as it does when I'm not. Hhhhmmmm.... Guess I'll be checking the swaybar links.

Make sure you also check to sway bar link in the back. Its a little link about 3 to 4 inches long. Thats next on my replacement list.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    Make sure you also check to sway bar link in the back. Its a little link about 3 to 4 inches long. Thats next on my replacement list.
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I only get the clunking sound from the front but I might as well replace anything that's starting to go while I'm under there.