The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tap into my 12v Acc wire for Ipod charging?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    rocgalant

Tap into my 12v Acc wire for Ipod charging?

What's up? I used to have a 'add-a-circuit' in my fuse box, which was used with this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...abilities.html to play my Ipod and charge it. Well, long story, but I threw the 'add-a-circuit' out and it costs like $10 for another. I know I'm a cheap #$%^& but those wire tap things cost like $3. I wonder if I can just tap into my 12v acc (the blue wire) on my radio harness to charge the Ipod? I also use that 12v acc wire as the remote turn-on for my amp. Any thoughts? I would add an in-line 2a fuse to the wire tap if I did it.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    you can use your acc wire for both.

do you have an after market or stock radio?

rocgalant
    Thx. I was thinking I probably could since the amp turn-on doesn't really require any amps. I have an aftermarket radio with rear RCA inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by rocgalant View Post
    Thx. I was thinking I probably could since the amp turn-on doesn't really require any amps. I have an aftermarket radio with rear RCA inputs.
    if you have an after market radio, then why don't you use the amp turn on wire from the radio itself?

rocgalant
    I'd have to test to see how many volts it puts out. If it's giving 12v switched, that's a good idea.

i'm talking about hooking your remote wire for your amp up to that, not your ipod wire

rocgalant
    I was hoping you didn't mean that. After I posted my reply, I was like, 'what the hell am I talking about?'

I didn't use the remote wire from the stereo because I had a bit of a crisis when I hooked it up. So I reconnected all the wires, but I switched the amp remote wire from the stereo to the factory harness because I knew that worked. It's a longer story than that but that's the gist

the remote wire in the factory harness would still use the same remote turn on wire from the after market radio

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    the remote wire in the factory harness would still use the same remote turn on wire from the after market radio
    I used an aftermarket wiring harness to wire between the radio and factory harness. The aftermarket wiring harness did not have a wire for remote turn-on. So, on my initial attempt, I wired the amp's remote turn-on directly to the radio's remote turn-on. I didn't get any sound and I re-wired the amp's turn-on directly to the factory harness' remote turn-on, which of, worked.

Are you sure you didn't connect the pwr ant wire instead?

rocgalant
    Yes. the wires are labeled. It doesn't matter to me whether the amp turn on is connected to the radio or factory harness. It works and there's no risk with the current setup