The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: USDM 7G V6 Possibilities?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 54
    Any possibility i can put a 6g72 head on the 6g73 block and produce that 200 hp range?.

just go for 6g74 off diamante. it will be a direct drop in.

6g73 with 72 head wont do shit. youd proly be better off with 6g74 and 63 heads with smaller combustion chambers

you cant bore it w/o getting the cylinder walls too thin or maybe even impossible. you have 6g73 bore which is 83.5mm and 6g72 bore that is 91.1mm. but ill have to say, they say its the same block just different bore, so it might be possible, but thats up to the machine shop to measure and all that.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Experienced TGC Member
    Meh. V6 would add weight to the 7g. The 7g has potential as it is. 4g64t, 4g64 hybrid, 7 bolt 63t, 6 bolt 63t, and there are more that i dont know the code. Hell even just a little bit of work to the stock sohc motor will give you some gains. With minimal mods and very little cost i made decent power with my motor N/A. Ported and polished head, 11 lb flywheel, 60mm tb, balance shaft removal and a cold air intake i shaved more than 2 seconds off of my 8th mile time. Of coarse i did the work myself including the port work. I ran a 10.32 and ive seen stock srt4s and 2g turbos run 10.50's consistently. Pretty big mile stone for myself if u ask me, especially considering before i did the mods i ran a 12.64. Now with the turbo... Thats a different story ;-)

so 4g63t it is? or keep looking into the 6a13tt ?, i wish i could put a turbo with low boost on my 6g73 but every where i have looked , people say its impossible because there isnt any space inside the engine bay.

Experienced TGC Member
    4g63t or 4g64 with forged internals would be nice ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by trigunracing View Post
    so 4g63t it is? or keep looking into the 6a13tt ?, i wish i could put a turbo with low boost on my 6g73 but every where i have looked , people say its impossible because there isnt any space inside the engine bay.
    for the money youll spend on 6a133tt, you better off getting a diamante 3.5 or turboing ur engine. since you have 2.5L v6 you can use some like B16g turbo and make lots of power, tuned with SAFC2 only. Dont listen what people say, you need to have a bit more dedication and creativity. here how usually the v6 are set for single turbo conversion

All you have to do is to reroute some exhaust piping, drill the oil pan for the oil return line and find where to source oil for the oil supply line.

Build Thread

I'd just rock a Diamante and boost that shit. Or Boost the 7G with a 63/64 hybrid or straight 63t. A lot less hassle. If you want the 7G stick with the lighter 4cyl engines....less money and headache. Your choice, but you may get in deep thinkin it is an easy swap...which there is no such thing. LOL There will always be a problem, and since there hasnt been a v6 swap done here you will have no real support (only theoretical)on that. But with the 63/64 head swap and boost there are tons of guys here that can help...just a thought

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

let me understand both aspects from you guys, The first one about 2.5 turbo, so many people wanted to attempt this but they said there is absolutely no room to fit anything in. but i will look into it since the engine can handle the power.

Now for the 63/64, are you trying to say that i can take 6g74 head and put it on the 6g73? i was confused about that one.

Now for the 63/64, are you trying to say that i can take 6g74 head and put it on the 6g73? i was confused about that one.
    I think you're just confusing yourself here.

4G63 = 2.0L DOHC 4-Cylinder
    4G64 = 2.4L SOHC 4-Cylinder (Sometimes DOHC. Example: 7G Galant GS)

6G72 = 3.0L SOHC V6 (There have been many variations of the 6G72, but I'm only supplying info for the version from the 8G Galant and 3G Eclipse in order to keep confusion to a minimum)
    6G73 = 2.5L SOHC V6
    6G74 = 3.5L SOHC V6

Now realistically, you could take heads from the 6G74 and put them on the 6G73, but I don't think you would really gain anything. 6G72/6G74 heads are the same with the exception of cams, where the 6G72's cams are made for more top end than the 6G74's cams. As for the 6G73's heads, I'm not too sure. In theory, they would be the same with the exception of cams once again, but at this point unless you fully understand compatibilities between the 6G7x engines, you could find yourself in one hell of a mess.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Swapping heads with different profile cams is more like N/A deal. It will matter if he goes turbo, but not as much

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    You guys do know that the 6G74 didnt come in the 1st gen Diamante. The 6G74 came in the Montero SR which was DOHC 6G74. Theres a guy who swapped his 6G72TT to a 6G74TT in his 3000GT VR-4. He had to order a JDM FWD 6G74 cause some of the parts for the RWD 6G74 wouldn't fit in the FWD frame.

The USDM 6g73 heads where designed by Dodge, but there is a JDM 6G73 with Mitsubishi DOHC heads on it. It can be found on ebay.

Exactly, its 2.5L V6 DOHC 24 valve engine with or w/o MIVEC comes in 7g Galants

it looks exactly the same as 3000gt Vr4 engine, but it says 2500 on the intake mani

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YwRYjoITGY...+AT+KL7450.JPG

Build Thread

so what does that mean for me? What would be a good swap for my car since its the same chassis as the galant? really looking for a good project and have the time and money to spend. I have a winter beater to play with during the summer untill the swap is finished. , Turbo set up is to much from what people have said Mko, so i dont want to attempt something thats going to be way to difficult to do. plus , i would much like to have a proper turbo engine instead of building up the 2.5L Any advice Mko? u seem Very knowledgable about Mitsus.

get a 3,5L 98-03 diamante motor and swap it in. That would be a plenty of power to play it to start with. then save up some money and do single turbo on that motor

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    The 2nd Gen Diamante engine is turned the other way, so your going have to fab new mounts. And I thought the JDM V6 7G was a 6a12. If the 1st gen diamante 6G motor is a direct swap and you want a 2.5l V6 heres what you do.

Buy a SOHC 6G73 from a 1st Gen Dodge Stratus, Dodge Avenger or Chrysler Sebring. These car are at every junkyard and you should be able to get a one cheap. Then swap the DOHC heads from a 1st Gen Diamante onto the 6G73. Im not sure about the ECU and wiring.

Hi guys, i haven't been on for quite some time. Unfortunatly my 7g Galant was destroyed by cops :-( good news is my new car has mitsu engine inside. I have a 6g73 2.5l v6 SOHC engine its a 98 sebring coupe lxi. My question for you guys is. Is it possible to put in a 6a13tt engine inside my car?. i've done some research on this and came up with the result that the chassis for my car is the same platform as the 8G galant. Is it 100 percent true? im not sure. My question is, if its true , is it possible to put that bad boy of an engine in the car? and what needs to be done. Any info would really help reason being i have a good price on everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by remarque View Post
    The 2nd Gen Diamante engine is turned the other way, so your going have to fab new mounts. And I thought the JDM V6 7G was a 6a12. If the 1st gen diamante 6G motor is a direct swap and you want a 2.5l V6 heres what you do.

Buy a SOHC 6G73 from a 1st Gen Dodge Stratus, Dodge Avenger or Chrysler Sebring. These car are at every junkyard and you should be able to get a one cheap. Then swap the DOHC heads from a 1st Gen Diamante onto the 6G73. Im not sure about the ECU and wiring.
    He says he has a Sebring. All 95-00 sebring/avenger's engines are already on the opposite side in the engine bay, just like 8g Galants. These have 6g73, as mentioned, and is not the same engine used in old 3000gt/Stealth/Euro/JDM 7g Galants. As I said the Sebring engine has the same orientation as an 8g 6g72, so it makes sense to just swap it out with 6g74 out of 2gen Diamante

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    Oh didnt know that learn something new everyday

ive been searching around to find a 6g74 and dont see any around for a good price.... Everything is going around 2500 and up , thats ecu tranny engine etc... , for 2500 id rather just purchase an older Galant vr-4. Ne who tho, since the direction of my engine is the same as the 6a13TT, is it not compatible to go into my car? ive been looking around to see if i can use my tranny on that engine but can't find any information to see if the bell housing and bolts are the same . As for chassis its exactly the same as the new style vr-4. Reason i keep going back to this engine because its available , and an amazing price. only situation i see is transmission. The tranny they have available for the engine is the all wheel drive. The only Compatible Tranny in FWD is the FTO's Tranny. What do u guys think? i know i keep going back and forth. Im just looking for advice on this because i dont want to end up wasting money time and effort on something that wont work.

I don't know if it helps you guys, but I'm running a 6A13tt FWD through a F5M42 gearbox. This box is from JDM / Euro 8G 2.5 V6 N/A. Bell housing is OK but youl need the N/A backplate.
    Oddly I'm now researching to see if a F5M51 will fit mine as I need to fit LSD from Quaife or Wavetrac etc. Both companies list the 3G eclipse which of course is the F5M51. No mention of the 42.
    Just a note, my engine transmission combo is in a JDM / Euro 8G.

euro 8g v6 is a 6a13, so yeah its a bolt on for the f5m42 tranny. there are none of these in the US.

tranny off 3g v6 eclipse should bolt up too, but thats just a theory, no one has tried it yet because there arent many 6a13tt like there are in the UK.

Build Thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast