The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: bad gas

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

bad gas

my exhaust fume is black what should i do. I was recomended from pete to change the vavle seal, from chris he told me to change the piston ring. I bought a scanner read the codes and the code are always the same.
    P0115. engine coolant temperature sensor circuit maflunction or high output?
    P0505. Idle control system malfunction (which i change already)
    P0120. Throttle Postition sensor circuit mafluction(change already)
    P0110. Intake Air Temperature sensor circuit maflunction.
    P0100. Volume AIr Flow circuit maflunction.
    P0105. Barometric presure circuit malfuncti
    I search and the bottom three are maf
    Last edited by warren; 04-01-2010 at 12:03 PM

maybe you should cut back on the fried beans. lol

When you have a CEL you dont just replace the MAF and reset the computer. Did you have it scanned?

Quick info for you:

"Black Smoke: Black smoke is caused by excess fuel that has entered the cylinder area and cannot be burned completely. Another term for excess fuel is "running rich." Poor fuel mileage is also a common complaint when black smoke comes out of the tailpipe. Black smoke out the tailpipe is the least cause for alarm. Excess fuel will usually effect engine performance, reduce fuel economy, and produce a fuel odor.

How did the fuel get into the cylinder in the first place? Some of the causes of excess fuel are a carburetor that is out of adjustment, a faulty fuel pump, a leaky fuel injector, or a faulty engine computer or computer sensor. If black smoke is present, check the engine oil as in the white smoke example to make sure excess fuel has not contaminated it. Do not start the engine if a heavy, raw fuel smell can be detected in the engine oil. Call your mechanic and advise him of what you have found.

I hope this helps you determine what could be causing your engine smoke, and the possible reasons behind the smoke. "
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

yes i have a scanner and no every time i changed the oil there is no fuel in there

Quote Originally Posted by warren View Post
    yes i have a scanner and no every time i changed the oil there is no fuel in there

IDK how you read but of all symptoms you picked the one that happens the least. Running rich doesnt mean youll have raw fuel in the oil. it means that it might happen, but if you dont have it, it means its not running that rich and usually this condition means bad rings as well, which it may not be ur case.

And if you want something to get resolved i suggest you type some information down - like milege, what are the symptoms, does it happen all the time, how does the exhaust fumes smell, any CEL - what was the code. And when providing the information, Id suggest using some Proper GRAMMAR and punctuation that we all can understand. It doesnt have to be perfect, as you see I dont type in a perfect grammar as well, but everyone understands it.

So put your shit together, write it down on a piece of paper so you dont forget it while youre typing, use some basic understanding of English language and ask your question. Your first post sounds like this: "my exhaust gases are black, fix it". And if you think some one is gonna sit on the computer trying to get answers out of you, then no, no one will.

So, to answer your question.

Youre saying it smokes black at all times, and your engine oil gets contaminated after 5 min. Is this correct?

Then you got advised it could be valve seals or piston rings, right?

when having bad piston rings, it usually affects the cylinder compression. It will burn oil and the color of burnt oil is blueish. Same color smoke you get with bad valve seals. To eliminate this as a reason, go rent a compression tester and do a compression test. While doing a compression test, make sure you have the gas pedal all the way down.

Now, running rich on pretty much any Galant or DSM means that theres a post MAS leak. That means that theres not metered air going into the engine. Un-metered air means it goes into the engine after the measuring sensor which is the MAS. So we are talking about cracked intake tube leak, vacuum lines leaks, EGR leak, EGR gasket leak, throttle body shaft seals leak, throttle body gasket leak, intake manifold gasket leak, PCV malfunction.

having the oil black in 5 min means that the engine doest suck the crank case fumes. This usually is a result of bad PCV. The auto parts stores usually sell fake ass PCV valves that do not work 90% of the time. best option here is OEM PCV valve.

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    HAHA^ epic!

Quote Originally Posted by warren View Post
    my exhaust fume is black what should i do. I was recomended from pete to change the vavle seal, from chris he told me to change the piston ring. I bought a scanner read the codes and the code are always the same.
    P0115. engine coolant temperature sensor circuit maflunction or high output?
    P0505. Idle control system malfunction (which i change already)
    P0120. Throttle Postition sensor circuit mafluction(change already)
    P0110. Intake Air Temperature sensor circuit maflunction.
    P0100. Volume AIr Flow circuit maflunction.
    P0105. Barometric presure circuit malfuncti
    I search and the bottom three are maf
    thats pretty much every sensor that is powered by 5 volts.

See if you get 5 volts at pin 1 of the MAS plug

Build Thread

That's a LOT of codes to be suddenly thrown at once.
    Mko makes a good point with all sensors being 5v. That's a really strange coincidence. Is it at all possible, do you think, that your ECU may have just eaten shit? Or maybe a short somewhere causing the ECU to spazz?

That is a worse case scenario. I hope that's not what it is. My bro's civic went through an ECU and threw erratic codes and ran extremely rich.

Not to say that this is your problem; it may or may not be, but I wouldn't put it out of the ball park.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

yeah i found out my ecu is bad going to change it hope it helps