The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DOHCstunr's 1994 Galant GS build thread *10/31/2012

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 152
    Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    hard on

nice
    8g tranny is being rebuilt and waiting on ground control coilovers
    7g is just sitting motor and tranny is out(need to finish, just lazy)
    6g (vr4) motor is out getting the good stuff like a gt4088 and some more stupid stuff.
    Nice to be back!!!!

its an awesome G,

-Mitsubishi Galant LS 1994 a/t [ SOLD ]

I took a few weeks off. I feel bad for my poor car sitting in the garage, but I suppose its better than sitting on the street. The last few weeks of the semester were ultra stressful, and after I took my last final I went to the beach for 2 weeks. Now I'm home and have resumed wrenching.

Yanked the old power steering rack and am in the process of finishing up the installation of the new one. I'll post some pics when I get the chance.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I feel your pain. My G has been sitting in the garage for a month now. Hey, do you know if the rack is different from a 2g DSM to a 7g Galant? Just wondering because the part numbers are different and I have both sitting around. Your car is looking great. Why you didn't build up the DOHC 2.4 you had though?
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    I feel your pain. My G has been sitting in the garage for a month now. Hey, do you know if the rack is different from a 2g DSM to a 7g Galant? Just wondering because the part numbers are different and I have both sitting around. Your car is looking great. Why you didn't build up the DOHC 2.4 you had though?
    well at the time I simply didn't have the money. I just wrecked my black GS and i sold the headswap to recover the cost of buying the white GS.
    Then of course I'm still FWD, so a 2.4 turbo would only irritate me. Once I get out of school and start working full time I plan to go your route.

As for the steering racks,

they are the same, BUT the galant steering rack is variable assist rack and pinion. The galant has a power steering control module that controls a bipass valve in the top of the steering rack. This is pretty cool. gives you full assist when you are at low speeds, and once you are moving it gives you nearly no assist.

You can install the eclipse steering rack(which I did because its cheaper)
    Then I suppose its going to give assist all the time.
    I'll post a pick of it when I get some.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

John, what is your input on the use of the stainless steel clutch line with the GS clutch line setup?
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by mysticj View Post
    John, what is your input on the use of the stainless steel clutch line with the GS clutch line setup?
    I highly recommend the stainless clutch line. I ditched the accumulator reservoir and installed a 2g clutch line. I also took the restrictor out of the slave cylinder.
    It may be personal preference. But I like to feel my clutch engagement down to the very last mm. I honestly couldn't call it a burden on a daily driver. It will also increase the accuracy and consistency of your shifts.

In my opinion the 7g should have came with a stainless line from the factory.

Regardless, its an ultra cheap mod.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Thanks for the input, I could never understand the reason for a secordary reservoir. My clutch pedal feels sloppy for being sitting[car]. I'll do the mod with some motor mount inserts and ball bearing mod for the clutch shift
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Well, i've been driving the car for about two weeks now after the p/s rack install. Can't describe how much I missed this car.
    Still have a slew of other parts I need to install but for now I'm taking my time and remembering why I do all this work in the first place.

Here's a poopy camera phone pic from the farmers market this morning. I had no idea it was so bad until I uploaded it lol.

I've been working on my latest home theater project so i haven't had too much time for the G.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

How did the rack install go? pretty easy or was it a pain?

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

why did you go with the brembos instead of the other big brake kits you had?

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    why did you go with the brembos instead of the other big brake kits you had?
    probably because the knuckles he bought to get brembos cost and arm and a leg

have you thought about painting the wheels john?

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Well I was going to slap them on, but in the end I sold the stoptechs because they gave me a LOT of much needed Galant money to play with. That, and I didn't want to have mismatched brakes. black stoptech's up front, red brembo's in back(or even black brembos would still be a mismatch)
    Another deciding factor was that the aluminum hat on the breath-taking two piece stoptech rotors... was about 5mm thicker than the stock brembo hat.
    Which would have pushed my wheels out of the fender. As it is they sit perfectly flush and I didn't want to ruin that.
    Would be different for an 8g/3g/9g/4g car.

As for the steering rack,
    It was pretty painless. I put it off for a long long time because I thought it was going to be a big hassle.
    In the end it wasn't very difficult. I guess the biggest hassle was dealing with all the grime and oil all over my drivers side suspension from the hydraulic fluid that was pouring out the main seal of the old rack.

Painting the wheels? Nah can't say I have. For whatever reason I love the factory tuned look I have right now. Its like I drive an SVT galant or something. As aggressive as it sits, it still looks like it could have rolled off of the assembly line that way.
    The plan was to get some Evo IX SE wheels, and keep these for my winter.
    But i don't even drive the galant in the winter so idk.
    We'll see.
    Last edited by DOHCstunr; 06-27-2010 at 12:00 AM

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Wszyc
    Change rear bumper to JDM one it will look great i think

Well i have no idea how a freakin year went by and I still haven't installed the vast majorioty of those parts in the first page. Lets just say life has been crazy this past year. Busiest year of my life.

So now that I'm done with school, and thriving in my career in real estate, and have basically no free time.... I figured this is as good of a time as any to get the GS ready for a track day.

Pulled the trans today.
    Engine bay is pretty gimey. Don't hate.

My old ACT2100 can't believe it made it as long as it did lol.

Hot spots on the pressure plate

Street disc. Still has all of the springs, woot.

Thin, but not as bad as i expected.

Clutch release fork. It may be hard to see it, but the pivot ball has wore deep into the socket on the fork. Good thing i have a brand new OEM fork and Fulcrum Ball. When these wear it greatly effects the travel of the clutch fork and can cause some serious engagement/disingagement issues. Especially at high rpms.

Here is my throwout bearing... or shoudl I say whats left of it. This is literally how it came off of my tranny. I'm pretty sure this may have also been a contributor to my inconsistant shifts and missed gears I've been encountering lately.

So, finally back under the car diry hands and all.
    More pics as they come.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    holy dirt/clutch dust Batman! o_O nice TOB you got there lol

After reading through your post I see the need for a new clutch,
    care to share what brand specs you will be using in the future as for a clutch?
    Last edited by phizzalot; 05-11-2011 at 10:09 AM
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Quote Originally Posted by phizzalot View Post
    After reading through your post I see the need for a new clutch,
    care to share what brand specs you will be using in the future as for a clutch?
    I picked up a Fidanza alumnium flywheel and a Fidanza 3.2 clutch.

its a sprung 4 puck with kevlar friction material

the 4 puck design means less mass away from the center of the disc. which means less momentum and weight. This will allow for much quicker shifts.
    The sprung hub and marcel still allow for smooth engagement.

The kevlar friction material apparently lasts for quite a while and can handle abuse.
    Its kind of weird though. when I hold the new disc in my hands, and i touch the kevlar, the best I could decribe it as... is leather.
    So idk how its supposed to hold up lol. But EVERYone says its great.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Great job! Hopefully one day we can meet up.

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast