The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DOHCstunr's 1994 Galant GS build thread *10/31/2012

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 152
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticj View Post
    Great job! Hopefully one day we can meet up.
    I think Deal's Gap would be a great place for it

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    I picked up a Fidanza alumnium flywheel and a Fidanza 3.2 clutch.

its a sprung 4 puck with kevlar friction material

the 4 puck design means less mass away from the center of the disc. which means less momentum and weight. This will allow for much quicker shifts.
    The sprung hub and marcel still allow for smooth engagement.

The kevlar friction material apparently lasts for quite a while and can handle abuse.
    Its kind of weird though. when I hold the new disc in my hands, and i touch the kevlar, the best I could decribe it as... is leather.
    So idk how its supposed to hold up lol. But EVERYone says its great.
    my fidanza clutch went about 13k miles on a stock motor with spirited driving :(

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    my fidanza clutch went about 13k miles on a stock motor with spirited driving :(
    Not sure how you managed to accomplish that lol. I'm betting on about 30k miles out of mine.
    My ACT2100 lasted about 8 years, and multiple turbos.

I've had little time this week to work on things. Last night got the clutch and flywheel bolted up and torqued to spec. cleaned up the transmission and installed the new fulcrum ball and release fork. Greased up the sockets on the fork with moly based grease which works fantastic for my brakes, so i'm sure it will do the same in the bell housing.

Also replaced the Rear Main Seal with a new OEM seal, but didn't take any photo's.

This bad boy is my pride and joy

Flywheel in, and torqued to spec. Red Locktite FTW.

New disc

New hotness Vs Old & Busted

About the last time you'll ever see it this pretty.

Pressure plate installed. Red Locktite FTW.

Thats all I have for today. Again, didn't have much time to work on it yesterday. Going to slap everything back together either tonight when I leave the office, or friday night. Also have a few other goodies coming fedex, so hopefully they arrive today.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

holy crapola 4-puck! Looks awesome John! that torque wrench must be nice! lol
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Dohcstunner, What type of Oil Pump are you replacing your old one with? OEM? Iam looking to replace mine as well since I think its the source of some oil leaks..
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Yes, OEM pump and OEM gasket set.
    I've heard the topline pump is good too. But the savings are marginal.
    Definately do not want to skimp on the gaskets my friend.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

When you get done there let me know and I'll bring mine up.lol

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    this car was my inspiration for my 7G. Keep it up.

topline is good. better savings when it comes to the water pump for sure. oem oil pump and gaskets are onle like 40 bucks more where the water pump is 100 more and doesnt come with gasket or o ring.

nice 4 puck BTW.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Looks good(except for the grimey bay buwahaha).

When are you going up to Deals Gap? I was just thinking today that it would be a sweet weekend trip.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    Looks good(except for the grimey bay buwahaha).

When are you going up to Deals Gap? I was just thinking today that it would be a sweet weekend trip.
    Will be even better this time now that I have a 2nd gear lol!

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Oooh, you will probably still hold the shifter when in second just out of habit :P

I got an replacement oil pump/front cover off eBay, it did not come with the castle plug for the oil pump. Pretty sure OEM is missing it too. I couldn't get my old one off so I just bought a new one, only like $4. Just something to think about ;)
    Last edited by seth98esT; 05-13-2011 at 08:08 AM
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    I think Deal's Gap would be a great place for it
    definitely
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Got some parts yesterday.
    -OEM copper 4 layer exhaust manifold to head gasket.
    -2 OEM front door switches
    -OEM neodymium magnet transmission drain plug
    -a set of OEM exhaust manifold studs and OEM copper lock nuts(one of my studs snapped so screw it I ordered a whole set.
    I can't remember if there was anything else lol.

Some fancy new door switches I've tried rebuilding the original ones multiple times but they never seemed to work properly for long. So once I saw that STM stocks them... i pulled the trigger

Got everything back in.

I don't think I took pics but I went ahead and installed a brand new (non rebuilt) starter. I'm never buying POS parts from autozone etc etc again.

haven't taken a picture of the finished product cause there is a couple of suprises I'm pretty stoked about. Should be posting them in a couple of days once I get my GS back from the fabricator.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

So I've put about 50 miles on the clutch so far.
    Its a little early for a realy review, but first and foremost let me say that it has NEVER been so effortless to slide the shifter into any gear at any rpm. Going with the 4 puck has improved shifting dramatically.
    Also, I know the kevlar has a ways to go before its broken in(900 mile manufacturer required), but the engagement is as smooth as stock. I haven't felt even the slightest hint of chatter. The clutch just grabs and goes. Nice and smooth. I think thats the benefit of the kevlar. Smooth engagement with tons of holding power, and durability.

The new pressure plate is firm but overall has a better feel to it than my old act2100. having installed a new clutch master, slave, release fork and pivot ball has really paid off. I did not shim the pivot ball if anyone wanted to know.
    I'll keep you updated as new developments come in.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Well I'm approaching the 900 mile mark and I'm still as happy as day 1. I probably won't launch it till at least 1500 miles but I'll be glad when I can start leaning on the right pedal again. I'm missing that boostilicious pull.

With all of this weight reduction my engine really sails through the powerband. It rises and falls so quickly and effortlessly. You do have to shift a little bit quicker because the rpms drop soooo fast between shifts, but when you rev it to downshift it is instant. Makes downshifting into any gear even going down 2 gears very seamless.

I wired up some bixenon h4 HID bulbs the other day so now I have quad high beams again. halogen h1 bulbs in the inner lens, and the bixenon HID bulbs in the outer lenses. If you guys have ever seen a h4 bixenon kit you know it comes with a special relay that keeps the low beam on while the high beam solenoid is engaged. Thats because on cars that come standard with h4 bulbs the low beam circuit turns off when the high beam is on and vice-versa. Well since our 7g's keep the high beams on with the low beams, all i did was run the solenoid wires over to the high beam harness and solder/spliced them in. As soon as I pull the high beams the halogen bulbs illuminate and the h4 shield solenoid engages. Makes for an incredible view on the expressway and ky backroads at night. I love it!

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Well its been about 1800 or so miles on the new clutch and I'm happy to say its amazing. I love the way it grabs and how free the motor feels now. Engagement is so smooth and I would absolutely hate to go back to an ACT clutch ever.

Anyways, so I installed a pair of new goodies on the GS yesterday, thought I'd share.

Here's some pics of the stock GS seats. Most people haven't seen them so I thought I'd share:

Note that these aren't faded or worn, its just how the microsuede appears to the camera lens from different angles. The EVO seats do the same thing.

I tried to capture an angle that shows how well bolstered these GS seats are. They really are super comfortable and firm, and the side bolsters hold you in place quite well. This is one of the reasons I never really considered upgrading. But the price on the evo recaros was too good to pass up. So thats how it goes sometimes.
    Even have kangaroo pockets on the back which I will miss.

So far I love the new seats.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

The car looks awesome man!The exedy clutch has smoother engagement over an act clutch?I am probably going to go with the stage 1 exedy clutch when i am ready.The gs seats are different then the other galant seats?I never knew that i thought only the back seat was different.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Nice!
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Experienced TGC Member XxGiRLaNT06xX's Avatar
    Wow the car look amazing! Nice work

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

2011 Ibis White Audi S4
    *When you turn your car on ... does it return the favor?*
    Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    The thread got big fast because Ally is the bomb lol.

I'm so exited to ride in this beast this weekend. I feel like a little kid. :)

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast