The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: my next step

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

my next step

ok, i realized the very next thing i need to do is put an alarm on my car!!!! i was wondering what you guys were running and how you like it? any suggestions on what i should invest in? and since i will be doing the 5spd swap should i not get remote start? i looked around and this section is flooded with audio threads but saw very little that answered my questions about security. any help is great since ill be putting something to protect it on this weekend. thanks guys.
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Im running about 4 to 5 miles a day. I don't like it but I need to stay in shape.

^lmao. thats funny cuz im trying to gain weight. but what alarm do you have to secure your car while you are running...lol
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

I agree, there is little to no information on our site for alarms. I know we had a few MECP installers on our site but they've been dormant for a long time now.

I just started my alarm install on the GSX. I've been reading this site for my info: http://www.causeforalarm.thecarthing...arm/index.html

I personally have the latest Viper with the "1 mile" range thing. The best part about it is the remote is rechargeable. I used to go thru 1 AAA battery every 2 months with the old remotes.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    viper alarm + steering wheel club and i say your good to go

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

thanx qnz... i have been hearing nothing but good things about the viper systems so i may go with that... OFF TOPIC: But i LOVE the GSX i was gonna get that or my G i decided the G since it is a four door has lots of potential and i have a daughter to fit in it. lol but that will be my next car. ill go to the local shop and discuss it with a buddy of mine that works there to get a lil more info, i just kinda was wondering if there was something that came recommended by G owners.
    Last edited by dGALANTc; 04-02-2010 at 02:03 AM
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

TGC Regular
    I'm running a ScyTek 2way alarm with remote start (5100rs) that has a full color pager fob. It works pretty good, but it does eat batteries like Pacman. I have been broken in to once since having it installed, and it didn't page me cause I was out of range. Plus you could tell the thieves were pros and had experience disconnecting alarms. The one thing I don't like about my current alarm is that the full color screen has gone out so I can only tell the status by listening to the different chirps, which defeats the purpose of having a lcd remote. This alarm is now discontinued but I think I can still get a replacement lcd fob. I've been looking for another alarm for my 2nd G, and most likely get a Viper or Excalibur. They seem to have the best 2 way pagers with full color LCD fobs. Leaning more toward Excalibur cause it's a touchscreen remote.

I have a 1 mile range 2 way Python alarm that I purchased about a year ago. Im very happy with it and the features it comes with:

Full alarm
    Keyless entry
    Remote start (dont have, optional)
    Window option (dont have, optional)
    Trunk
    Starter Kill

The shop told me its possible to use this for a car with a manual tranny, but it would cost more since they would have to install extra relay's for engaging the clutch so the car will start...
    Last edited by tjones156; 04-02-2010 at 09:34 PM Reason: Feature correction

Success is achieved through dedication and personal sacrifice. Eye for an Eye_Tooth for Tooth_Blood for Blood.

Installing an auto starter is not so safe because the length of the alarm's wires are short enough that you have to mount it under the dash. They would trace the auto start wires back to the brain and pull it out, bypassing your starter kill.

A good anti-theft system would layers of security. So you have your alarm, starter kill, maybe fuel pump kill, immobilizer, and backup battery. It would slow them down enough that they may want to just give up.

^Thanks for the tip, its much appreciated. Had no idea and im glad I dont have the remote start feature because of that. Dont have the window feature either, I just listed them as the options for the alarm I have.
    Last edited by tjones156; 04-02-2010 at 09:36 PM

Success is achieved through dedication and personal sacrifice. Eye for an Eye_Tooth for Tooth_Blood for Blood.

Quote Originally Posted by tjones156 View Post
    ^Thanks for the tip, its much appreciated. Had no idea and im glad I dont have the remote start feature because of that. Dont have the window feature either, I just listed them as the options for the alarm I have.
    even tho you dont have remote start, I bet your installer installed the alarm brain under the dash, amirite? and your siren is on the firewall right in plain sight? A real install would be stealth and would have the thief guessing where the brain is and the siren hidden as well.

A typical amateur theif would walk by the car and bump it to see if the owner is paying attention. Owner didnt come out? Ok, break into car, quickly pop the hood and locate and cut the siren wire. Siren chirps for what? All of 5 seconds? now thief can take his time locating the brain and bypassing the starter kill. Oh, its tucked under the dash? how convenient, he was gonna go under there anyway to hotwire the car.

But wait, theres more. you had remote start? Sweet, now you left the key for him in a box so all he needs to do is remove the remote start box and the key with transponder (chip) is in there.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    you can put a remote starter youll have 2 bypass the clutch i believe but you should only put one if you really need it. here in new england the winter sucks

thats a lot of info and im almost a blonde when it comes to security... thanks so i should make sure that the brain and siren is hidden along with multiple layers of security to make sure that a thief may just give up. i was also wondering if it would be better to do the install myself (with some help of course), or just specify exactly what i want to the installer of choice?
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

you could do it yourself but its always good 2 get it prof. installed im pretty good with electronics n audio but i still get my stuff done proffesionally just 2 be safe. that decision is completely up 2 you.

thanks I probably will get the prof. to do it just to be safe thanks a lot guys for the info and input.
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

no prob....your welcome

If your going to do the 5 speed conversion then go viper, Prestige no longer has a neutral safety switch on the alarm remote starts. The new viper's are pretty cool anyway. I wouldn't go with anything other than those two brands personally.
    Sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    viper 5902 ftw!!!

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

im gonna be rocking the drive star alarm and pushbutton start