The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: v6TB swap into i4 question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21

v6TB swap into i4 question

I just installed my V6TB into my 4cly (thanks to galantfan88) i did notice alittle bit of pull and better sound from my muffler... but i also notice a slightly higher idle and something i didnt notice even before..... its getting harder to brake.. brake pads are new and rotors are resurface... it feels like the car is still rolling and i need to step alittle harder to stop it... i realize that the car left on "D" drive, keeps on rolling 5-10mph, i even went up a small hill and "damn" the car made it without pressing on the peddle..is it normal???
    For the high idle i tried tweeking with TB adjuster i screwed it in to where i didnt hear the engine asloud...when i first start it idles high up to 2000rpm then goes down to below 700-800 but when i had the i4 TB it was at 0 in idle and neutral...

car feels like its beeing gas even without pressing on the peddle
    any input helps....Thanks in advance....
    wise up or stand down

mine idles at 2000 for a second, then goes down to bout 1500, but thats cause its been cold, once it warms up its around 600-700.

As far as the brakeing, does it get better once you get on the brakes a few times??

Does the v6 tb allow more air through the IAC?Sounds like it's supplying enough air at idle to feed 6 cylinders and now it's feeding 4 cylinders.Sounds like the brake issue and idle issue are one in the same,gotta apply more braking pressure to slow a car idling too high.

well when you swap iac you have to swap the v6 iac too. s

hmmm...jerm, make sense it could be...the swap is a pretty good mod for me i love the response and a litte bit better sound on my gtmuffler.. just wasnt sure if it was normal.. but imma tweek the TB a little i just dont know how much i need for it to breathe during idle in park or neutral???
    as for the IAC i am pretty sure its from a v6..same goes for the TPS... my G hasnt thrown any codes and its been driviing like usual go to 70 - 80 without problems
    well, Thanks fellas for the quick reply
    wise up or stand down

I do believe a normal idle is around 700rpms

Back from the dead!!!

anything between 600-800 is normal idle for most cars.

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Try to adjust the idle. When I had it on my car I had to adjust it here and there but after it was fine. You know where the idle adjuster is located right?

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Sounds like the IAC sensor or adjust your throttle/accelerator cable...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

hmm pretty sure its not the iac? i hope not, but ill try to pick some up from the junkyard and try it out... but im not throwing any codes....today i closed the screw and slightly opened it and relieved some of the slack on the TB cable... help the idle..well fellas so far so good...maybe if i have time i can make a vid......thanks for the input..

OHH this can be a super noob question but would a v6 maf sensor work on a I4? will it be a upgrade performance wise?
    Last edited by jamesgalant; 11-06-2010 at 11:50 PM
    wise up or stand down

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgalant View Post
    hmm pretty sure its not the iac? i hope not, but ill try to pick some up from the junkyard and try it out... but im not throwing any codes....today i closed the screw and slightly opened it and relieved some of the slack on the TB cable... help the idle..well fellas so far so good...maybe if i have time i can make a vid......thanks for the input..

OHH this can be a super noob question but would a v6 maf sensor work on a I4? will it be a upgrade performance wise?
    yes it will.. no performance gain

actualy if a remeber correctly the size of the v6 maf is different, but that may solve the idle issues. you would have to scale it in the ecu, so theoretically yes it would, but you would need some things to run it correctly

I think he said the idle was fixed by adjusting the throttle cable.The factory I4 MAF doesn't seem like a restriction,as long as it's functioning properly,no reason at all to change it for a different one.

i agree, but someone stated about the v6 i was just throwing some info for thought out there

V6 MAF sensor is the same part number as the I4. The diamante MAF is different. But the v6 and the i4 share the same MAF. Coming to idle, when engine is cold the IAC will send signals to the ECU to increase the RPM so engine could get to operating temperature. As the engine gets to op temp it will decrease RPM to 700-800 at idle "park or neutral" When you put it on drive it should go down to 600 RPM. Every time you change the TPS or IAC you should disconnect the battery so ECU could be reset. ECU will relearn the idle speed; let it run for 10 min with the engine running on park. Also just adjust the idle screw to 700-800 RPM on park if you increase it more than 1000 RPM you will get a service engine code. Remember v6 TB is 65 mm, a little more air should be coming in making better throttle response.

PS. If your MAF sensor was bad trust me you will notice the engine acting up, it feels like a missfire, Idle will be all over the place feels like the engine is going to stall.
    Last edited by Isaurio; 11-08-2010 at 12:44 PM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    V6 MAF sensor is the same part number as the I4. The diamante MAF is different. But the v6 and the i4 share the same MAF. Coming to idle, when engine is cold the IAC will send signals to the ECU to increase the RPM so engine could get to operating temperature. As the engine gets to op temp it will decrease RPM to 700-800 at idle "park or neutral" When you put it on drive it should go down to 600 RPM. Every time you change the TPS or IAC you should disconnect the battery so ECU could be reset. ECU will relearn the idle speed; let it run for 10 min with the engine running on park. Also just adjust the idle screw to 700-800 RPM on park if you increase it more than 1000 RPM you will get a service engine code. Remember v6 TB is 65 mm, a little more air should be coming in making better throttle response.

PS. If your MAF sensor was bad trust me you will notice the engine acting up, it feels like a missfire, Idle will be all over the place feels like the engine is going to stall.
    2x
    100% correct

Going back to this topic on changing the V6 MAF sensor like the diamante to the I4. I'm going to do some testing by swapping out the 501 Maf to 609 Maf. Reasons? I changed the outlander mani with a diamante TB. I want to see if changing the MAF to the 609 will benefit more from the lager TB. I will need to recalibrate the 609 MAF to the ECU also going to try the diamante injectors since the Maf and the injectors works together. I'm just testing the waters here, "if you dont try you wont know". Since is a good practice for my next big project. DeezNuts and I are going to do some testing for this MOD. Is all about math and engineering :).

SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    Sounds like a nice little project let us know the results.

Sent from my Blackberry Curve 3G using Tapatalk.
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    Going back to this topic on changing the V6 MAF sensor like the diamante to the I4. I'm going to do some testing by swapping out the 501 Maf to 609 Maf. Reasons? I changed the outlander mani with a diamante TB. I want to see if changing the MAF to the 609 will benefit more from the lager TB. I will need to recalibrate the 609 MAF to the ECU also going to try the diamante injectors since the Maf and the injectors works together. I'm just testing the waters here, "if you dont try you wont know". Since is a good practice for my next big project. DeezNuts and I are going to do some testing for this MOD. Is all about math and engineering :).
    why dimante injectors?? In order to do this you are going to have to rescale the injectors, and the MAF. I honestly bet there wouldnt be significant increase.
    how much is the opening and outlet to the Diamante MAF? If there isnt a significant size difference gains will be minimal.
    What injector duty cycle are your injectors at now? If you arent no where near maxing them out then why change to a bigger injector?

In order to reap the benefits to this you are going to have to retune the entire map. I assume you are using a stock galant map. I havent seen a stock galant map, but if its anything like the evos, it probably runs pig rich in several areas.

Also is your year ECU flashible? As i remeber reading on the tuning that only certain year ECUs are flashible.

Yes 02 ECU it could be flash. This is not about how big is the opening of the MAF. Is about the signals that are being sent to the ECU. If you put a big TB like the diamante from 58mm to a 68mm is a big different of air coming in the intake mani. So we need to adjust a few things like the MAF and the injectors because the stock injector won’t deliver enough fuel to mix with the extra air. If you change the MAF you need to change the injectors. Every sensor every part have their function to work together. If you change one you need to change the other. Is not about the HP gain is about how well the engine could perform. Of course I will have to flash the ECU and remap the MAF and the injectors.
    Last edited by Isaurio; 01-24-2011 at 02:28 PM

SOHC Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast