The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HID Projector Fog Light Retrofit

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Icon10 HID Projector Fog Light Retrofit

Ok so... here is the fog lights I bought off eBay... so you can get a good look at how the brackets on them are. As you can see there's no way to make those brackets fit. So I took the plugs out and started a retrofit. I used a dremel to make a hole in them, removed the brackets that came with the fog lights, and replaced them with 2 L shaped brackets as you'll see in the picture. This allows me to be able to aim vertically as necessary. I also made the hole in the plug a bit bigger top to bottom to allow just enough room for aiming.

Update: I finished dremeling the other plug, cleaned them up a bit so they were smoothed out, got both of them mounted and ran the relay harness. When the moment of truth came to light them up, the little LED on the toggle switch was burnt out, I thought maybe the fogs weren't working but I went around the front and they were. Ain't that a bitch?!?! So after I went and exchanged the toggle switch and installed it, below are the pics of the finished product. Both HID kits are 6000k and match quite nicely in real life, just don't show up so well on the camera. Between the both, they definitely light up the road and turn some heads.

Last edited by tr1kst4nce; 04-04-2010 at 09:50 PM

Damn, those look really nice! Good job on the fitment. Are those the P1 universal?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I might be wrong but typically projectors are supposed to be inside a housing of some sort for protection. Lets say you have the fogs on for 45 mins or so and the lens gets hot and then it starts raining....the water hitting the hot lens will cause it to cool rapidly, making it brittle and causing it to crack. There is also the risk of rocks and stuff chipping it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    I might be wrong but typically projectors are supposed to be inside a housing of some sort for protection. Lets say you have the fogs on for 45 mins or so and the lens gets hot and then it starts raining....the water hitting the hot lens will cause it to cool rapidly, making it brittle and causing it to crack. There is also the risk of rocks and stuff chipping it.
    Those are projectors that are usually inside a headlight housing. These are meant as after market and people usually mount them under the front end of their bumper. I use to have some on an old 95 Lumina when I was 16 and they weren't as good of quality as these. These are a lot thicker and also have a weeping hole on the underside to allow for venting. The lense is a good half inch thick or a so, I don't think it will get brittle and crack. Besides... OEM fogs lenses are made of plastic and do fine. I don't have any concerns with these. But we'll see what happens eh? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
    Damn, those look really nice! Good job on the fitment. Are those the P1 universal?
    Yep, P1's. I'me loving them. They're thick and heavy and very solid. Can't wait for morning to get started again and finish.

Next week, I'll be getting a billet upper and lower grill to boast ;)

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    Those are projectors that are usually inside a headlight housing. These are meant as after market and people usually mount them under the front end of their bumper. I use to have some on an old 95 Lumina when I was 16 and they weren't as good of quality as these. These are a lot thicker and also have a weeping hole on the underside to allow for venting. The lense is a good half inch thick or a so, I don't think it will get brittle and crack. Besides... OEM fogs lenses are made of plastic and do fine. I don't have any concerns with these. But we'll see what happens eh? ;-)
    the reason I was concerned is because OEM fog lenses are plastic but that plastic lens faces the elements not the lens of the projector, because the projector usually sits inside something. If they are thick and have a weep hole, you should be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Updated with pics added of the finished product. Look up ^

congrats!!!, looks great!
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Looks really good, Good Job, Now we need better pics of the cutoff of those fogs at night.

4g64T 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    Yep, P1's. I'me loving them. They're thick and heavy and very solid. Can't wait for morning to get started again and finish.

Next week, I'll be getting a billet upper and lower grill to boast ;)
    Thats awesome. They look great man, im waiting for my P1A's to come in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post
    Looks really good, Good Job, Now we need better pics of the cutoff of those fogs at night.
    You'll get them, I'm going to go out later tonight to do some aiming once it gets dark, last night I was just too tired.

Updated with better cutoff photo.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Uhhh nice cutoff, nice mod the g looks really good and clean.

4g64T 5spd