The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to get a good sound???

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

How to get a good sound???

I'm wanting to get a good sound out of my 2005 Galant ES, 2.4L mivec. I was thinking some type of after market intake, and an exhaust would do the trick for a nice clean rumble... but nothing obnoxious.

What essentially is the difference between a short ram intake, and a cold air intake?

What are some intakes and exhausts that would give me a good clean sound and a lil HP boost perhaps? Suggestions?

Here in Indianapolis, winters can be horrid, bitter cold and lots of snow, other times not so much. Summers are hot and humid with some good storms. Not sure if that will make a difference but I'm putting it out there.

Let me know guys, thanks.

These have been tackled a lot of times. Go use the Search button my friend.
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

Quote Originally Posted by Galante View Post
    These have been tackled a lot of times. Go use the Search button my friend.
    I did that, but many are from 1-2 years ago.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Many of the 8G guys just buy a Magnaflow, Greddy or APEX'i muffler and get it installed, and you get a deep tone.

4g64T 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Not sure how easy it is for you to acquire that rumble sound you're looking for being that you have the 2.4L. For the 3.8L 9G's its pretty easy.. I would start off with a short ram intake and a cat-back exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    Not sure how easy it is for you to acquire that rumble sound you're looking for being that you have the 2.4L. For the 3.8L 9G's its pretty easy.. I would start off with a short ram intake and a cat-back exhaust.
    What is the difference between short ram and cold air? And which brand intake should I get? I've seen people mention AEM, Injen, Fujita... but when I look on their sites they have nothing for the galant.

Is an intake roughly easy to install?

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Look for 4G eclipse intakes its interchangeable, its fairly easy if you did your fogs you should be able to install it.

4g64T 5spd

Intakes are probably the easiest performance mod to install. I'd go with Short ram becuase the CAI could suck up water from the road. HP gains are about the same. You won't feel it anyway. Go to andysautosport.com that's where i usually order from select the make model and year and it will list parts for the 9G.
    Last edited by Stepsascend; 04-05-2010 at 10:58 PM

I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

want i did to may 09 galant 2.4 i have megan custom catback...and short ram intake...it sounds good but not like v6...but ill say its worth it...plus for the short ram intake you will hear the intake sound @5k rpm its kind of mean

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    I'm wanting to get a good sound out of my 2005 Galant ES, 2.4L mivec. I was thinking some type of after market intake, and an exhaust would do the trick for a nice clean rumble... but nothing obnoxious.

What essentially is the difference between a short ram intake, and a cold air intake?

What are some intakes and exhausts that would give me a good clean sound and a lil HP boost perhaps? Suggestions?

Here in Indianapolis, winters can be horrid, bitter cold and lots of snow, other times not so much. Summers are hot and humid with some good storms. Not sure if that will make a difference but I'm putting it out there.

Let me know guys, thanks.
    You should be running a cold air in the summer, it draws more in through induction under the bumper, and draws the coolest air (cold air intake) You should be running a Short ram in the winter, with a water/particle filter so you don't waterlog the block.

If you don't understand on what the difference it is, then you need to start using your friend, www.GOOGLE.COM seriously.

As for brand, everyones right, fujita and Injen are pretty much the best out there and they have PROVEN HP gains.

If you got the money you can go with an HKS, or K&N, or Edelbrock, Id only recomend the HKS with high high Horses, and the Edelbrock only on true muscle/street or track.

Hope that helps and makes it easier for you.

Some K&N kits come with both the down pipe (Cold Air) and the shorter pipe (Short ram)

But you'll have to search high and low for them, try Kragens auto parts, or go direct through the vendor.

Most of these kits will not even advertise or tell you about the accessories, like the water shields etc etc that are available. Most people dont use them, but if your going to leave on the intake 24/7 you should look into it.

If you don't it could cost you your ride in the long run.

If you can't find the exact one for your year of galant, just search for what other vehicles have the SAME EXACT enging set up. I believe the new gen eclipses are running the same engine as our 9th gens. But don't quote me on that.

Take it from my expirence and knowledge as well, if the kit says bolt on.... You will ALWAYS be having to cut or bend something to get it to fit properly.

Quote Originally Posted by mattienorton View Post
    You should be running a cold air in the summer, it draws more in through induction under the bumper, and draws the coolest air (cold air intake) You should be running a Short ram in the winter, with a water/particle filter so you don't waterlog the block.

If you don't understand on what the difference it is, then you need to start using your friend, www.GOOGLE.COM seriously.

As for brand, everyones right, fujita and Injen are pretty much the best out there and they have PROVEN HP gains.

If you got the money you can go with an HKS, or K&N, or Edelbrock, Id only recomend the HKS with high high Horses, and the Edelbrock only on true muscle/street or track.

Hope that helps and makes it easier for you.

Some K&N kits come with both the down pipe (Cold Air) and the shorter pipe (Short ram)

But you'll have to search high and low for them, try Kragens auto parts, or go direct through the vendor.

Most of these kits will not even advertise or tell you about the accessories, like the water shields etc etc that are available. Most people dont use them, but if your going to leave on the intake 24/7 you should look into it.

If you don't it could cost you your ride in the long run.

If you can't find the exact one for your year of galant, just search for what other vehicles have the SAME EXACT enging set up. I believe the new gen eclipses are running the same engine as our 9th gens. But don't quote me on that.

Take it from my expirence and knowledge as well, if the kit says bolt on.... You will ALWAYS be having to cut or bend something to get it to fit properly.
    I appreciate the info. You guys may know better than me, but living in Indianapolis where it doesn't really flood, just rains and storms a bit... I don't think my car would hydro-lock from a cold air intake during a normal rain. I would think I would have to go through a flooded area for that to happen. But who knows.

It seems that everyone concurs, if it will fit the 2.4 on the new eclipses it will fit the 2.4 on the new galants.

Hopefully an air intake will give it some better sound along with a magnaflow muffler. Not looking to put on a whole exhaust I don't think.