The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Best options for increasing power/ acceleration?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 40 of 40
    Exactly, these mods dont make or make insignificant amount of power. lets say they free the power the engine already has. Youll see real gains with turbo only
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    i have personally experienced 4 failing trannies from the auto with very little mods. i had the turbo on for a short period of time but it probably would have destroyed it soon and i know its only a matter of time before this one goes so i am going 5 spd this time. you can get the whole swap with a nice clutch and flywheel setup for less than a good used 7g auto(suprised theres even any that havent blown yet) and you will feel so much more with the 5 spd. i had a 5 spd 95 and it was faster on a bad day then my auto 7g on a good day.

5 spd and turbo is honestly the way to go
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

stay stock weight if possible on flywheels too btw. I have a 13lb one cause it was cheaper then buying a brand new stock one. Once you get to light the car will just bog.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    stay stock weight if possible on flywheels too btw. I have a 13lb one cause it was cheaper then buying a brand new stock one. Once you get to light the car will just bog.

why is that?

Icon6 I guess I hit a nerve

You give me a lot to think about... Still the auto has done well for me and unlike some of the guys who post here I have to contend with mountain driving combined with city and freeway. I live right on the edge of the L.A. Metroplex which means I have all different kinds of driving conditions -40 mins to the desert, an hour to the beach, the ski resort is 30 minutes away at 8,000 ft... And of course there is A LOT of freeway driving here.

Just one of the reasons I went away from a stick. Like I said 'I like to put it in gear and go...'

If going 5 speed is the only option for increased power, then I guess I've got my answer. But from what I've read in the last few posts, it seems the cost would exceed any potential gain. Of course I could consider dropping an eclipse V6 or 3000GT motor in??

Just thinking out loud...

3KGT motor would be expensive and add weight and the eclipse V6 wouldnt work so squash that. The power gains from a 5 speed arent actually adding power, its making proper use of the power the engine has. As far as performance you will notice a difference because the gearing is different and as I said the power the engine has gets to the ground efficiently. The "power" adding as said by everyone, turbo is your best bet. But it would not be recommended with the auto. Hope that clears it up some for you...the cost of the swap is worth it.

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

5 Speed Swap

how much do you guys think it cost to do a 5 speed swap?, i gt a 2002 galant automatic.

your asking in the wrong thread. This is for 7G's....its a different beast. I truly have no answer for you. I cant imagine it being too much though

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Sorry I did not read that he had an auto! Manual trans is the only way to go!

Turbo would be awesome but may people will never make it happen.

Since he was asking I figured turbo was not an option.

RedLine DOHC

Read this

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...ion/index.html

Yeah Yeah Please harass me for linking a import tuner page!

The Auto trans is a piece! They always fall apart.

I understand but I'm done with stick

Thanks for the input and for a while I was actually considering the swap but then I looked at the cost and how I hated driving manual plus finances in this economy (no thanks to congress and 'obuma' - misspelled intentionally)...

Well you get the picture.

I find it strange that the only option for improved performance (at least in general) based on the response so far, is a five speed swap plus turbo. That is not the answer I was looking for.

Thanks anyway!

As one of my buddies keeps (painfully) reminding me, you've got to pay to play. A DOHC head swap and turbo are great ways to go. I don't recommend it but a used JDM 4G63-T engine and possibly tranny could work out for you as well. I didn't catch the model year of your 7g but if it is OBD2using an EVO ECU and wiring in the extra bits could be an option. That would take a fair amount of research and work on your part. Actually, most all of these options would. If you really want cheap and fast that's easy to mod your best bet is something that already comes fast and probably turbo. 1g/2g DSM's are a good bet if you don't need four doors. The AWD automatic is supposed to be pretty tough too.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    i thought the JDM 4G63T was right hand drive?
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by Rach3T8G View Post
    i thought the JDM 4G63T was right hand drive?
    While that is true it makes no difference whatsoever on how the engine and tranny are built. A JDM 4G63-T is the same as a USDM 4G63-T of comparable model year. They just get imported for less than you can find a decent running one here most of the time.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Hello,
    I see that you intend and want to stick with driving a A/T car because it fits your driving needs and habits right now and that is fine and I won't suggest doing a 5 speed swap again. If you dont plan to make huge amounts of power (300+hp)...a a/t should be fine as long its not daily abused. If anything..you can use a 2g Eclipse A/T from GS-t's.

Depending what your budget is...that is going to dictate what you can do to make more power out of your 7g. I don't know what your budget is....so I am going to give you some ballpark prices on what mods you can do to make some power:

-NOS :You can get a kit for around $400-$500. Cheap power but you got to refill the tank when you are out and w/o proper caution you can blow up the motor.

-5 speed swap : Depending what you find in parts..you are looking around $500-$700 ish in parts, thats just ballpark depending if you find a good deal the parts needed to swap. M/T frees up power that the motor is making. A a/t has more drivetrain loss to the wheels...so power is freed up and response is gained with a M/T.

-Turbo the SOHC 4G64: Again depending what you find in parts deals for the turbo setup...you can spend around $1000ish for the whole set up. Power gains will be very noticable and make great power by just adding a turbo to a 4G64. Another benefit you can use alot of the 4G63 aftermarket parts to make power on a 4G64 since they are almost identical.

-Engine swap
    *4G63t: You are looking to spend at LEAST $1500..but expect to pay a bit more. Power gains will be instant and the limitless potential what 4G63 can do. A bit more involved pertaining in wiring.

*3kgt or JDM 6A12tt Galant VR4 V6 swap: At least $2000 in parts... I have seen it done and its a pretty sweet swap...BUT its involving. Engine bay will be really cramped and got to remember handling behavior of the car will drastically change as the V6 is heavier that a I4. Weight distribution will be more front heavy.

Everyone can suggest what to do..but in the end your budget will dictate what you can do to make more power.

Hope this helps.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

94Galant
    Always been a auto man too, but after reading this i guess i better learn to drive a stick :/

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 94Galant View Post
    Always been a auto man too, but after reading this i guess i better learn to drive a stick :/
    its easy to drive 5 speed man and after a few weeks its second nature. in hadnt driven 5 speed in 2 years then i drove my buddies 1g for a weekend and had no issues at all. i learned when i was 13 and picked it up in 1 day so you can do it.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Dont let these 7g bullies pressure you into getting a 5-speed. My GSX is 5speed. I dont particularly enjoy rowing thru the gears everytime in traffic.

yope 5speed in traffic is just the worst to drive

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    Dont let these 7g bullies pressure you into getting a 5-speed. My GSX is 5speed. I dont particularly enjoy rowing thru the gears everytime in traffic.
    Really? I like driving a M/T in traffic. It gets my mind off the traffic not moving and onto just driving the car. It also gets me to drive more smoothly by not copying the jack-rabbit start/stop driving of the people around me which is really inefficient and wears stuff out.

Icon14 That is great information!

That is probably the most informative post I've read in this thread. It gives me several options to consider and of course you are right in stating the whole thing comes down to one factor - $$$. As for 'bullying'... no worries. I hated driving stick for many reasons and the memory of that is enough to make me stay with an AT. If you like the stick, fine. But I prefer to just put it in drive and go.

So, a 5 speed swap is not going to happen. And btw, I've had my 7G for 10 years with the same transmission with no problems. FYI for those who made the negative comments about the trans; I just know how to take care of a car and make it last versus having a stick and replacing multiple clutches in the same period.

Been there, Done that - ain't goin' back!

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12