The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Went to wire up the speedo...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 195
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    yup
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member
    -_- I have now tired all possible combinations... It has led me to believe that the speed sensor might just be toast?
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

That could be true, but you still had it wired wrong before. Now just swap in a different sensor.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

That's odd Brian, cuz i'm using the yellow/black and gray/white wires and my speedo works fine. :? :? :?

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Experienced TGC Member
    Haha this is so confusing
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Quote Originally Posted by run1206 View Post
    That's odd Brian, cuz i'm using the yellow/black and gray/white wires and my speedo works fine. :? :? :?
    well im basing my info based on what you guys showed me. Im assuming you have the correct connector inside the car being C17, and you listed wire #3&4, my diagrams show them to be different wires. If you were looking for wires 1&2 then your wire colors would be correct as yellow/black and gray/white.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Stewi, i just rewired my harness to those exact pins you mentioned and it doesn't work at all. :( Before i admit, pins 1 or 2 might be connected to something with the fuel cuz when i was at 3/4 full the start working (at full it wouldn't but any fuel level lower it would work). Don't know, gonna check the voltages on those wires tomorrow; drove it home from a friend's house and the speedo didn't work at all.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd

im wondering if the pins are different on the 02-03, the only diagrams I have are the 99-01's

if I had the car in front of me I could figure it out
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

do you think there could be a difference in between the 02-03 models as well? i mean if those wires worked for run1206 who is an 02, and not for whitegalant who is an 03, maybe its just a tad different... or maybe whitegalant has a bad speed sensor... i was hoping this will be figured out before friday lol, cuz thats when i'm doing the swap, and i'm an 03.... and the wiring diagrams, lol ive been looking at em, but man, i can't figure them out lol

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

excuse my ignorance, but what are you trying to do with the speed sensor signal wire? are you wiring it directly to the speedo or to the ecu?

And why do I see my name like 8 times on this page? haha

qnz: i'm wiring to the harness at C-17

i know one of the wires i had before might have been wrong, cuz when the fuel tank is below 3/4 full, the speedo starts working. Any higher and it would spike up and down and not hold the correct speed. I'm currently wired to the other wires stewi mentioned (blue/red and white/black) and not output is shown whatsoever. Maybe there is a difference in the diagrams, i'm not sure. I have the diagrams from galantforums.com's archive that prophet had, assuming that it's for the 8G Galants (all 1999-2003).

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    excuse my ignorance, but what are you trying to do with the speed sensor signal wire? are you wiring it directly to the speedo or to the ecu?
    Yea we're wiring it directly to the speedo.

ah, I see. I havent been following the 5-speed conversion thread for 02-03. I should pay attention tho since I'm an 03

if I get some more free time im gonna work on this.....
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

any update?
    Fully Built 4G63
    HKS 272
    ported Dual Ball Bearing FP RED 84mm 25psi w/ external dump

this is out of the 7g manual. might help might not

"Circuit Test (Eclipse, Galant & Mirage)

1) Disconnect vehicle speed sensor harness connector. Turn
    ignition on. Check voltage between ground and vehicle speed sensor
    harness-side connector terminal No. 3 (Yellow/White wire on Eclipse 2.
    0L Non-Turbo models and Galant, or Yellow wire on Eclipse 2.0L Turbo
    and 2.4L models and Mirage). Voltmeter should read 4.5 volts or
    greater. If voltage is as specified, go to step 4). If voltage is not
    as specified, go to step 5).

2) Check voltage between ground and vehicle speed sensor
    harness-side connector terminal No. 1 (Yellow wire on Eclipse 2.0L
    Non-Turbo models, Black/White wire on Eclipse 2.0L Turbo and 2.4L
    models and Mirage, or Yellow/White wire on Galant). Voltmeter should
    read battery voltage. If voltage is as specified, go to step 4). If
    voltage is not as specified, go to step 5).

3) Check continuity between ground and vehicle speed sensor
    harness-side connector terminal No. 2 (Black/Green wire on Eclipse 2.
    0L Non-Turbo models, or Black wire on Eclipse 2.0L Turbo and 2.4L
    models, Galant and Mirage). If continuity is present, go to next step.
    If continuity is not present, go to step 5).

4) Check harness connector to instrument cluster. Repair as
    necessary. If connector is okay, check circuit between vehicle speed
    sensor and power supply. See WIRING DIAGRAMS. Repair as necessary.

5) Check harness connectors to instrument cluster and vehicle
    speed sensor. Repair as necessary. If connectors are okay, check
    circuit between vehicle speed sensor and instrument cluster. See
    WIRING DIAGRAMS. Repair as necessary."

Last edited by RedLine DOHC; 05-16-2010 at 01:55 AM

I'm just gonna rewire my speed sensor back to how i had it before, temporarily until I can do the voltage checks that Redline showed. That's the only way how i see it working.

so i hooked up the speed sensor to pins 3 and 4 on c-17, and nothing, swapped the wires around and nothing.... i was thinking about switching it to pins 1 and 2 but if that has to do with the fuel system as run1206 was thinking, and his speedometer only works after its less than 1/4 empty, could it be that he tapped into the signal that is used to move the fuel guage, and he is using a signal for fuel guage, as the power wire of the speed sensors... thats why is jumpy? idk it makes some sense to me. my other question. could we just give it power say from the battery, the speedsensor at least, and just tap into the connectors that acutally tap into the gauge cluster? for the singal wire? or does it have to go to the ecu...

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

no no, pins 3 and 4 are the ones that i might see involved with the fuel system, not 1 and 2. I took some pictures of the wires and diagrams of the possible fixup, though I might have to disconnect the battery after 10 minutes. Will post up the pics and details soon.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast