The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Went to wire up the speedo...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 195
    I was able to wire up my speedo 2 days ago. The Yellow wire from the speed sensor is the ground (connected to the battery), the White goes to the
    Grey/Silver on the C17 connector and the Black goes to the Black/Yellow. My tank was half full at the time. I will try to get a full tank of gas and see if I will have the same problem run1206 had.

I hope this helps bro since we have the same wire colors from the speed sensor.
    Last edited by Galante; 08-30-2010 at 11:50 AM
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

Experienced TGC Member
    That sounds like the same color as the wires on my speed sensor, might give this a shot tonight.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Experienced TGC Member
    Ok galante I tried what you did and still no luck. The only thing I did differenty was ground to the transmission and not the battery.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Grounding either to the transmission or battery should be fine. Try changing the sensor, it could be busted. The speedo was sloppy at first but it's normal now after driving for couple of minutes (same as what run1206 experienced).
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

Experienced TGC Member
    Hmm guess Ill do that next.

so uuuuum i may have missed the solution to this but any updates?

Sorry I haven't posted in a while here. I left my speedo the same and haven't filled the gas tank all the way. Ill send stewi my diagrams to see if my wiring is messed up somewhere; I know one of the wires are hooked to one of the voltage signals to the gas somehow. Just gotta figure out which one. Will try other wire combos this week or next week.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

ok here is a thought, are the engine harness the same across the years? except for the speed sensor connector, in the 02 and 03 its not there, cuz they went to VSS system... so can't we just swap the engine harness? and that should totally fix the speedo problem correct?

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

gotta check if the ECU will read the signals the same across different harnesses

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by galantman03 View Post
    ok here is a thought, are the engine harness the same across the years? except for the speed sensor connector, in the 02 and 03 its not there, cuz they went to VSS system... so can't we just swap the engine harness? and that should totally fix the speedo problem correct?
    if thats the case i have a 99 2.4 harness that i'll let go for cheap

Quote Originally Posted by run1206 View Post
    gotta check if the ECU will read the signals the same across different harnesses
    well i guess if you have the sensor sending info across the wire to the ecu and its the same path, via correct pins, it should all work, the wire won't change your signal persay, its just a route for your sensors readings to get there... the only thing that i'm curious about is the 99 to 01 they use a speed sensor correct? where as the 02 to 03 used the vss so if its still the same sign wave signal or square wave, well whatever signal it is, and its the same against all years, it should work. hmm..

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galantman03 View Post
    well i guess if you have the sensor sending info across the wire to the ecu and its the same path, via correct pins, it should all work, the wire won't change your signal persay, its just a route for your sensors readings to get there... the only thing that i'm curious about is the 99 to 01 they use a speed sensor correct? where as the 02 to 03 used the vss so if its still the same sign wave signal or square wave, well whatever signal it is, and its the same against all years, it should work. hmm..
    VSS stands for vehicle speed sensor. The 99-01 use the external removable sensor, the 02-03's use an internal sensor. How the internal sensor reads the speed is unknown to me, it may read off the differential (like the 99-01) or it may use an input shaft speed and output shaft speed sensor and do some sort of math equation to figure out the vehicle speed. If it is a math equation, where does it take place? Im gonna guess inside the ETACS ECU under the dash. I know you can throw a 02-03 cluster in a 99 and have no problems and vice versa, so its not in the cluster. I wish I had access to a 02-03 car so I could just go to town with a multimeter and figure this shit out.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

^ i know on my tranny i had to sensors for the vss, one on the input and one on the output, how do i know this? its says in the manual that i downloaded, and i think its a magnetic pulse detection sensor, meaning that there is a magnet in the tranny itself, one on the input, and one on the output, and everytime it goes around it senses it and creates a pulse. well what i don't understand is why did they change it up? what is the benifit of have the computer calculate the speed? compared to just the removable sensor? what i do know cuz i have tried it is that you cannot hook up the speed sensor to the output speed sensor harness, and expect it to work. but then again i could have a bad speed sensor. But if you swap the harness to a 99 01 then you will need the ecu to go along with it is what your saying since it does the math inside the ecu. unless its the same math, just a different way of measuring to get the signal, but if you have 2 signals going to the 02 03 ecu and only one going to the 01 99, then just swaping the harness won't help, cuz your still missing a signal, so its not going to calculate the right speed. unless it is actually calculating the speed in the automatice tranny ecu, i forgot what its called, the powertrain something lol. i wish i had better schematics to tell you what voltage the signal was. ok question, if you swap the evo ecu, the 02 03 guys still would have to tap into the c17 harness to get the speed sensor to work correct?

I'm going to use alldata to find the VSS on the 02-03 galant. Let see where the sensor goes. I checked that the Vehicle Speed Sensor ( VSS ) is located on top right front of transaxle housing. it seems there are two sensors working together to make the speedometer to work the other sensor is trans main shaft speed sensor. Just throwing ideas here.
    Last edited by Isaurio; 12-06-2010 at 11:13 PM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

That all makes sense. That magnetic pulse sensor is also called a Hall Effect Sensor. Its the same style as the cam and crank sensors, sending a "pulse". The 99-01 VSS sensor im pretty sure sends just a voltage reading, im not sure if it uses that voltage reading and compares it to any other tranny sensor outputs to establish speed, I would imagine it doesnt since I have a standalone in my car and my VSS works just like normal. Im gonna see if I can read my VSS voltage thru the standalone and compare it to voltage at the cluster, im almost positive its gonna be the same.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Ok I just went diving thru my wiring diagrams and im ready to scream.

Can someone with an 02-03 check connector C17 and tell me the pin location of the white wire with the blue stripe and can someone pull their gauge cluster out and find the white wire with the blue stripe and give me the pin location for that one as well. Im gonna figure this shit out, I swear I am.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Alright so the ECU in the 02-03 does a math calculation to determine the vehicle speed, the ECU sends the speed signal to the cluster expressed as voltage. Im guessing its gonna be your typical 0-5v signal.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Ok I just went diving thru my wiring diagrams and im ready to scream.

Can someone with an 02-03 check connector C17 and tell me the pin location of the white wire with the blue stripe and can someone pull their gauge cluster out and find the white wire with the blue stripe and give me the pin location for that one as well. Im gonna figure this shit out, I swear I am.
    can do. i'll try to get it done tonight, if not, tommorrow

ok so i went out and took some pics also. but pin 16 and pin 34 on the male side of c-17 are blue with a white stripe. i didn't see any other blue/white stripe wires at all, not even on the cluster connectors.. but here are a couple pics

yeah i just pulled mine and it looks exactly like galantman's
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast