The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Went to wire up the speedo...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Showing results 101 to 120 of 195
    ok then, that would lead me to believe that we count the pins left to right on the MALE side of the connector for c-17 then.... hmmm

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    does it matter if it was the male or female the we have to tape into? But yes thes correct...it goes from left to right. I see where we have to tape into but thats not the problem. We gatta figure out why does the speedo freak out on the 02-03 G? There has got to be a way to fix this 100%.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

There is a fix, gotta a question for you though, do you have the input and output speed sensors still plug in? I talked to a buddy tonight and through a lot of talking came up with the idea that for it to work the circuit must be completed to work... so I need a manual swapped 99 to 01 to un plug both input and output speed sensors and see if their speedo still works

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Mine is pluged in but I was going to tap into the female which is why I asked if it really matters where we tap the speedo into? I would assume that if the 99-01 guys unplug the speedo it would not work. Im tryng to understand your idea here.lol

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

I know its a little hard but I'll try to explain it the best I can

ok the power comes from the fuse, so we know its 12VDC, which goes to the input and output speed sensors, which gives power to the magnent inside. Now I am using my imagination on how the vss speed sensors work, but I'm pretty sure it picks up the magnent in the output and input shafts, or senses it, and when it senses the magnent, it produces a logic high.

A logic high is based on binary, 0 is low, 1 is high. How do you make a logic high and low from voltage? By producing a square wave thats dc. which then goes into the PCM and then gets translated into a digital signal, which is a series of 0's and 1's that has an address; Pin 3 on c-17 has to be a digital signal because why would the radio use the speedo as an input? Doesn't make any sense.

now on this pic the power pin 4 comes into the speed sensor on the capacitor, charges and discharges at a predetermind rate, which gives power to the base side of the transistor. The resistor is there to keep the pulse signal out of the regular power wires. Now, the transistor gets power and then emits it to the emitter side which goes to pin 2 as ground, but it also charges the capictor, which sends a pulse signal to pin 3 which is a digital signal. and the process repeats over and over everytime the magnent picks up picks up the other magnent, so it uses the hall effect.
    Last edited by Galantman03; 04-15-2011 at 10:25 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    Mine is pluged in but I was going to tap into the female which is why I asked if it really matters where we tap the speedo into? I would assume that if the 99-01 guys unplug the speedo it would not work. Im tryng to understand your idea here.lol
    it doesn't matter which side you tap into, the right wire is the right wire, BUT in order to find the right wire, you have to look into the MALE side of c-17 to find the right MALE PIN.
    oh and for a couple things to make sense, on the speed sensor emitter, electricity flows on our cars from NEG TO POSITIVE
    Last edited by Galantman03; 04-15-2011 at 10:40 AM

So I have request.... can I have a 99 to 01 5 speed swapped guy disconnect the input and output vss sensors, and see if their speedo stops working?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    See thats the thing, we dont have input/out sensors on a 5-speed. We only have one vss sensor and its a gear driven sensor that is driven by a gear attached to the differential inside the tranny.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Sorry I ment 5 speed swap guys, with the automatic wiring harness, to disconnect the input and output sensors, cuz even though they swapped the tranny, the wiring and sensor hook ups should still be there

No, thats what im saying. On 99-01 automatic tranny used the same gear driven speed sensor that the 5-speed tranny uses. The 02/03 are the only years that used input/output shaft speed sensors.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Thats impossible, I have a 99 harness from Deez Nuts and it had the input and output connectors there, before I cut them off... SMH I should have kept them
    I found a pic before I cut them of in another thread, you can see that it has the solenoid plug, gear select plus, and 2 vss plugs.
    Last edited by Galantman03; 04-17-2011 at 01:53 PM

There is only one vss plug, its in that pic, its the plug closest to the top of the pic thats half cut off, its black/red.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

so what are those other two connectors? I assumed they were the vss input and output, because my two sensors from my auto plug into them

I gotta look thru my diagrams to figure it out. The ECU might log the input/output sensors for the sake of making sure everything is OK but I know for sure it has nothing to do with the VSS since the VSS Is a seperate gear driven sensor like the 5-speed one.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

So do you even have those to connectors hooked up to the sensors? or are they just chilling in your bay with nothing hooked up?

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    So do you even have those to connectors hooked up to the sensors? or are they just chilling in your bay with nothing hooked up?
    There's a whole harness sitting in the engine bay not hooked up, cept for the reverse lights and a starter signal I think.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Well I know the ecu isn't reading it in the 03, but why is it jumpy with evo ecu swap? it should work 100% imo, if that digital signal is the same in the evo as the eclipse, if they use the same speed sensor...

This is the same problem I have right now. Speedo only when works when tank is half full. Would be great to have a solution for 02 - 03 models.
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

The part#'s for the speed sensors are different if I remember correctly but I would imagine the voltage reading is the same. Take this as food for thought, im currently using an EVO tranny in my car with an EVO speed sensor, connected to my 99' Galant auto harness and my speedo works 100%
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Galante View Post
    This is the same problem I have right now. Speedo only when works when tank is half full. Would be great to have a solution for 02 - 03 models.
    so it works? but only when the tank is half full and below?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    The part#'s for the speed sensors are different if I remember correctly but I would imagine the voltage reading is the same. Take this as food for thought, im currently using an EVO tranny in my car with an EVO speed sensor, connected to my 99' Galant auto harness and my speedo works 100%
    ok so the signal er voltage reading is the same... hmm. Wait, has anybody tried connecting the power wire for the sensor to just a 12 volt source, like the cig lighter power? If Galante is having the signal, then he found the right signal wire, and its getting to the cluster, so what if he just tapped into say another signal wire for something else, maybe something with the fuel gauge? Dang I need to get a new speed sensor so I could try this!
    Last edited by Galantman03; 04-18-2011 at 06:24 PM

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast