The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Recent drop... And need advise

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 54 of 54
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    this has gotten way off subject im not getting mad at anyone all im saying is you can cut the springs for what cienfuego1 is trying to accomplish cutting part of one coil would be fine... raz we good im not mad i hope your not mad no need for "name callin" we just bumpin heads thats all my instructors said you can cut the springs but thats a worse comes to worst situation if any body wants to get techincal we all are doing it wrong we should be dropping our cars with complete kits not just springs or coilovers ive never seen one for any G... period dropping a car is screwing up all the specs on any car... theres no need for any one to get mad isnt this what this forum is for??? i dont need enemies or bs im just saying my G handles and drives and brakes fine even under bad conditions raz i hope we good im just saying yeah i cut this corner but im not regreting it i will get my teins but only when its me driving the G... i dont race or do the track just work school and home so what i did it serves its purpose thats all...and rg2k1 your right as well no there not but everything serves its purpose... i hope all of you understand what im trying to say.... this is the point of this forum everyone helps everyone... and no one can front unless your a mitsu prof most of this is trial n error.... and in that pic of my G thats a speed bump thats why it might look low...its really not everythings just even...
    Last edited by Corey2kG; 04-11-2010 at 07:42 PM

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by Corey2000Galant View Post
    im going to school for auto tech and they even say its ok to cut the springs and my instructors are ASE cert. senior master techs with 30+ years in the auto field and they even say its ok to cut them as long has its not excessive...
    I would like to know what auto tech school you go to because I go to Universal Technical Institute in Glendale Heights, IL and I've never heard any of the ASE certified instructors at my school tell me that cutting springs are okay.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

still missing the point its not the greatest thing to do but it can be done just not excessively...i go to porter n chester the powerpoints we cover in lecture it does mention it... it just says cutting them makes it stiffer thats all... theres no need to take it out of context...

FreakyDeaky

Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

honestly its each to his own, everyone is taught differently, i mentioned lowering my car to one of my neighbors who is an ASE certified mechanic and he said cut the springs, that his opinion, my opinion is screw that, i wouldn't feel comfortable riding around on cut springs. but as i said each to his own. from what ive gathered this forum is all about opinions on how to do things, there is no set way you have to do things. somebody may say that they dont like the way you do something, but that there opinion. its whatever makes you happy ...... and thats my opinion ;)

still missing the point its not the greatest thing to do but it can be done just not excessively...i go to porter n chester the powerpoints we cover in lecture it does mention it... it just says cutting them makes it stiffer thats all... theres no need to take it out of context...
    well, figured since you were high and mighty about being a "auto tech" student, I'd try and feel the air up on the pedestal you put yourself on.

All I'm saying is, there is a lot of "opinions" about how to do something on a car. whether it's the "wrong" way or "right" way there is a PROPER way of doing things. Cutting springs are FAR from being the proper way to lower your car IMO. In your past posts in this thread you've been pushing your arguement because you claim to be in school for "auto-tech" which is irrelevant in the first place because not because you go to school to learn this shit, doesn't mean you are above the person who has actually experienced the wrong end of the stick. Vise-Versa.

I'm sorry to post more irrelevant shit on here, but I can't stand the "I am an auto tech student so I know more than you" attitude. I'm also an auto tech student and I deal with pricks like these everyday. Not saying you are one of them because I dont know you personally to insult you but your comment hit a nerve with me.

No hard feelings on my part and again, I'm sorry for jacking this thread.

To the OP, I love the way the car looks, let the springs settle down and see if you like the stance. If you want to cut it, then cut it. It's your car after all.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Corey2000Galant: I know you are an auto tech student, but punctuation is not a hard concept to grasp. In fact I believe my 6 year old niece is getting the hang of punctuation as well.

I am sorry, but I have to speak my mind now. You and your instructors point of view on this topic are, to me, irrelevant. Take what you can from the school you are going to in terms of mechanical knowledge and working on cars. There is a difference between mechanical engineers and mechanical technicians. Speaking as a person who attended an Engineering college cutting springs is a bad idea. Spring rates are something that we learned there in like our first semester. Yes cutting springs does change the spring ratio and make them stiffer, but you are changing the ratio by compressing the spring more from top to bottom so that when you hit a bump or when the tension is released it is released quickly. This can result in a bouncy ride(I don't want to hear about your experience or your Honda owning brothers experience). The bouncing ride can cause the car to bottom out more by compressing down faster or can chance the vehicles handing ability by making it lose traction when traction is needed. A respected TGC member with more experience than you states the bad that happened when he cut corners and his handling was compromised and another member also argued that you are not as precise in cutting as you think you are and you still argued for the advantages of cutting springs. You cut stock springs, you took you technical knowledge and thought you knew more then the engineer that designed the product and that is where shit hits the fan. Engineers go through a lot more schooling for a reason, ASE certification takes what 18 months of schooling? Masters 24 months? Something along those lines I believe Mechanical engineering can take from 4 years for a bachelors to 6 or 7 years for a masters. So you tell me who knows more about the materials they are dealing with and the quality of the product they are turning out the tech who installs or the engineer who designs.

I agree that dropping on springs and struts is not ideal, but it is 25x better then someone cutting their stock springs without knowing specs especially when that some one thinks that removing 1.25 coils is no excessive modification of a product. So imho, stop being cheap and go buy some 200 lowering springs for the same drop you have now and be safe rather then risking your lives, but worse risking the lives of the people around you by cutting corners.

To the OP if you want a harsher drop, save up for coilovers and enjoy what you have now. There is a reason you dont see me cutting my springs when I want my drop to be more. Be safe and enjoy your car, be stupid and you may end up enjoying a casket. Take from this what you will.

im not trying to be "all high n mighty" im not better then anyone... yes its cutting corners and yes i understand spring ratios i just did the suspension term about six weeks ago, i will eventually buy springs but for now im just gonna leave her the way she is. we burnin up this guys thread with this nonsense... everyone has their own knowledge of cars and what to do n what not to do... im just saying from my experience i cut my springs and she rides just like she did at stock ride height. mass is full of pot holes and ive hit a few since i cut them i havent bottomed out and i dont bounce. i wish someone could drive her youselves... and again im not smarter then anyone on here im just saying what i learned. im not trying to have beef with anyone after all we here to be "friends" right? n offer help n give opinions and give our input right??? no beef no bullshit its all opinions...n as far as "punctuation" i dont care about it im not writing an essay or a term paper so oh well...lol all the bullshit aside in the end we just giving our opinons... and thats all that counts... and differences of opinions are a good thing. with most of these threads conversations go a little off topic, people bump heads thats just the way forums are... i dont know anyone here n i wouldnt mind meeting some of you guys in my area but again i dont want no bs with members here... please understand im a good guy easy to get along with so dont think with this thread that im an asshole or trying to bump heads with anyone here... let this post right here be the END of this bs. i looke dat some of my previous post in this thread and i do seem like an asshole but im really not. PEACE BROTHERS lmao....

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

So what kind of coil overs do some of you guys recomend?

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CIENFUEGO1 View Post
    So what kind of coil overs do some of you guys recomend?
    The cheap route?? Megan or Basic Tein.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEIN-...Q5fAccessories
    Last edited by RAZ_76; 04-12-2010 at 09:49 AM

those sound good a little pricey but worth the saving up...

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    those sound good a little pricey but worth the saving up...
    Pricey?? Those two are probably the cheapest coilovers, there are better ones in the 1500 to 2300 range. But yes Mr. Rice, when you do something right, it costs.

oh you still got jokes lol its all good ill be mr. rice lol but still $800 to $900 is alot im trying to save up $1500 to get my bodywork and car painted right now...

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

I see some of y'all get the setup from eclipses'. What year and model is compatible with the 8g? I told y'all I just got this setup. Didn't want to cut or heat the stock ones. I'll probably keep this setup for a bit. Trying to get a tahoe for the kids, my g is my daily.

2000-2005 eclipse are compatible...

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123