The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Starting issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 31
    Experienced TGC Member

Starting issue

OK guys. Ive been ignoring this problem since i did the 5 speed swap 2 or more years ago. When i first did the swap i had a problem with it starting. Every so often the car wouldnt turn over or anything with the first turn of the key. So what i did was turn it all the way off then try again and it started right up. Well recently since the car sat in the garage for a few months while i did the turbo build the problem got worse. The starter i first used with the swap was used and it burned up so i bought a reman starter from autozone and it seems fine. Ive gone back and soldiered the wires that need to be spliced for the park neutral switch, ive cleaned the main battery ground and looked at the ground to the starter and it seems fine. Still has a problem starting. I dont think its the ignition switch because even when i turn the car to on and it doesnt engage the starter the relay under the dash clicks. Any suggestions? Id really like to fix this problem. I feel as if the more i let this problem go im going to fuck up the wideband warmer in my zeitronix kit because sometimes i have to do this process like 10-15 times, sometimes one time and sometimes it fires right up..... Im stumped

i think peano was complaining about autozone starters. idk.

check the trigger wire that goes to the coil on the starter. it comes from the starter relay, comes out somewhere around the battery, it has a thick plug with lots of contact grease and then goes to the starter coil. its in the same loom as the thick ground wire
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

yeah autozone starters suck.. ive gone through 4 of them...

Experienced TGC Member
    Any other suggestions?

did u apply 12V to that wire we talked about? is it cranking or still clicking
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    oh wow, i think me and you are going through the exact same problem....

it started about 2 months ago.... the very first time i thought my battery was dead, got my roommate to jump my car, and that's when i narrowed it down to the starter after his jump didn't help. anyways, long story short, when i go to start the car, i hear all the usual clicks and relays, but nothing else. the starter doesn't attempt to do anything, nothing. then, the car could start totally fine on the very next try, or i'll be on my 30th try, and it will fire right up, or anywhere in between. i've found that it's A LOT worse in the cold (but then again, sometimes it fires up on the first try). Lately i've been turning the key into the START position on the ignition back and forth really fast, that seems to help a lot.

i think it might be the starter itself....because when the key is turned all the way forward, when i'm attempting to start the motor, all the dummy lights on the dash dim, like it's trying. but the starter will make no noise or movement.

i'm stumped....friday i will try replacing the starter with one from pep boys, or maybe....*shudder* VATO ZONE

MKO i will check the things you've said, but i can't see how any of that would change over time...who knows, maybe bolts got knocked loose or gremlins got into the engine bay
    Last edited by peanotation; 04-12-2010 at 10:39 PM Reason: too much masterbating today
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member
    Thats the exact same issue i have. Sometimes i think its a dead battery. The clock and shit dims when i try to turn it over but i get nada. IDK wtf is up with this. Its odd.. If it turns out to be the starter ill be mucho happy.

TGC Regular
    HAHA I had the same Issue with my G when it was running... I think maybe it has somthing to do with the ignition switch to be honest....

Experienced TGC Member
    My ignition switch worked perfectly before the 5 speed swap. I think it has something to do with the wiring.. Watch all of the 5 speed swappers chime in with this problem. LOL

TGC Regular
    Im not 5spd yet.. I was auto when it was happening to me...

I had that problem too, I just put a 75A relay in the trigger wire, with an upgraded wire gauge. problem solved.
    De que estamos hablando?

I'am new to the 5 speed could you tell me were could i find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    OK guys. Ive been ignoring this problem since i did the 5 speed swap 2 or more years ago. When i first did the swap i had a problem with it starting. Every so often the car wouldnt turn over or anything with the first turn of the key. So what i did was turn it all the way off then try again and it started right up.

i have the same "problem" whit my new 5spd swap.,

-Mitsubishi Galant LS 1994 a/t [ SOLD ]

Mine makes noise....but wont always turn over. It sounds like its stuck and starts creaming at me. Its embarassing. This will be the second one I have gone through since the swap as well.
    Last edited by evil-G-nius; 07-26-2010 at 11:31 AM

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Experienced TGC Member
    I knew when i posted this thread it will a 5 speed swap issue thats known..... WTF?

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Well i'll cosign on the 5sp swap issue i also have the issue, but i think it has to do with something internal of the ignition itself, not so much the starter issue.

I began to notice(or thought i noticed) sometimes it was maybe the angle of the key itself. I removed the white part of the ignition that would keep the key from turning if it wasn't in the park or neutral position, and i think that may have effected something. IDK, but i do think the problems lies in the ignition / column, not in the starter itself.

Personally, i don't mind having the problem, cause i don't have to worry about someone stealing the car

As far as a rebuilt starter i bought on for my initial swap, and it blew completely apart spring 09, so i went to the jy and got an oem from a 5spd G and not a problem since, and actually the starter doesn't do the weird no fire thing anymore... Well not as much

hmm....good to know...all of this.

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Experienced TGC Member
    The odd thing is that if i dropped my car off for tire service or something i couldnt leave because my car doesnt start for anyone but me which is a good thing.

well me is worse i can start the car by turning the key like normal but the starter keeps turning

Experienced TGC Member
    here is an update guys. So my car has gotten worse with this issue. It took like 30 tries and sometimes that didnt work. It was getting on my last nerve. Ive had an extra ignition switch lying around from when i had to buy new locks for the car. I replaced it today and the car has started up 6 times in a row with no issues. Now that may not seem like something to be happy about but fuck it hasnt started like that in 3 years! Ive always blamed it on the 5 speed swap but thats not the issue. Its the ignition switch. I did notice when i removed the old one the screws were loose on the case so maybe just tightening them would have worked but i had a spare at my disposal. Also if u guys have issues with your window switches and shit not working ill tell you how to fix them.... Good luck! I hope like hell this was the issue but it seems to work fine as of now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast