The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Starting issue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 31 of 31
    I wish you luck with the car man. I know it can be quite agervating at times.

well mine was the starter so its mine 6 starter from autozone

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CIBAL View Post
    I wish you luck with the car man. I know it can be quite agervating at times.
    Without a doubt its a pain in my ass. However i created this monster and its up to me to tame it. If i would have kept the car stock and did normal maintenance i would have one hell of a daily driver lol.

I don't think it has anything to do with the 5spd swap.. My Galant did it from day one I had it (i'm not the first owner) it still does it to this day.. but what does make a difference is the key I use. I have the original plastic black key, and it almost never does it with this key.. If I use the small headed silver Mitsubishi "spare" key it will do this almost every time.

^^^That is purely coincidence! The key has shit to do with how the starter will act....other than if you have the wrong key it wont start at all. One thing I found that works (be careful doing this) is if you put the car in gear, turn the key til the car moves just a bit (starter catches) and then turn it back off. Put the car in neutral and then start it. For some reason this works for my car....not sure how it will work for you guys, bt its worht a shot. Like I said be careful doin this though, I will not be held accountable for you running into someone elses car if you arent paying attention! LOL

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Experienced TGC Member
    All of it is coincidence. I assume you guys didt read that i fixed the issue by replacing the ignition switch. I always assumed it was the swap was the cause because it never did this until i did the swap.

Maybe a coincidence but my thought was that maybe after soo much use the keys wear down or maybe they where not cut properly. who knows, maybe i'm completely off. but at least in my Galant witch key you use does make a noticeable difference.

Experienced TGC Member
    The thing about your theory that gets me is that inside where you put the key, there is nothing electronic inside of there. if it goes in and turns, its not the key at all. The only thing electronic about it is the light ring around they key hole and the switch thats held in with 2 little machine screws. Idk switch out the switch and you should be fine. Its easy and really scary to be honest. All u need is a phillips head screw driver and about 5 minutes and u can steal it very easily without havin to hotwire the car.

Oh, ive thought of that.. thats why I mentioned key wear.. maybe the pins inside the lock are pressed enough to turn but not enough to actually engage the starter? I have no clue if this is even possible, and probably not.. but this car as surprise me with a lot of things. lol

I know its all just pointless as you will still probably have to replace it, but i'm still curious as to what causes it to happen

Experienced TGC Member
    I took the old switch apart and the points in there were kind of worn. Its just one of those things. If the key turns its not the key. The locking mechanisim is mechanical, very much like the one to your house door. The switch is mounted on the back of all that and insets into a rectangular "key" way.

hmm. sounds like regular wear and tear to me then.. I wonder why the two keys make such a difference in my car then :S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12