The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: LED reverse lights

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 47
    problem is with reverse lamps, from outside the car... the led's look very very bright. They may actually even appear more intense than the factory reverse bulbs.
    The problem is the light output is dramatically less.
    So from the drivers seat, you aren't going to see much behind you. Not only does the light from the bulbs have to illuminate everything behind you, but the light has to be strong enough to make it back to your eyes. because if it doesn't make it back to your eyes, it doesn't matter, you wont see it.

Factor in window tint, and a rainy night.....
    Led reverse lamps aren't ideal. Unless its on a new Lincoln where the system is designed and tested by engineers.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I'm thinking about trying these for the breke and turn signals. They have them in amber too. 28 SMD LEDs in each bulb. I think that would be pretty bright.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Ive tried similar LED's as listed on top. They looked great and bright from outside of car, but functionality from inside the car, they were crap. Then the LED's went out quickly and started that blinking. Switched to Hyper White's and been working ever since...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    problem is with reverse lamps, from outside the car... the led's look very very bright. They may actually even appear more intense than the factory reverse bulbs.
    The problem is the light output is dramatically less.
    So from the drivers seat, you aren't going to see much behind you. Not only does the light from the bulbs have to illuminate everything behind you, but the light has to be strong enough to make it back to your eyes. because if it doesn't make it back to your eyes, it doesn't matter, you wont see it.

Factor in window tint, and a rainy night.....
    Led reverse lamps aren't ideal. Unless its on a new Lincoln where the system is designed and tested by engineers.
    Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    Ive tried similar LED's as listed on top. They looked great and bright from outside of car, but functionality from inside the car, they were crap. Then the LED's went out quickly and started that blinking. Switched to Hyper White's and been working ever since...
    Good info. Thanks guys. I had decided to use the 50w xenon hyper white bulbs for my reverse. The one's I just listed in my last post i was thinking about for turn signals and brake lights. I would rather use regular bulbs if I could find some that are higher wattage then stock since I'm going to tint my tails.
    Last edited by AmericanJambo; 04-14-2010 at 08:14 PM

I tinted my tails and have stock bulbs in for the brakes and no complaints/tickets. Cop said as long as they can be seen from 50ft away I was good. Im about to order those 50watt xenon bulbs too.

Dont know if they are cheaper anywhere else but so far I found them on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1156-P21W-1141-7...item334fbda586

Ok, so the 1156 hyper whites are the way to go for reverse lights, correct? And you guys recommend it for the brake/turn too or the LED instead? I want to do this too and i'm just making sure i'm understanding this right.

Also, with the LED bulbs, do they do the quick on/off, hi/lo light changing like when signal turning?

If it ain't broke, i'm still fixin' it.

I think reelax said not to use the higher wattage bulbs in brakes because of how hot they can get after a while of being on and melt some plastic but for reverse its okay because you really don't reverse for a long time...at least that's what I got out of it. I never changed my brake/signal lights.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    i saw at autozone yesterday led 1157 bulbs around $18 but they were red...

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by Corey2000Galant View Post
    i saw at autozone yesterday led 1157 bulbs around $18 but they were red...
    I've seen those too but they're directional. All the LEDs are facing forward so you'll just see a round spot in your brake lights. Anytime you want to use LEDs instead of an incandescent bulb you should go with multiple SMD or SMT LEDs. They have a wider spread and they're way brighter then standard LEDs.

I got my reverse lights today will post pics when I get home

Hey Reelax,

How much of the blue bulb do you see in the taillight? I had a set of sylvania turn signals and didnt like how much blue i could see thru the clear plastic

here is the reverse lights (1157 hyper white) on at night

The iPhone doesnt really capture the light it shines on the ground so I cant get a good pic of the amount of visibility it gives but they are bright. Im tired tonight but I'll look for my bro's digital camera tomorrow to get a better pic and I'll make sure to hold the camera steady haha.

I also took the pic of the LED dome lights I put in. If you want to know how to do it look up jeffylou87's tutorial.

again the iPhone doesnt do the light justice but it shines out of my tinted windows and onto the ground lol.

I wouldnt want my dome lights that bright....

I'll see how long I can take it/ like it.

Just my $.02 regarding front turn signals. Get Switchbacks if you have the money, they're freakin expensive (cost me more than my HID's ha), but I love em. They're bluish whiteish, they match my HID kit real well, and they turn orange when the turn signal is applied, then go back to the whiteish blue color. Again, not really cheap, but I love em :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_ODell View Post
    here is the reverse lights (1157 hyper white) on at night
    Damn those are bright!

yes they are! im thinking of getting a pair. i have a problem with old ladies trying to drive into me as im backing out of a spot (almost got hit twice pulling out of a post office parking lot one day!)

CumBa
    I bought 2 LED turnsignal (amber) sets from Japan... but the shop has closed :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-j5EJXIS8s

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    Hey Reelax,

How much of the blue bulb do you see in the taillight? I had a set of sylvania turn signals and didnt like how much blue i could see thru the clear plastic
    i have '96-'97 JDM tails so the clear section is not as clear as on the '98+ JDM tails. you can't see the blue reverse bulbs at all on my tails.

So which ones are recommended, the xenon 50w or the Hyper whites??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast