The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fog Lights on w/ High Beams

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Fog Lights on w/ High Beams

I modify F-series pickup trucks to where I can have the fog lights on with just the marker (amber) lights or with the high beams instead of just with the low beam head lights. I do this by jumping 2 pre-relay wires with a toggle switch. The power for the toggle switch comes from the marker lights wire behind the switch. The acc for the toggle switch goes to the wire that triggers the fog lights. This way if the toggle switch is off, the fog lights function normally with the factory switch. If I click the toggle switch on then as soon as I turn my marker lights , low beams or high beams on I can have fog lights. The reason I use the marker lights as the power source for the toggle switch is because the factory dinger will sound if you accidentally leave them on.

Sooooo with that being said I figured I could do that to the galant as well. Well... I was wrong. I popped the factory fog light/mirror adjustment panel out and then took the bottom dash apart. Then I reconnected the factory fog/mirror panel and probed each of the 4 wires for the fog lights. There are two grounds and then two wires. One has power all of the time no matter what, I think that is the blue wire (will double check tomorrow). The other has power whenever the key is on, even with high beams, I think that is the green wire (will double check tomorrow). It doesn't matter if the fog lights are on or off... the power stays the same. The only time it changes is when the fog light button is depressed, then the power goes out to the green wire. As soon as I let off the button though, it has power again.

With all of that being said, has anyone done what I do to the F-Series pickup trucks to an 8G? I can't seem to figure out which wires I would need to jump to do this because of the style switch. I thought that I could figure out what grounds out the fog light relay when the high beams come on or jump a wire from the marker lights to the fog lights so that I can turn the fog lights on whenever the market lights are on but to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas? Ever try this?

2001 F250 - Highly Modified - 11.6 @ 115.7
    2000 Galant - stock
    1992 Accord - stock - beater

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    independent fog lights, tutorial is in the DIY section for 8G's

I think that would do the trick for you.

Son.of.a...

I used the search feature but not in the DIY section...

I will check it out.

2000 Galant - stock

Eh, they're both kind of shoddy installs. I did however see some other people commenting on what I want to do and I'm going to look up their suggestions. Too bad most links are broken now :( since they are too old :(.

My plan is to use the marker lights to trigger the factory fog light relay. Going to search some more in the DIY section.

2000 Galant - stock

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    both are pretty shoddy wiring, but you could clean that up. If you find another way you better post it up and let us know!

Will do.

I looked at the wiring schematic yesterday for about an hour and located all of the wires, the factory relay and probed everything.

I knew the blk/wht wire coming off the bottom went to the ECU and I figured a signal was sent from the ECU to the relay to turn off the fog lights when the high beams are on.

I have two ideas. One involves spade connectors that extend to the factory relay with a switch that gets power from the factory marker lights and sends power to the fog light relay. This will only work if the ECU doesn't ground out the circuit when the high beams are on. Or, scotch lock the fog light and send that into the the toggle acc and then scotch lock the marker light and send that into the power for the toggle.

Either way, my wiring will not look like that. I'll post up a how-to when I figure it out like I did on the mirror and key fob issues.

2000 Galant - stock

Please post it when you get it all figured out...I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have mine wired up to my parking lights already, its not that hard. I'll see if I can post pics tomorrow.

"This way if the toggle switch is off, the fog lights function normally with the factory switch. If I click the toggle switch on then as soon as I turn my marker lights , low beams or high beams on I can have fog lights."

I like this idea. I believe I read your post, skyhigh90210, about tapping into the marker lights to turn the fogs on when they turn on but you cant ever turn your fogs off or use the fog button. right? or did I misread your posting? Like you cant turn on just your marker lights without your fogs being on.

I've been working on the house instead of the car this week. I plan to get around to this sometime this week as I'll be replacing the serpentine belt since it's sqealing.

2000 Galant - stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_ODell View Post
    "This way if the toggle switch is off, the fog lights function normally with the factory switch. If I click the toggle switch on then as soon as I turn my marker lights , low beams or high beams on I can have fog lights."

I like this idea. I believe I read your post, skyhigh90210, about tapping into the marker lights to turn the fogs on when they turn on but you cant ever turn your fogs off or use the fog button. right? or did I misread your posting? Like you cant turn on just your marker lights without your fogs being on.
    Thats right I can't use my switch to turn the fogs on or off, but the wiring to the switch was fried during a previous experiment and I didn't feel like wiring up a new switch.