The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Evo swap question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 26

Evo swap question

Ok im wanting to do a evo head swap, but i really dont know anything at all about head swaps so i was wondering if you guys could maybe give me some help full tips to know if i can even do it or not
    - all the work would be getting done by a shop

- i have a .30 over bore on my 4g64, so would that be a problem?
    - is there any extra work that has to be done for the swap to work?
    - if so what?
    - any extra parts needed or anything like that?
    - and any kind of cost estimate would be very much appreciated

and sorry if this has already been asked before i searched but couldnt find anything

Thank you

Well I just started the project myself and it's kinda expensive to do it. Just parts alone since I went performance and name brand I myself have spent around 3 grand and that's without counting the head or ecu. Then since not many people have done this project not many shops will actually take up the job. Your going to have some deep pockets in order to accomplish this but if you still want to go ahead here is a link that will help you out
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/3g-eclip...formation.html

the guy a bought my car from has his own shop so he is gonna be doing the work on it, but im thinking of going turbo if its cheaper

Its all up to you but for that you also need to go 5 speed but you can stay automatic but I don't know how much power the auto tranny will be able to support so yea its all up to you on how much you want to spend.

whats the cheapest turbo kit that you guys have found that isnt a total P.O.S.

im planing on going 5 speed anyways

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azgalant View Post
    Its all up to you but for that you also need to go 5 speed but you can stay automatic but I don't know how much power the auto tranny will be able to support so yea its all up to you on how much you want to spend.
    I really wonder how much the 8g Auto tranny can hold up, bc spicy from this forum has an 8g/w Evo 8 engine swap but still has her stock auto tranny kicking out 30 psi . So???????

Quote Originally Posted by PearlG View Post
    whats the cheapest turbo kit that you guys have found that isnt a total P.O.S.
    Not sure what you mean cheapest??? How much money you want to put in and what numbers you looking for to get out of the motor? I mean Im alil confused what your doing. You said your doing a head swap but bored the block .30 over? If your looking for something cheap, just do a simple Evo set up with a big 16g turbo.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

From what i remember you can't do a .30 over on a 2.4l block. .20 is the safest
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

This threads can help you about turbos read them:
    http://4g64.150m.com/turbo.html

This thread with a complete parts list from member run1:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=25090

Member Stewi post on another thread very helpful:
    get a HAFE cast stainless manifold for a DSM, get a JM fab heatshield for a DSM w/external gate cutout, get a tial MVS wastegate and the MVS to 38mm adaptor flange from ATP turbo, get the DSM to T3 exhaust flange adaptor from ebay, and your choice of T3/4 turbo, I recommend a billet wheel HP turbo from precision. All that stuff bolts together and fits, then you just need to have a downpipe and wastegate dump tube made, thats easy for a shop to do. Look for old pics of my car, this is the setup I used to run, I had a regular 38mm gate tho because the MVS wasnt out then, but it is now.

Tada, kit pieced together.

Intercooler and piping will need to be pieced togther, but again, thats easy.
    Member 03-Galant-ES threads about his turbo project:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=41027
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...t=39666&page=3

There you go now do your homework and read and search for different keywords.

4g64T 5spd

i already have the .30 over bore done to my engine it works perfectly fine, but im gonna be spending anywere from 3 to 6 grand, i really want to do a evo head swap but im thinking about going with the sts rear turbo cause it should be cheaper
    how much would a full evo head swap cost just a rough estimate?

Quote Originally Posted by PearlG View Post
    i already have the .30 over bore done to my engine it works perfectly fine, but im gonna be spending anywere from 3 to 6 grand, i really want to do a evo head swap but im thinking about going with the sts rear turbo cause it should be cheaper
    how much would a full evo head swap cost just a rough estimate?
    Well with just 3 to 6 grand your looking of just doing the head swap without turbo because you did say that your taking it to shop so they are going to charge you a lot for this project. Just keep in mind the shop that you go to will not know what your talking about they will have to research it just for the reason is that not many people do this. As far as parts here's a thread I started just yesterday saying how much I have spent on parts.
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=41177

all this discussion about the swap and 3-6 grand to spend. You should just 1st start out with getting a long block 1st. once you have that then this discussion can move along. too much cloud talk on here with evo swaps and only a few people here are actually doing it. get the 4g63t block and then post a thread. and if youre not doing the work yourself, then youre just wasting money.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    please correct me if im wrong but i heard if your gonna keep the G auto. you should do twin turbo... is that true?

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Experienced TGC Member
    Lolololol^^
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    I really wonder how much the 8g Auto tranny can hold up, bc spicy from this forum has an 8g/w Evo 8 engine swap but still has her stock auto tranny kicking out 30 psi . So???????

Not sure what you mean cheapest??? How much money you want to put in and what numbers you looking for to get out of the motor? I mean Im alil confused what your doing. You said your doing a head swap but bored the block .30 over? If your looking for something cheap, just do a simple Evo set up with a big 16g turbo.
    The tranny in spicy's is a BUILT IPT performance trans. They are the Shep Racing and TRE equivalent on the automatic side. That trans with the base build plus other stuff is close to $4,000

see link

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...ishiauto.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by GOOSEY2099 View Post
    From what i remember you can't do a .30 over on a 2.4l block. .20 is the safest
    You can do .030 over, hell you can do .040 over if you want, stock bore is the safest, once you go over .020 the walls get pretty thin, not saying it hasnt been done, but people try not to, especially since 64' blocks are dirt cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

As far as I was reading on what your doing, you seem to be all over the place and not knowing what your doing at all. 6 grand should be enough to get the job done but thats also if your doing most of the work yourself, but your having people from shops do it for you which will cost you alot more than 6 grand.

You already bored the motor (.30) over but the thing is that, the bore is alil to big for the block and your cylinder walls are running to thin. You should of just done (.20) over...I never heard anybody with a 4 cyl motor boring .30 over, but hey its your money and block so you do what you want....just make sure you get the measurements right when you get your custom pistons. Also you have to get a gasket custom made...

Moving on with the Evo 8 head swap, there are many links on this forum or thread that you can find many information about the head and what you need. It depend what you wanna do with the build it you cant to put cams and springs and a bigger intake/TB. But for now I would stick to stockk head, and forget the rear turbo them, your going to make things difficult and to confusing for yourself....our cars dont need something like that...you see that on American muscle cars. Like I said stick with Evo 8 turbo set up and put in a Big 16g turbo. You need more info bfor you do this project

the whole shop cost isnt really an option its basiclaly just the parst price cause im friends with the guy thats gonna be doing the work so its gonna be pretty much free, and im planing on doing a 5 speed swap too but the whole evo 8 turbo set up i dont know how much that would cost? but i want to have some money left over for cosmetics

As far as I was reading on what your doing, you seem to be all over the place and not knowing what your doing at all. 6 grand should be enough to get the job done but thats also if your doing most of the work yourself, but your having people from shops do it for you which will cost you alot more than 6 grand.

You already bored the motor (.30) over but the thing is that, the bore is alil to big for the block and your cylinder walls are running to thin. You should of just done (.20) over...I never heard anybody with a 4 cyl motor boring .30 over, but hey its your money and block so you do what you want....just make sure you get the measurements right when you get your custom pistons. Also you have to get a gasket custom made...

Moving on with the Evo 8 head swap, there are many links on this forum or thread that you can find many information about the head and what you need. It depend what you wanna do with the build it you cant to put cams and springs and a bigger intake/TB. But for now I would stick to stockk head, and forget the rear turbo them, your going to make things difficult and to confusing for yourself....our cars dont need something like that...you see that on American muscle cars. Like I said stick with Evo 8 turbo set up and put in a Big 16g turbo. You need more info bfor you do this project
    You wont need a custom headgasket. The cometic gasket for the swap is designed with about .045 bore, so running it on .030 over would be fine.

Im sure the reason the engine machinist did his motor .030 over was because .020 over wasnt enough to clean up the walls properly. If the bore was stock and it has damage that was .021 deep, a .020 bore wouldnt fully clean it up, which is why they went bigger. I know some people who bore stock engines only .010 over because its all they need. doing it .020 over is more of an industry standard as piston manufacturers typically offer "shelf" pistons in .020 increments.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    You wont need a custom headgasket. The cometic gasket for the swap is designed with about .045 bore, so running it on .030 over would be fine.

Im sure the reason the engine machinist did his motor .030 over was because .020 over wasnt enough to clean up the walls properly. If the bore was stock and it has damage that was .021 deep, a .020 bore wouldnt fully clean it up, which is why they went bigger. I know some people who bore stock engines only .010 over because its all they need. doing it .020 over is more of an industry standard as piston manufacturers typically offer "shelf" pistons in .020 increments.
    OoOoOoOooo I see, ok that makes sense...right now its just a matter of getting the right measurements and pistons to fit in right. I just never new that with the 4g64 motor it would be safe to bore more than .20 since your running the walls thinner, just like Roman said but I trust your knowledge and judgment on this.

If there was anybody that I would really talk to its Stewi about doing this project.

OoOoOoOooo I see, ok that makes sense...right now its just a matter of getting the right measurements and pistons to fit in right. I just never new that with the 4g64 motor it would be safe to bore more than .20 since your running the walls thinner, just like Roman said but I trust your knowledge and judgment on this.

If there was anybody that I would really talk to its Stewi about doing this project.
    Many people dont go past .020 because they have no reason to. I have heard of a few guys on EVOM going .040 which is borderline crazy.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast