The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: immobilizer problems

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

immobilizer problems

My 2004 Galant started having intermittent immobilizer problems. After being driven some distance in cold weather or if left in the sun in warm weather the engine wouldn't start. The dealer read "immobilizer unit not communicating" error code and ordered the module to be installed. I'm surprized to see it going bad after only 38,000 miles on my car. Did anyone experience the same problem or does it look like the dealer correctly identified the problem?

I appreciate your feedback.

foolow-up on immobilizer unit replacement

Quote Originally Posted by townandcountry View Post
    My 2004 Galant started having intermittent immobilizer problems. After being driven some distance in cold weather or if left in the sun in warm weather the engine wouldn't start. The dealer read "immobilizer unit not communicating" error code and ordered the module to be installed. I'm surprized to see it going bad after only 38,000 miles on my car. Did anyone experience the same problem or does it look like the dealer correctly identified the problem?

I appreciate your feedback.

Looks like nobody encountered this problem. The dealer replaced the immobilizer unit but the problem hasn't dissapeared. They are scratching their heads and calling tech support. Not a good sign.

nothing ive seen before.. or heard of.. or anything.
    have they done anything with the ecu?. or have you done anything with the ecu?
    there has been talk about the immobilizer since we've cracked the ecu. people wanting to buy another ecu to have it flashed, but the immobilizer will only let the ecu programed for your car run it.. sooooo.. if something happened to the ecu.. maybe even a lose connection or bent pin. that could cause it to work some times and not others..

immobilizer problem

Nobody should've touched ecu for any reason. They are the only dealer I've been going to for all my recalls, such as e-tags recall, then the transmission shifter recall. The last time I took my car to them to address the rattling-rolling noise behind the dashboard they reduced it to tolerable level by taking everything behind the dashboard apart, then doing something to the vent duct. The dealer doesn't think there is a connection between the last repair and the immobilizer problem. The only connection I see is that the immobilizer problem started happening right after that last repair. But I don't expect a dealer to admit their fault in causing a problem even if they actually did.

eh.. you never know. but thats my only thought on it. hopefully it'll get figured out. and at not much cost to you.

Turned out the ignition switch (the immobilizer antenna to be specific) was the culprit. I was charged $100 for the part plus $100 labor. Does that sound reasonable or is the part really much cheaper?

i really dont know if thats a good price for what you got. but any time you get out of the dealer for only $200.. as long as the problem is solved. call it again.

When I went for second opinion to an independent mechanic he said it is the iignition switch part for about $50 plus 1/2 hour of labor. No computer diagnostic equipment was used or no charge for diagnostics. For some strange reason he said he wouldn't want to do the work and referred me to the dealer. So, I helped my Mitsubishi dealer to stay in business by paying $100 for diagnostics, $100 for part plus $100 for labor.

So, $300 spent at the dealership is peanuts, but all for the good cause of keeping the dealerships in the US. Now I feel really good about the whole thing.

sounds good then