The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Aim my headlights?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    rocgalant

Aim my headlights?

So I finally installed my HIDs. For such an easy job, it sure took a long time thanks to locking rings being a beotch. Anyway, I want to make sure I'm sending my new lights in the right direction but the owner's manual says I need to see an Authorized Mitsubishi Dealer to set the aim, which of course, I'm not going to do.

So can someone tell me which screw or nut I need to turn in order to change the vertical and horizontal positions for my headlights?

Yeh if you look at the rear of the housing in the hoOd there are two ...one per side... 10mm bolts with white plastic gears around them that you can turn for vertical alignment... Haven't found horizontal. Will post a pic if you need it

Sent from my iPad :)
    Patrick
    2009 Galant Ralliart Black
    http://www.pwdphotography.com

rocgalant
    Thanks. I was hoping it was those platic things on the housing but I didn't have time to check it out. I did it during the daytime right before work. I'll screw around with it tonight. Thanks again.

How you like you the Ipad?

The only things it needs which OS4 should provide are multitasking and voip...lastly a camera for voip / inst MSG video chats/ calls
    The camera hopefully will come with iPad v2
    Patrick
    2009 Galant Ralliart Black
    http://www.pwdphotography.com

rocgalant
    Cool

rocgalant
    I just read the service manual. There is no horizontal adjustment for the 9g. How bout that

i have a stupid question to ask i tried to take off my headlights and couldn't do it i got the two screws(on top and the front) am i missing another one?

Experienced TGC Member
    To aim your headlights measure from the floor to the center of your headlight bulb. Mark the same measurement on a wall with duck tape of some other sort of tape and back up 25 feet. Now aim the headlights to the mark on the wall. Fyi make sure the ground is level.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

There are no adjustment knobs for the horizontal. Once the headlight housing is installed, it's pretty much aimed on that axis. On the center of your headlight you'll see a little tiny notch or indentation. That's the center of your headlight. Measure that height, go onto a wall and measure 2 inches below the height of the center of the headlight. Then take a piece of tape or chalk or whatever and draw a vertical line. When you back up 25 feet make sure the middle of your hood lines up with that line and the beams of the headlights on the wall are even with that center. If it's not... your car is not perpendicular to the wall. Once you're all straight and 25 feet back, the cut off of your headlights should be 2 inches lower than the height of the middle of your headlight housing, not the same height.

Make sure you take into consideration if you've lowered your ride or if there's a bunch of stuff in the trunk or car that would have an effect on it.

That's how you do it if you wanna do it all the way correctly... but for the most part you can eye ball it and you're fine. If people aren't flashing you then don't worry about it. Choice is yours.

Effort and courage are not enough, without purpose and direction.