The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: engine swap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 50

engine swap

I want to hear from someone who has done one. The engine/tranny placement is the easier part but the wiring of the PCM and to get the interior lights and speedometer to work is wat I need help with.
    Last edited by Lethalwx69; 04-19-2010 at 11:02 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    What engine swap are you thinking about?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    We need a LOT more information to answer your question..

im going to swap for a ls4 fwd automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Lethalwx69 View Post
    I want to hear from someone how has do one.

what?
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

i going to swap for a ls4 v8 fwd automatic from a totaled 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP but kinda nervous on if i could get the wiring for the cluster right. The motor mount and tranny will be easy, lots of drilling and welding no prob, but with new pcm will i need a custom electrical system for the door locks, radio, speedometer cluster etc?

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    i going to swap for a ls4 v8 fwd automatic from a totaled 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP but kinda nervous on if i could get the wiring for the cluster right. The motor mount and tranny will be easy, lots of drilling and welding no prob, but with new pcm will i need a custom electrical system for the door locks, radio, speedometer cluster etc?
    that seams like a lot of custom work...too much IMO. Swap an Evo motor in there or a 6G74/5 motor from an eclipse.

Im still trying to figure if its too expensive for 300 horsepower without mods and if i'll destroy my car in the process. I just need to get some advice

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    You know you're going to need custom axles right? Or if you want to use the axles from the Grand Prix, you're going to have to swap over the suspension and stuff just to get everything to work, and lining it all up would be one hell of a job. The electronics would take a considerable amount of work too.

I think if i keep the mitsubishi stock fuse box that the door locks, radio, interior lights, window wipers etc will work and just have the engine PCM and fuse box completely separate for the Mitsubishi's stock fuse the interior electrical system should work fine. All except the damn speedocluster will work i think.

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    You know you're going to need custom axles right? Or if you want to use the axles from the Grand Prix, you're going to have to swap over the suspension and stuff just to get everything to work, and lining it all up would be one hell of a job. The electronics would take a considerable amount of work too.
    Shyt i think i going way over my head im might as well go buy a ls1 trans am

Experienced TGC Member
    Wow...you seriously need to spend more time doing some homework on this platform. First off, the Grand Prix engine transplant will take extensive amounts of fabrication to the engine mounts, transmission mounts, axles, Engine Management and so much more. For the average price of the 3800 Series engines used in the GTPs, GXPs, and GTs you are probably looking at roughly $800+ for a good running unit, with the S/C. Now keep in mind this is not including the transmission, which if you are putting bigger power through you are going to be paying a visit to a compay called Intense out of Ohio who specializes in that engine platform and transmission stuff.

If you have a V6 Galant now, then start doing your homework on the 6g74, or 6g75 Engine swaps. The 6g75 has been shown already in N/A form to hit the 300hp mark with some minor modficiations and a tune.

If you have the 4cyl Galant, then you are definitiely not taking time to read through this forum or many others that has a very extensive background on the Evo swaps and some impressive builds still being put together.

If you haven't shown much effort with this Galant stuff, I would hate to see what you try and do with a Trans Am

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    The electronics would take a considerable amount of work too.
    Another thing to note is I believe the GXPs are running off CAN instead of OBD II like what our 8th Gens are on. That means sensors, and everything ont he GXP motor will be useless unless you swap the entire GXP ECU and harness into the Galant, but then you also have to swap in the GXP Gauge cluster in order to read the CAN signals for the speedo, RPM, and so on.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    If you haven't shown much effort with this Galant stuff, I would hate to see what you try and do with a Trans Am
    WTF dat mean, there would be no reason to engine swap on a trans am 330 horsepower stock smartass unless i was tryin to make a 8 second car, more than some runnin 20 pounds of boost. i can borrow a totaled gxp for 4000 from my friend's dad's junk yard and im allow to take whatever parts i need then give the rest back. Its going to be crashed anyway.
    Last edited by Lethalwx69; 04-20-2010 at 12:55 AM

An ls4 have more horsepower stock than average turbocharge v6 i4 why waste the same amount of money on a 6g72 5 or 4g64 swap/build

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    That means sensors, and everything ont he GXP motor will be useless unless you swap the entire GXP ECU and harness into the Galant
    Of course a I4 galant ecu wont power a ls4

Experienced TGC Member
    WTF dat mean, there would be no reason to engine swap on a trans am 330 horsepower stock smartass unless i was tryin to make a 8 second car, more than some runnin 20 pounds of boost. i have borrow a totaled gxp for 4000
    and im allow to take whatever parts i need.
    If you took time to read through even a small bit of information on this site you would easily see the potential from both the V6 and 4cyl versions is very strong (meaning you have pety of options for more power).

You are asking about swapping a completely different manufacturer's engine, drivetrain, and engine management system into the Mitsubishi Galant. There is no reason to swap engines in a Trans Am, but if you are looking to swap a GM Engine into a Galant, then most of us would see that as motivation for more power...or waste of money. If you want a GM then buy a GM and roll with it.

If you have the entire GXP, then part it out, or find a Grand Prix to put the engine into. Trying to transplant that system into a Mitsubishi is easily going to set you back far more than $4K...which could easily be spent towards a Trans Am or some other car making 300hp if thats what you want.

What is your budget, what power do you want, turbo or N/A, Automatic or 5spd? Do you have a V6 or a 4cyl?

If you can't answer those questions, then nobody here can really help you out anymore. If you want to attempt swapping in the GXP stuff, by all means go for it.

www.blackheartmotors.net

The motor mounts, tranny mounts, axle are the easy part. Cutting, drilling and welding is nothin my uncle owns a machine shop.

Experienced TGC Member
    An ls4 have more horsepower stock than average turbocharge v6 i4 why waste the same amount of money on a 6g72 5 or 4g64 swap/build
    You obviously haven't seen or read what the 6g72 is capable of, even under 17psi of boost the engine will make an easy 450+WHP

The 4cyl, well...just look at what the Evo's have put out. The point is, that $4K you are spending for the GXP, could just as easily be put into building the Galant to make 300+WHP as well...less all the wiring headaches, fabrication and so on.

Of course a I4 galant ecu wont power a ls4
    Nope, it wont. Read what I wrote above about CAN and OBDII...

www.blackheartmotors.net

Experienced TGC Member
    The motor mounts, tranny mounts, axle are the easy part. Cutting, drilling and welding is nothin my uncle owns a machine shop.
    Well then have at it, if you have a fabrication shop to use then go for it. You are probably going to get more help on the specific of the GXP wiring harness and CAN systems on the Grand Prix or GXP specific forums.

To make it simple here is what you will do;
    Pull GXP Engine and Trans
    Fab mounts and axle
    Put GXP Engine and Trans into Galant
    Pull out entire wiring harness, and ECU from GXP
    Pull out entire wiring harness and ECU from GXP
    Pull out Gauge Cluster form GXP
    Pull out Gauge Cluster from Galant
    Put GXP Harness and Cluster into Galant

Besides all the dash fab to fit the GXP Cluster, axles and mounts, you could do it...just not what people in a Galant forum community would suggest or really be able to assist much with

www.blackheartmotors.net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast