The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: fuel pump rewire mod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 44

fuel pump rewire mod

has anyone out there done it? any tutorials on it anywhere? im intrested because im going turbo
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Experienced TGC Member
    Been there done that.

Very easy mod. Tutorial is in the dsm faqs:

http://www.vfaq.com/FAQlocator-index.html
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    yep, i used a tutorial from there also
    7g for life!

yo seth what does this mod suppost to do,, and does it work on the 8G

AkA K h O p A r I.

I Am back BitcheZzZ

Experienced TGC Member
    Probably works on the 8gs. Mitsu is notorious for shitty wiring, headlights, fuel pumps, grounds, power lines, etc.

Fuel pump at full throttle under load shows a pathetic 9v, whihc means its pumping like shit. The wiring is so bad, changes wire sizes, connectors, gets tapped, its horrible. The rewier just hooked the original power line to a relay which triggers a new thick gauge 16 or so wire that you'll run from battery to the pump. This will give you a solid 12-14v at all speeds and your pump will pump better, there are some turbo guys running only a rewired pump at 8psi, and not an upgraded higher flowing one. That should be proof enough that it makes a big difference.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

the only rewire mod i see on there is for a 1gawd...shouldnt i be lookin at one for a 2g?
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4g64terror)</div><div class='quotemain'>the only rewire mod i see on there is for a 1gawd...shouldnt i be lookin at one for a 2g?</div>

Its there...bottom one on the list "2g fwd".
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

phizz2k
    Yo this may be the cheap way of doing things but I was wondering if I could just run a 10 gauge wire of the 8 gauge wire runing to my amplifer in the trunk since there so close together. Then hook up the rest of the setup the way it describes in the tutorial.

That'll work. Any increased power is better then what it has. There may be different voltages when your subs are hitting some of the lower frequency notes, but I'm sure it's fine.

This mod is pretty easy. Just run 10 or 12 gauge wire to a relay right next to the fuel pump. Use the stock power wire to turn the relay on (think of it like a remote wire for your amp from the cd player to turn your amp on), then ground the pump with the same size you use for power.

SIMPLE AS THAT

IllestGalant
    you could, but the relay is still going to be there to make the thicker wire pointless. the wire is only as good as its weakest link. the relay, make sure you buy a good one,

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IllestGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>you could, but the relay is still going to be there to make the thicker wire pointless. the wire is only as good as its weakest link. the relay, make sure you buy a good one,</div>

A relay is nothing more then an electric switch. Good or bad doesnt matter, the relay terminals for automotive relays are rated at 25+amps so it doesnt matter. Your fuel pump isnt gonna pull anywheres near that much power. The dinky mitsu line will trigger the relay to close the contact connecting the 10guage wire to the other 10gauge wire that goes to the fuel pump, the relay contacts are flat copper usually equal to around 4-10 gauge anyway so its all the same shit.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

cool cool thanks
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

qestions guys,,i just checked out the 2g wire mod on vfaq...okay correct me if im wrong but they dont make any sense on there..okay u run 10 guage wire from the battery to the relay right??the wire going into the relay from the battery is 10 guage..but heres where its screwy, from the other side of the relay to the pump all they did was cut the factory wire and put a blade connector on it..so the power goes form a 10 guage wire into the relay and right back down to the factory size coming out of the relay....now using a weakest link theory whats the point in running 10 guage and then it going right back down into factory size wire? how could this increase voltage?
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

Experienced TGC Member
    You kinda have no choice but to have the small line on the fuel pump harness, however, electricaly speaking, the wire can handle the current your going to be feeding it. The only reason the stock wiring sucks is because the wire of that guage beeing run a long distance will not be able to hold the current, for the rewire only about 2" of that wire is used thats no big shit.

Btw if you really wanna see I had a friend sit in the back with a voltmeter back probing the fuel pump stock setup while I drove...cruising speed half throtle to full throttle measures 9v, unless you released the pedle and floor it again real fast you got a 30second 12-14v spike.

Now after the rewire...constant 12-14v no matter what throttle or conditions.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

cool cool i get it now..guess i better get crackin on it before the turbo gets done
    2.4 liters of whoop ass.

will this change volts use up more gas or will the car actually be more efficient with its gas??
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

IllestGalant
    i don't get it. I am getting battery voltage at the fuel pump. I haven't touched shit

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IllestGalant
    i don't get it. I am getting battery voltage at the fuel pump. I haven't touched shit
    Did you have a friend reading the voltage while your driving at heavy throttle? Cause thats when the voltage drops. If you have bat voltage under those conditions your the first one that I've ever heard of.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

IllestGalant
    yeah, my friends name is Fluke 87 III

Experienced TGC Member
    Maybe it depends what year, I got 97. I know alot of 2g eclipse guys that had low fp voltage, and another friend of mine with a 98 galant after I did my rewire we checked his and he also had low voltage.

I only found out about this because I was hitting a rev limit at 3k, but if I lift my foot off the gas and slammed it back down the car would push passed 3k for a few seconds and stop again, I would have to keep releasing and flooring the throttle. Someone suggested the FP rewire that I was probably losing fuel pressure.

By releasing the throttle it gave the system a chance buld up a lil more power so when I floored it again the fp had regular voltage for a few seconds. I verified this by having a friend with a voltmeter sit in the back while I drove and did the throttle play. After the rewire, problem cured.

At partial throttle I was reading like 9v.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast