The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Possible rear brake upgrade

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Possible rear brake upgrade

So, I went for a j/y walk today to check the inventory and I noticed some familiar things. There was a thread about how early 2g AWDs(very rare) came with vented rear discs and different calipers than the 2g GST(94 GS) or late 2g GSX. So I was like hmm that looks very similar. it was on 3000gt SL or base version and I know that the same setup is on 1g Diamante.

I did some measuring and the bolting patterns of the caliper brackets match and the hand brake assembly diameter is the same. I didnt have my camera or any tools with me to actually take it off, but next time I go i will do the swap on one of the cars at the j/y.

if this works that would be budget upgrade, not nearly expensive as Evo brembos or any other brakes. Also, if this works for 7g then it will work for 8g as well.

If someone has CAPS please cross reference the part numbers for 3000gt SL rear caliper and rotor with probably june-july 94 made 2g GSXs caliper and rotor

here are some photos of the different brakes:

early 2g AWD

and 7g/8g

Last edited by mko; 04-22-2010 at 01:34 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

The rear caliper piston is 1 3/8'' in diameter for both apps

Build Thread

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    good stuff man i saw this along time ago on dsm tuners...always thought about doing it about i never found the parts at a j/y....also I believe some 4g eclipse's rear brakes are also vented if those guys are bolting brembo's on..we shouldnt have an issue

Some more info:

3000gt SL stock dimensions

rear rotor is 10.5'' in diameter (vented)
    front rotor is 10.87'' in diameter (vented)

2g GST/7G Galant stock sizes

rear rotor is 10.31'' in diameter (solid)
    front rotor is 10.1'' in diameter (vented)

2g GSX 96-99

rear rotor is 10.31'' in diameter (solid)

2g GSX early 95 only

rear rotor is 10.5'' in diameter (vented)

Evo 8

rear rotor is 11.81'' in diameter (vented)
    front rotor is 12.6'' in diameter (vented)

97 3000gt VR4 (2nd gen)

rear rotor is 11.69'' in diameter (vented)
    front rotor is 12.4'' in diameter (vented)

92 3000gt VR4 (1st gen)

rear rotor is 11.2'' in diameter (vented)
    front rotor is 11.65'' in diameter (vented)
    Last edited by mko; 04-22-2010 at 05:23 PM

Build Thread

i actually tried to do this a while back.
    I picked up a couple sets cause I was going to sell them as an upgrade if it worked.

When I installed it. i couldn't turn the wheel because the drum inside the disk was too wide. I'm assuming because the rear disc mounting bracket flange ebrake assembly thing doesn't clear it.
    I tried to force it to turn once everything was bolted together, and ended up leaving a groove on the ebrake assembly rear disc mounting bracket flange thing.

This was like january 09, so i don't remember why exactly it didn't work out. I guess you'd just have to see for yourself

I ended up just throwing them all away. Not to say it couldn't be done. Just didn't work when I tried it.
    I'm curious to see if this works out.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    i actually tried to do this a while back.
    I picked up a couple sets cause I was going to sell them as an upgrade if it worked.

When I installed it. i couldn't turn the wheel because the drum inside the disk was too wide. I'm assuming because the rear disc mounting bracket flange ebrake assembly thing doesn't clear it.
    I tried to force it to turn once everything was bolted together, and ended up leaving a groove on the ebrake assembly rear disc mounting bracket flange thing.

This was like january 09, so i don't remember why exactly it didn't work out. I guess you'd just have to see for yourself

I ended up just throwing them all away. Not to say it couldn't be done. Just didn't work when I tried it.
    I'm curious to see if this works out.
    If you install the ebrake shoes and drum from the 3000gt sl or early 2g eclipse awd then it may fit. Look at the differences in rotors that MKO posted, it stands to reason that the drum assembly is different so if that is the issue it may still be a cheap upgrade.