The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Problem with my 96S(Governor issue? Bad TCU? *gulp* bad trans?)

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2
    HellCo96S

Problem with my 96S(Governor issue? Bad TCU? *gulp* bad trans?)

Hi guys, 1st time poster. I wanna keep it real brief, kinda get to the issue. I've seen several others posts bout similar probs, but not quite mine, so maybe someone can help.

I have a 96 S. Stock eng/trans. No changes. I purchased this car knowing it had a undiagnosed issue with the trans possibly. I drove it a 1/4 mi and saw for myself. The Galant would not shift out of 1st, it seemed almost stuck in 1st. The engine revved, close to 4000rpms. Just wouldn't shift to second.

I've asked around and I've gotten everything from "It's an o2 sensor in the trans. needing replacement" to "Take the governor off and it should be fine" to the most recent and most likely from the sound and who its coming from(an import familiar mechanic) - "It's an electrical solenoid possibly gone out, which you'll have to remove the trans and replace the entire valve body AND solenoid which will run like 300-400 dollars".

Also, I'm adding video/pics, as well as direct pics of some unusual looking sh&t around what i believe is the governor. Perhaps an issue as to why its acting this way?

Any advice, suggestions or feedback on possible given diagnosis gladly appreciated.

Pics of suspect wiring around governor

Pics of car

Video of wire around governor and allaround car
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OMQoCsjgoc

TGC Regular
    Its a bad trans.. Common problem with our G's... The trans were horrible with reliability.. My best suggestion for you is to invest in doing the 5 speed swap because if you put another auto in the same thing will happen...