The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How loud is the 9G 2.4l engine supposed to be?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

How loud is the 9G 2.4l engine supposed to be?

I got a used 2007 galant ES (first car) and my friend commented that the engine seemed a little loud. I hadn't really noticed it before, but it does sound louder than most cars I've driven / ridden in.
    The engine gets loud when I accelerate and doesn't seem to be that loud otherwise. It's not loud to a point where it's booming or drowning down the radio, but definitely a little above most cars which seem to be pretty quiet.
    I came across a post somewhere saying that the 4cyl engine on the galant is loud, but can't find a video of what a stock galant is supposed to sound like.

So, how loud is this thing supposed to be? Should I be concerned? I can't figure out if this is normal and the sound is supposed to be sporty, or if there might be something wrong with the car.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    post up a video

rocgalant
    I think my 2.4L is pretty loud too. About as loud as my old 2.4L '89 240sx was. I'm used to it though

easy fix.....................turn up the music
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

It is probably normal unless your exhaust piping is leaking somewhere.

i think it's perfectly normal, my 02 galant 2.4L did the same, den i added an intake and it's even louder, but sexy.

Mitsubishi does design their cars with the driver in mind. They want you to hear the engine and its powerband. They didn't design it to be intrusive, but they left it so you can enjoy the engine.

Otherwise... you would just drive your car off a bridge from sheer boredom.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    Mitsubishi does design their cars with the driver in mind. They want you to hear the engine and its powerband. They didn't design it to be intrusive, but they left it so you can enjoy the engine.

Otherwise... you would just drive your car off a bridge from sheer boredom.
    I can agree with that. Given that most sporty/enthusiast/etc type makes and models have a louder sound whether it's engine or exhaust note, lends creedance to that idea. I had a 4.6L Continental and it was much quiter than both my 2.4L 240sx and 2.4L Galant.

It is indeed louder than most of the newer cars.. That's one of the things they didn't like about the 9th generation Galant when i read the reviews on one of those magazines.. but for me it's perfect.=) It doesn't feel like I'm driving an electric car..

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    i hhave the same engine in my wifes outlander. it does tend to get a little louder as you accelerate and the mivec starts to kick in more.