The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: End all ultra easy solution for the 8g crappy spare tire cover!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 36

Icon3 End all ultra easy solution for the 8g crappy spare tire cover!!!!!!!!!!!

So my sister has an 8g. She has always bitched about the spare tire cover in her trunk. Its to the point where she doesn't even use her tuck cause shit always falls under the cover.

So i really didn't want to do an ounce of carpentry and fab her a hardwood cover. Nor did I want to add any more weight to her car(as I suspect many of you feel this way too)

So I came up with my own solution.... and its badass.

I know the 7g and (jdm)8g share the same exact suspension, and in a lot of ways are the same car.
    and I know that the 8g(usdm) and 7g share the same rear suspension.

So I my chain of thought led me to that many things in the 8g are only updated and sparingly changed versions of the 7g.

So.. on to the win part.
    My 7g has a pretty cool spare tire cover and tray organizer.

I remember back at a meet in Myrtle Beach that many of even the 7g guys were surprised by my spare tire cover(i guess that means some 7g's didn't have them)

I kept my old one from my Black GS, cause I thought maybe one day I'd sell it.

So here's the cool part. It fits absolutely perfectly in the 8g. The shape of the tray is the exact same size as the 8g spare tire cover. Even the carpet is almost the same size as the 8g trunk. I just left the carpet in and trimmer about a 1/4 inch on the passenger side around the edge.
    I meant to take pictures of the finished product. But suffice it to say You can stand on the tray and it won't budge. Also since it fills int he empty space around the spare tire, you can count on it never sliding around your trunk. It sits in there nice and flush like it was meant to come that way from the factory.

So head to the junkyard, pick one up, and slap it in there.
    Last edited by Prophet; 01-18-2011 at 10:31 AM

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Sorry for the crappy pics. I didn't have a lot of light and I think my camera phone lens is dirty.

The tray is actually pretty handy. I like to keep the jack tools, a small basic socket set, zip ties, flares, and of course a tire plug kit in there.
    Oh, and a pair of gloves for when you have to fix a flat in the winter time.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    so is this cover only on gs's or all 7g's?

would it fit over a full size spare?

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    thats awesome i have to look into that cuz my cover is warping and the velcro came off.

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

yope i getting my next week

Ill have to get one too. Thats pretty sweet deal.
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

i need to drive to a junk yard and start looking, thanks

as far as the full size goes, I tried using the one out of my dad's old diamante. But his full size is wider than the 8g full size. With his diamante full size in, the stock 8g cover wouldn't even fit flush, the cover was lifted like two inches off the floor of the trunk.. The diamante tire is wider and taller. I think the diamante is a true full size tire.

So i'm not sure about the 8g full size tire.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

ok mine is a 205/65/15 so it probably wont fit at all. Thanks anyway

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

I do agree the 8g spare tire cover is really weak. However, I've always had a full spare (my stock steelie actually) and after I removed the styrofoam things underneath the cover, the cover sits flat against tire. The tire is flush with the height of the trunk floor so with the cover on there, the tire is able to hold up anything you put in your trunk.

I wonder if the plastic tray can fit inside the inside of the wheel. That would be really nice, but the size of the tray in the pic makes me think its too big.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    i need this bad

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Awesome find !!!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I have the same cover in my 7g. I got it from the j-yard out of a non-GS 7g. I think I paid $5 for it :D

Old(Yes a partial quart of oil spilled in my trunk lolz):
    Last edited by seth98esT; 04-26-2010 at 05:49 PM
    7g for life!

Im deff going to look for one of these. Looks handy.
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

i have one as well. its tricky to find. all GS's had them and only few other models had it as an option.

you don't find them all too often.

good find!

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Blog Entries
    I'm gonna have to look for one of them because I'm tired of my daughters toys or diapers falling down with the damn spare...I can barely used my trunk anymore cuz of it...now I only keep my detailing stuff back there and its still irritating to have to get it from down by the spare

awesome. too bad i dont even have carpeting in my trunk...

I had it stock, didnt look for one in the yard. mine is ES trim but only 94-95 had that. the newer 96-98 had the same plywood shit as 8g's do

good find John
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    I had it stock, didnt look for one in the yard. mine is ES trim but only 94-95 had that. the newer 96-98 had the same plywood shit as 8g's do

good find John
    yeah my old 94 es had it too

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast