The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: at a loss with my new '10 galant

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

at a loss with my new '10 galant

I installed my stereo just fine in my old car ('03 galant), but something just isn't right and I don't know why.

I know I have the power wire secure and fused correctly. I have tried two grounding locations with no problem in either spot.

I have a jbl 300.1 using line level inputs just like in the old car.

I can get signal to the amp, as the lights light up correctly.
    But the sub is barely letting any sound out (obviously just carrying the signal from the spliced rear speaker wires)
    I thought at first that the fact I have the rear speakers spliced was robbing the sub of needed signal, so I completely cut the rear speakers out and no change.

The only other thing that happens every time I wire up the sub, my anti-lock and TCL comes on.

Thoughts?
    I got the wire colors from two different sources (which agree).
    I'm about to give up and pay somebody to install it, but I really don't want to.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Pay someone.. Why would you put rear speakers to subs???

Using line level inputs. I don't want to change the HU. Too many HUs stolen and I'm not trying to create a competition sound, I'm satisfied with the stock HU.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    Pay someone.. Why would you put rear speakers to subs???
    x2
    Get a professional to install it.

4g64T 5spd

rocgalant
    Does your LOC have knobs to turn the signal up and down? May be obvious, but sometimes, the obvious stuff can be missed.

Also, why not use decent aftermarket speaker wire instead of trying to wire using the lame 20ga factory speaker wire? Maybe a an hour long job but the sound benefits could be worth it.

The amp was still set from the previous install but I messed around anyway, no change, no amplified signal going to the sub.

Right now I just want my sub hooked up to the stock system, I intend on rewiring everything down the road (when I put a second sub in).
    I have a few ideas I might try on the weekend, but right now I'm more concerned about the lights coming on. Can't find any information on it and I know I'm not wired into anything I shouldn't be.

themadmon
    do you have a high to low convertor installed? a tecnique i use on oem installs is to run power wires through car. connect remote wire to ignition switch behind radio and connect high to low on one speaker in the trunk of car. run rca down and connect amp. always works. bmw. mitsus, nissans, hondas, benz.

rocgalant
    Try reconnecting the rear speakers and see if they still work. If not, you know you're problem is somewhere in the speaker wires. If they work, then you know something is screwy with the radio-LoC-amp connection.

Quote Originally Posted by icebrc View Post
    I installed my stereo just fine in my old car ('03 galant), but something just isn't right and I don't know why.

I know I have the power wire secure and fused correctly. I have tried two grounding locations with no problem in either spot.

I have a jbl 300.1 using line level inputs just like in the old car.

I can get signal to the amp, as the lights light up correctly.
    But the sub is barely letting any sound out (obviously just carrying the signal from the spliced rear speaker wires)
    I thought at first that the fact I have the rear speakers spliced was robbing the sub of needed signal, so I completely cut the rear speakers out and no change.

The only other thing that happens every time I wire up the sub, my anti-lock and TCL comes on.

Thoughts?
    I got the wire colors from two different sources (which agree).
    I'm about to give up and pay somebody to install it, but I really don't want to.
    behind the radio your wire colors are as follows:
    12 volt red/white
    ground chassis
    ignition blue
    illumination green/white
    factory amp turn on light blue
    power antenna blue/white
    left front speaker +/- white/blue - black/blue
    right front speaker +/- white/red - black/red
    left rear speaker +/- yellow/blue - gray/blue
    right rear speaker +/- yellow/red - gray/red

If equipped, the amplifier is behind the glove box. On vehicles with amplifier, the tweeter wires are red/blue - orange/blue at the radio, 14 pin plug, pins 5 and 13. The speaker wires are white/blue - black/blue at the amplifier, 18 pin plug, pins 8 and 18.

you should get yourself a line level converter.
    amps are simple. If you have a power wire (fused) going strait to the battery, a good chassis ground and a remote turn on wire the amp will "light up" signal has nothing to do with it.

your rear speaker wires are:
    left rear speaker +/- yellow/blue - gray/blue
    right rear speaker +/- yellow/red - gray/red
    if these are not the ones you hooked up to then they are hooked up wrong.
    they could also be out of phase. the positive and negative need to be hooked up right.
    disconnect one sub and see if you get bass.
    reconnect the rear speakers and make sure you still get sound.
    use a "line level converter"
    line input on amps suck.
    good luck.
    Sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...