The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Another Manual Question. 2.4L

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Another Manual Question. 2.4L

This is somewhat basic, but also something that others should see that are considering 5spd swaps.

I know the v6 guys can use the tranny from the 3.0L R/T stratus.

But my question is since 3.0 eclipse and 3.0 stratus R/T Coupe use the F5M51 they are intrinsically the same tranny.

So here is my question.

These vehicles use F5M42:
    2.4 4cyl Dodge Stratus 00-on
    2.7 6cyl Dodge Stratus R/T Sedan 02-on
    2.4 Mitsubishi Eclipse and Spyder 00-05
    and
    2.0 Mitsubishi Lancer 2002-unsure

So can we assume that the F5M42 is the same in all of these models and are thus interchangeable and swappable as direct drop ins?

ive said something about the lancer trannsmission, since it has different gearing, but nobody knows if it will bolt up.

I owned a Lancer OZ Rally. But I am also unsure of that tranny bolting up to the 4G64.

I read that the bell housing is different, but bellhousings are swapable. The thing I am worried about is the axles on the thing fitting. I have a JY getting me pictures and model info on a 2.7 dodge stratus tranny. They are 300-500 rather then 800.

TGC Regular
    The 97-02 Mitsubishi Mirage 4g93 tranny fits but you have to use a 92.5-94 4G63 N/A Mitsubishi Eclipse or Eagle Talon flywheel. The 4G64 flywheel is to big and wont fit into the bellhousing. Im not sure how the transmission mounts, but it has discussed over at mirageforums.

Quote Originally Posted by remarque View Post
    The 97-02 Mitsubishi Mirage 4g93 tranny fits but you have to use a 92.5-94 4G63 N/A Mitsubishi Eclipse or Eagle Talon flywheel. The 4G64 flywheel is to big and wont fit into the bellhousing. Im not sure how the transmission mounts, but it has discussed over at mirageforums.
    Hmm on an 8G are you sure? One thing I would be worried about is the size of the axles and the strength of that tranny.

The mirage uses the F5M41 not the 42 so that is why I am like hrm cause I would feel safer assuming a 42 is a 42 maybe with slightly different internals

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    how much would a bellhousing alone cost you, if you needed to swap them?

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    how much would a bellhousing alone cost you, if you needed to swap them?
    no bell housings only are listed on car-parts.com, but Ive seen low priced parts only broken trannies so I can possibly find one of those with an intact bell housing. What I really want to know is if the 2.4 or 2.7 Stratus trannies are a direct fit since there are a few within 50 miles of my house.

The 2.7L Dodge Stratus transmission will NOT fit because the Stratus/Sebring Sedans use Chrysler engines and transmissions and are made in Michicgan not at the Normal plant. The Stratus/Sebring Sedan and convertible only share the name plate with the coupe and nothing else.

My second manual trans for my 8G came out of a 2003 Dodge Stratus Coupe SE. 2001-2006? Dodge StratusChrysler Sebring Coupe transmissions will fit. The sedans and the convertibles will not. Just to make it clear, SEDAN and CONVERTIBLE Stratus/Sebring transmissions will NOT fit. Totally different car, and totally different engine.

As far as the Lancer or Mirage transmissions go, I would stick with the 3G Eclipse/2G Stratus/Sebring transmissions unless there is a REAL benefit strength wise with swapping the Mirage/Lancer case onto a 3G bellhousing.

IMO it's not worth the hassle of using a non-proven trans just to save a couple hundred dollars. You can find Stratus transmissions for as low as $300 + shipping. My new transmission cost me $550 shipped with only 69K on it.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    The 2.7L Dodge Stratus transmission will NOT fit because the Stratus/Sebring Sedans use Chrysler engines and transmissions and are made in Michicgan not at the Normal plant. The Stratus/Sebring Sedan and convertible only share the name plate with the coupe and nothing else.

My second manual trans for my 8G came out of a 2003 Dodge Stratus Coupe SE. 2001-2006? Dodge StratusChrysler Sebring Coupe transmissions will fit. The sedans and the convertibles will not. Just to make it clear, SEDAN and CONVERTIBLE Stratus/Sebring transmissions will NOT fit. Totally different car, and totally different engine.

As far as the Lancer or Mirage transmissions go, I would stick with the 3G Eclipse/2G Stratus/Sebring transmissions unless there is a REAL benefit strength wise with swapping the Mirage/Lancer case onto a 3G bellhousing.

IMO it's not worth the hassle of using a non-proven trans just to save a couple hundred dollars. You can find Stratus transmissions for as low as $300 + shipping. My new transmission cost me $550 shipped with only 69K on it.
    are u sure on the sedans jigz? its the same tranny code

DEAD sure. I've looked into this when I did my swap. It might be the same code but the Chrysler 2.7L transmission is totally different from the Mitsu transmissions. I mean I guess you could try it. but as far as I know they don't work.

EDIT: Only the transmissions out of the Normal plant will fit.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

DEAD sure. I've looked into this when I did my swap. It might be the same code but the Chrysler 2.7L transmission is totally different from the Mitsu transmissions. I mean I guess you could try it. but as far as I know they don't work.

EDIT: Only the transmissions out of the Normal plant will fit.
    Alright. But you're sure the 2.4 dodge one fits fine does it use the stock axles we have? I am getting picture of the 2.7 f5m42 today so Ill post it up

Is it only the SE manual that fits from 2001-2002? Cause in 2003 its a 2.4 but its called SXT and those trannies are cheaper.
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 04-29-2010 at 11:45 PM

2.4L transmission from the COUPE fits. It is what is in my car right now. With Galant Axles, 2G clutch, and 3G flywheel.

EDIT: The SE/SXT wil fit the 4G64. The R/T will fit the 6G72.
    Last edited by 4g63lover; 04-29-2010 at 11:49 PM

2.4L transmission from the COUPE fits. It is what is in my car right now. With Galant Axles, 2G clutch, and 3G flywheel.

EDIT: The SE/SXT wil fit the 4G64. The R/T will fit the 6G72.
    Thanks Jigz <3 I found a few 03-05 2.4 SXT trannies close by for under 500 so I am going for the lower mileage ones around 40 miles. one says 18k, but it says welded so I may avoid tht one.

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    Hmm on an 8G are you sure? One thing I would be worried about is the size of the axles and the strength of that tranny.

The mirage uses the F5M41 not the 42 so that is why I am like hrm cause I would feel safer assuming a 42 is a 42 maybe with slightly different internals
    I think the F5M41 is just as strong as the F5M42. I know it bolts to the 4G64 but all the swaps were done on 5G Mirages.