The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clutch decision

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar

Clutch decision

picked up the 5 speed swap and now the main choice is on the clutch. i have been looking at the ACT 2100 with sprung 6 puck and its around 350 bucks, or should i go with an exedy replacement clutch for around 130.

clutch will be run in with a dohc swapped turbo and im just worrying if the exedy will hold the power while trying to stay on a budget. any thoughts, other options welcome

thanks for the help
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

depends on your expected torque output...but a safe bet would be something stronger than the 2100
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    depends on your expected torque output...but a safe bet would be something stronger than the 2100

no idea on torque. will be running a 14b at around 12 psi with the dohc swap

a gst with a 14b running 12 psi makes around 200 ft/lbs so maybe a little more from the 2.4
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

exedy is plenty for now. when you go high boost then you upgrade it. i run 9 psi daily, seth ran 20 psi on 14b w/o slippage. the exedy will hold up even with high boost daily driving. You really need heavier clutch if you hit the track or a course, and if you decide you want to chase mustangs and evos, but then you should really be asking if you want to spend money on the car or tickets
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    exedy is plenty for now. when you go high boost then you upgrade it. i run 9 psi daily, seth ran 20 psi on 14b w/o slippage. the exedy will hold up even with high boost daily driving. You really need heavier clutch if you hit the track or a course, and if you decide you want to chase mustangs and evos, but then you should really be asking if you want to spend money on the car or tickets
    it will still be my daily but i do plan on going to the track and maybe a few autox events so i think i may go act 2600 with street disc
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

yeah thats was up i was thinking because im putting some hks reground cams stage2:intake and stage1: Exhaust and im have my 5 speed on a trade this week he got a stage 1 clutch in it i think from act it hold up hard.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    act makes real good clutches. they are capable of holding a good amount of power and last quite some time in tyhe right application.
    but on a daily driven car i wouldnt go with a puck clutch. in fact i want aware the 2100 came as a puck option.
    get a full street disk and depending on what your torque goals are (look what others are making with similar setups) that will decide on either the 2100 or the 2600.

the 2600 is a real stiff clutch and for a daily driven car it may be a little of an annoyance. its by no means unbearable. but can be a little annoying if you live in or travel to a higher traffic area

yea craig i will probabaly be going with an ACT 2600 with street disc. ive driven with the 2600 before and it wasnt that bad to me.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Exedy factory replacement clutch is good enough for what u are trying to do. It's the factory clutch for EVO123 they don't give up until maybe 350 bhp or so...And they are SO DAMN CHEAP from eBay. I got my kit for $80 shipped.

ok so today i reexamined what i had picked up from the yard for the swap. the clutch i pulled from the car is new.. prolly 1k miles on it if that as there is no signs of use and is a Luk clutch and the pressure plate is a Daiken pressure plate with little wear. i picked up an act 2100 and the pp is great but the disc only has 2k on it but the kid really beat it up.

so instead of going out and getting another act disc is it possible to use the luk clutch with the act pressure plate? ive searched everywhere and havent found anything on it, any help is appreciated.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

so i picked up another ACT street disc(revised) for 50 bucks from a buddy and its like new so now i should be all set

BTW rode in said buddies 30r 1g with just upgraded fuel mods that dynoed 373 on 93 and OMG it was effin quick
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR