The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Got the IAC in and it still won't start

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Icon4 Got the IAC in and it still won't start

I've searched the forum for other IAC issues which has been of great help because mine died too. My 7G would seem to run fine at speed and then died twice with no warning except for fluctuating idle speed when stopped. The first time happened at a drive through window and the last time coming up to a signal. Thank God I was able to coast to the curb...

I got a IAC (Thanks Bronx!), put it in but the car will not start - belts are good, TB is clean and spark was great prior to this. I took it to my mech friend and the car has been there over a week - he's very thorough and running down the prob. If you've 'been there, done that' and have the solution then hit me back. More eyes on this issue can only help!

Thanks!

maybe silly question, but did you plug in the connector? sometimes I just put the sensor on and forget to connect it.

the IAC wouldnt stop the car from starting. Youre having spark - fuel problem. What year is your car? Have you ever changed distributor?
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Thanks for the interest! The sensor is connected and the distributor was in great shape but I'll check again. If that is not the issue then what because I checked earlier and everything pointed to the IAC being the issue!

i have my IAC removed, the plug is hanging somewhere there and its still starting and idling.

As I said before - spark and/or fuel issue

Build Thread

I'll check this out and see what I find. I've already spent money on a new IAC when the old one was failing on me. Now you're telling me a possible distributor prob, when that wasn't an issue before - i.e. 'Fuel and spark'

We'll see...

TGC Regular
    you could also check the ground wire that hooks to your batt. Mine was old and went bad.. When it was going bad my idle would fluctuate and die.. is it at least cranking? cus if its cranking then its not the problem..

If you said that you've got good spark, then maybe it's a fuel issue or a TPS?
    I would check the TPS voltage and the fuel pump / injectors...
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

if IAC is no the problem... i think the problem is your Coil or it is in the ECU... Your ECU is running abnormally... whats the engine of your 7G?
    angelnids

*Galant Viento 1996 V6 24V 6A12 Engine 5 Speed Manual Trans*

I finally got this cleared. Turns out it was a combination of both the IAC and the Throttle control. She's running now but has an intermittent rough idle at boulevard stops -it has stalled twice so far and only after coming to a complete stop. When I first got the car running the idle was too high, so I adjusted and now it seems to be too low.

Another thing I've noticed is it can hesitate when downshifting, such as when I slow to a stop. Then when I try to proceed the car lurches into 1st. I had my friend check the trans and he said it was fine, yet something is off. Ideas?
    Last edited by dasd; 06-04-2010 at 09:04 PM

Quote Originally Posted by dasd View Post
    I finally got this cleared. Turns out it was a combination of both the IAC and the Throttle control. She's running now but has an intermittent rough idle at boulevard stops -it has stalled twice so far and only after coming to a complete stop. When I first got the car running the idle was too high, so I adjusted and now it seems to be too low.

Another thing I've noticed is it can hesitate when downshifting, such as when I slow to a stop. Then when I try to proceed the car lurches into 1st. I had my friend check the trans and he said it was fine, yet something is off. Ideas?

1. Again, FIAVs on out cars (+DSMs) are notorious foe having major problems. Changing the IAC will probably take care of the idling problem, but the fast idle air valve (FIAV) is your problem. There are block off plates that completely remove the FIAV and there are bypass plates that leave the idle control operational. There are bunch of techniques on DSM tuners by filling some of the passages with JB weld and stuff,

2. Its the all mighty-shitty 7g tranny. What do you expect? Get a bigger transmission oil cooler and replace the little piece of crap thats in there

Build Thread