The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g64 swap to 4g63

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    alaskangalant

4g64 swap to 4g63

Hi I have a 95 galant with an all stock 4g64 auto trans with bad rods and valve seals and i decided to go with a 4g63 swap and then turbo it myself. Now im looking into buying a 90 galant with the sohc 4g63 auto trans it runs great just needs some injectors.

I also plan on replacing the enternals so that i can run atleast 14psi turbo so part sugestions are welcomed (such as pistons, injectors, fuel pump, ect).

So my question is what all needs to be swapped out between the 2 of them such as the wire harnes, ecu or tranny?
    Then just for an out there question will the grill on the 90 fit the 95?

Any help or links to people that have done this would be great

ty for u time

use the search function.

alaskangalant
    im just simply asking if its worth it or if i should hold out to find a different engine and if it is worth it could u point me in the right derection.
    im not sure if this is what i will do though because as im reading im finding that a turbo charged 2.0 sohc might not be what im looking for. what im wanting is my 95 galant to be right around 350-400 wheel hp with a 5 speed tranny.

chances are it will be more work then it is worth to fit in a 1990 4g63. I am not sure what years galants switched to OBDII, but the harnesses will be completely different me thinks. Look for a fwd 95-99 gs-t eclipse you can swap engine and tranny from them I believe.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    honestly.. if you are going to get a sohc 63 there is no point and then building that as well is even worse. replace the internals on the 4g64.. get some new pistons and rods for like 600-800 for a fully built setup. new bearings, polished crank etc so around like 1000-1400 in new parts capable of holding the power you want. a non turbo 63 sohc is useless and why give up .4 liters and pay more as there is the cost of the motor then replacing everything.

honestly this has been discussed too many times.. even ppl who did the 6 bolt 63t swap looking back would rather have built the 64 so stick with the 4g64
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

alaskangalant
    ok well see my proplem is that i live in alaska and im not sure what all makes and models are swapable with my 95 galant, and with being in alaska shipping from the lower 48s is to expensive for an engine and tranny. so i guess what im saying is if anyone knows where i can get info on what can be swapped between my car and other cars that would be a whole lot of help. like a list of make, model, and year that will swap with the 7g galant if there is even a list.
    but yeah thanks for your input

build what you have!!!!!!! its free to start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

alaskangalant
    Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    honestly.. if you are going to get a sohc 63 there is no point and then building that as well is even worse. replace the internals on the 4g64.. get some new pistons and rods for like 600-800 for a fully built setup. new bearings, polished crank etc so around like 1000-1400 in new parts capable of holding the power you want. a non turbo 63 sohc is useless and why give up .4 liters and pay more as there is the cost of the motor then replacing everything.

honestly this has been discussed too many times.. even ppl who did the 6 bolt 63t swap looking back would rather have built the 64 so stick with the 4g64

yeah i see what you are saying but i called all the junkyards and none of them have a 4g64 the only good engine i have found so far is the 4g63 but and i need a second vehicle asap so getting the 90 galant was to have that second vehicle while i save up the money to get the parts to build it, but like u said its not much worth it.

You dont need to find a good 4g64 if you're planning to build. If your block is good you can get it machined get the new parts put in with rods pistons and everything. If there is an issue with the head its cheaper to replace that then buying a new engine either way.

alaskangalant
    ok well ty for all your help, im just gonna go with rebuilding the block i have now. but one last quick question... what 5 speed tranny and from what cars will fit it i know some of the eclipse and hyundia but im not sure what years. although i am guessing it would be around the 90s to 99 that could fit

You are a new guy so I will answer your questions now, but for future reference please search. Every question you have right now has been asked and answered a few times.

They make manual transmissions or the 7G galants which is 93-98 and you can also use 2G eclipse parts 95-99

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...ight=7g+manual

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...ight=7g+manual

Quote Originally Posted by alaskangalant View Post
    yeah i see what you are saying but i called all the junkyards and none of them have a 4g64 the only good engine i have found so far is the 4g63 but and i need a second vehicle asap so getting the 90 galant was to have that second vehicle while i save up the money to get the parts to build it, but like u said its not much worth it.
    if you are getting a second car to drive why not build the 64 that is in the car now? dont go buy another engine when you already have one to build.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

alaskangalant
    well see there is 3 of us using 1 car to get back and forth to work and so most generaly one of us ends up late just about everyday, so i was just wanting some advice on the idea of swapping to the 63 becuase i do need a second car asap. i just figured some of you would be able to give me some sort of derection on it real quick becuase i dont have much time through out the day to do research, i have a kid a job and 1 car to drive everyone to work, the few hours i get i sleep. so before you just jump to the conclusion that im to lazy to do research think about how much i gotta get done in one day. Not trying to be rude but i hardly even get 5 hours of sleep a day so research is one extra thing in my day i just dont get the chance to do. trust me i would if i could but at this point in my life i just dont have the time.

um, get another 64 as its easiest, no swapping harnesses or sensors or shaving motor mounts just put a god damn 64 in it and stop your bitching. fucking newbs.. easiest thing is to put what came in it back in!!!!!
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    um, get another 64 as its easiest, no swapping harnesses or sensors or shaving motor mounts just put a god damn 64 in it and stop your bitching. fucking newbs.. easiest thing is to put what came in it back in!!!!!
    haha Chris you gotta chill, but yeah alaskan we all have responsibilities too that doesnt stop us from using the search feature to get our answers. If you need an extra car or two right now stop looking at mods and turbocharging and spend the money on whats most important. You have responsibilities so pick up a few cars and park the galant you have now. Pay off the cars you buy and then build the 64 the way you want to. Ive had to sell 2 vehicles I love to pay school and bills cause I couldnt make enough in this economy, but now that everything is paid for I am starting to accumulate parts for performance mods for the Galant. Just set your priorities right and work towards it. If you want a fun car right now that is reliable look for a 92 or older bmw 5spd. My Bimmer had 167k miles 192 hp and spun 245s til 3rd gear. It was a blast, but I had to sell it to pay off school like I said.