The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 3.8 twin turbo?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

3.8 twin turbo?

may be considered a dumb question. but would it be possible to use the exhaust manifolds, turbos, and all necessary plumbing from the 3000GT TT on our 3.8's since they are in the same 6g- engine family?

The short answer is, no. The only option is custom turbo (or twin turbo) kits.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    The short answer is, no. The only option is custom turbo (or twin turbo) kits.
    Technically you are right, but you actually could use the manifolds from the 3000GT. The 3000GT manifolds are a "squished" port design which is not a direct "mate" for the ports on the 6g72/4/5 series engines in the Galant/Eclipse/Stratus. The side to side measurement of the 3000GT ports is sufficient to match the ports on our heads (72/74/75), but the height is too small (1.5" vs 1.75" IIRC).

With some modification to the 3000GT manifold flange, and piping at the flange you can use these manifolds with no fitment issues.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by cyuenchon View Post
    may be considered a dumb question. but would it be possible to use the exhaust manifolds, turbos, and all necessary plumbing from the 3000GT TT on our 3.8's since they are in the same 6g- engine family?
    Not a dumb question. I was thinking of buying a tt manifold and testing fitment.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

interesting too see how close it would be?
    ive got boost on my mind.....

this is a bit more feed back than i initially thought id recieve on the topic. Im just simply surprized I havent read about anyone else trying it. Im mainly just throwing ideas out there to see if anything will work for us 9g guys. we cant let the 4g guys have all the fun.

yes i agree i have a 1997 3000gt VR4 and and extra set of manifolds for it. i just may check the fitment on my next day off when im not busy.
    ive got boost on my mind.....