The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: changing out starter

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

changing out starter

Hey guys im a new user!

I just got a 7g and its in good condition. The only bad thing is that it needs a new starter. So my question is how hard is it to change out the starter on these cars. Should i do it myself or leave it to a mechanic.

If i do it myself is there anything i should look out for while replacing it?
    Hints?
    Tips?
    How to?

Any help would be great, thanks!

there are two 14mm bolts to the tranny and one 12mm bolt for the wire on the back of it.

You should remove air intake hose, box and filter for easy access

it shouldnt take you more than 45-60 min
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

That easy?

A friend told me that you have to put it in a specific way or is it as easy as just remove, replace and on my way?

its kind of a bitch because of its location, but it is do-able. It is under the intake manifold. I am pretty sure it only goes in one way...whe you take it out be sure to pay attention to the location of the wires....but yeah, unbolt it and swap in a new one. Bolt it back and your good. I have done it a couple of times....not a real big deal

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Ok thanks :D

So this doesn't require getting under the car?

ok so im having a little trouble getting this thing off.

am I overlooking something?

am I suppose to take off anything prior to removing the starter?

any help would be nice

just remove the intake, disconnect the two wires on the starter, and unbolt the two bolts. Other than the location being a pain in the ass, it really is as simple as that. Whats your issue? Whats holding you up

I removed my short air intake and located the starter but when i was feeling around for a 14mm bolt all I felt was this weird round bolt that was bolted to the tranny. Got on the other side of the car to take a look of the bolt and i could see that the bolt was rounded at top. How the hell do I remove that?!

if its rounded, probably means that someone else tried to remove it or fucked it up installing it. Might need a bolt extraction kit....for real if it is in such bad shape and you cant get it....suck it up and pay to have someone remove it. You'll continue to get frustrated and that may cause more problems! LOL. Rounded bolts suck...good luck

Finally replaced the starter but it's still making a weird grinding noise

What could this be?

Flywheel damage?

I still think its the starter...I mean you figure all of the starters are refurbs and god knows what jackass is rebuilding them. I had a new clutch and flywheel and mine made that sound too. I am betting its a crappy starter...they are all crappy starters

I bought it brand new

it was making the same noise before i changed the starter and it still makes the same noise, kinda sounds like ice in a blender on high

IDK...are you 100% sure it was brand new? i'd say about 90% of the starters on the market for our cars are refurbs. Brand new would be extremely expensive and if it is new it should have a warranty. So if its not working properly take it back!

Yeah i have a 1 year warranty

are you sure its the starter making the sound
    do yall have ac?
    maybe its the compressor
    mine does that when i start it up

I dont have AC and mine makes the noise. Its the starter. I have no idea why.....but its the starter. The majority of the starters bought arer not new as people would like to believe. They are refurbs....over 90% of the starters for the 7G are refurbs and I dont think they are put together well....thats my thought

Just take your old one to Autozone, They'll test it. If it makes the grinding noise then it's probably your new starter too that's making the noise.

alright i got a autozone starter too and i found that its not the starter its the positive head on the battery mine had a tone of corrosion but its hidden

NateAtkinson17
    Yah id have to agree getting the starter out is a bitch but its pretty simple