The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Toggle Switch Mounting

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Toggle Switch Mounting

I will be writing about how to install a simple goggle switch in the 8 g galant so that it looks factory. It's actually pretty simple the most difficult thing will be wiring whatever component. Mine took a little time because I was wiring lights into my door speakers. but, because we don't want to run lights all DAY and night long I decided to add it to a toggle switch.

NOTE* this tutorial just covers installation of the toggle wiring is specific to the accessory and remember to use fuses as testing it before I started the install I blew the 10 fuse for the cig lighter.

tools: butter knife or paint lid pry tool, hands........its that simple, whatever you need to do the wiring.

1. Use the pry tool to pry at the sides of the cig lighter assembly, the two holding pins are on the bottom as seen in the second picture. the first picture shows where to pry on the piece when it's in the car.

2. Do not pull too hard b/c you have to disconnect the neg and pos terminals for each lighter. this will be easy just push down the tabs on the connectors and pull off terminal. (black connectors tabs face side doors, white connectors face to inside of cylinder they are in)

3. Once out, turn around the back and notice the two cig lighters. I am not sure if there is any difference accessories of combos for other models, mine is a DE so I assume everyone has at least what I have. We will be removing the top cig lighter. This can be done by unscrewing the gold part that i am pointing at in the second picture for this part. Once unscrewed, the silver part from the back of the assembly should fall right out as seen in the third pic for this section. the front section that has the cap on it will now slide out the front as seen in last pic of this section.

4.Now, take this switch from radio shack (others my fit perfectly but this one happened to fit rather well and is only one I know of) the part number is 275-731. you can see here that is comes with a switch, a bracket, and two screws. We will just need the switch. the second pic is the side of the switch all you have to do is stick it in the hole left by the cig lighter. my top finger is close to a notch on the switch, which should go into notch on cig lighter assembly. there is a diagram on the back of the switch box so you know where neg, pos, and load go.

*NOTE the stock negative terminal from the car will fit right on the switch post no problems, the white one is too small, so slicing a connector might be needed*

5. Do your wiring please include fuses, and you assume all risk involved with this install do not do wiring if you are not comfortable doing it. but here is the final product, its fits well enough to look stock, but is easy to take out and replace with original lighter if needed if you want to secure it a bit more just is a bit of super glue.

**UPDATE**

I have to go look at houses but I will post a pic tonight. In the pic your will see that you can just remove part of the positive terminal on the switch and the stock positive connector will fit. I did this with a pair of wire cutters but I am sure a dremel or a file could do it also, dremel being the fastest. You want to trim the side of the number 1 post on the switch about half between the circles in the middle of the post and the side. ONLY DO THIS ON ONE SIDE OF THE SWITCH POSITIVE POST.

why wold you want to lose one of your power outlets just to install a switch? there are lots of places to put a switch. you could even install a small switch between the outlets and the ashtray, so u don't lose an outlet.

Yeah I agree with Relax I would never give mine up. You can also make spots to mount switches near where fog switch is.

I could but only need one socket, i dont smoke, and anything else I would use for the socket I will just make the new mounting place, i did it for a more stock look and less of a aftermarket I have this look. I could prob have my car repaired without anyone knowing the difference. I would put them where the mirror controls go but i will prob add them from a higher trim model since I know the electrical inputs are already there. Plus doing it this way, I have 90 percent of wiring already done for me and its already fused.

That is true. My montero had a similar set up with Aftermarket fogs where our fogs are mounted. There were 6 toggle switches there all looked slightly oem but were aftermarket.

One was fogs, one was engine kill switch, one was brake light kill switch, and there were a few others. I love mounting toggles there its slightly hidden.

Yea I think it's an aging thing. When I first got my car I wanted lambo doors and interior totally carbon fiber and all that. But now, its like I want my car to look somewhat stock, but have my own gadgets for things that are not completely obvious to thieves, or when getting the car inspected, (even tho in KS I don't need it, but in texas I do). I think now the mods are more for the love of the process and the thought than it is for the wow factor. Ultimately I think it feels better for when someone gets in your car notices the effects rather than the gauges and lights and all that. Like someone says wow your car is fast isnt it a i4, and you say yea but i boosted it. or man I didn't even know you had those interior lights, yea I put it in a year ago.... that kind of thing.

Check this page out.....http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2426/article.html

BACK TO INSTALL: the picture below show where I have cut the terminal, remember to do the positive end. When this is done correctly the connector will go right on so if you sell the car you just unhook then and install the cig lighter. Notice how much close the edge is to the circles in the middle of the post now, about half the distance from the original edge. Good luck, you do not have to do this mod, but if the only thing you run is a ipod or just a radar detector and you wont need a second then this is a very easy install that is very easy to remove later.

looks clean. pics are a bit small