The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Memphis Car Audio? Huh?

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Memphis Car Audio? Huh?

I went to a few car audio shops today (I'll never go to Best Buy) to find a place that is MECP certified and I ran across one where most of the Indianapolis Colts players go. I was asking prices on install of some speakers once I put my touch screen DVD receiver in and I mentioned I was probably going to be leaning towards JL Audio or Alpine speakers (no subs). The guy there was really pushing Memphis Car Audio brand... saying he has them in his car, and his daughter and wife's car, etc, and a couple of their techs use them.

Now... I've never heard of them? I was going to stick with Alpine or JL Audio because I know they are top line. The guy says Memphis Audio is just as good if not BETTER, and for the most part a bit more affordable. Here's their website in case anybody wants to look. www.memphiscaraudio.com

I plan to put in component speakers in the front doors and dash, and then get some 6x9's for the rear, and of course an amp to push, all saddled by an Alpine iVA-W203 head unit.

My question is... have any of you guys heard of them? What do you think? Opinions? Experiences? Etc? From what I'm reading on their website, they seem to be good quality as far as what they are made of and their specs. But I'm always weary of buying brand I've never heard of.

Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    i wouldnt recommend memphis i have them now for the front & the tweeters w/ them they sound crappy i'd stick 2 alpine or even pioneer i have pioneers for the rear & it sounds like i have subs
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

I was just browsing crutchfields site, they don't even carry Memphis.... that says something to me.

Memphis is solid stuff. Don't believe that not being carried by Crutchfield equates to not being good quality. Crutchfield never carried A/D/S, PPI, Morel, Sony Mobile XES, SoundStream, and many many other top shelf companies. I worked at a high-end professional audio shop years ago, and Memphis was a top shelf brand, at least their amplifiers and subwoofers.

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/mclass/

i had one of their amps and subs years ago and it sounded great. i would highly reccomend them to anyone. they have been around my area for years (but then again i dont live too far from memphis)

i also have one of there amps,they were top notch a few years ago,didnt realize they still made memphis ,jl in my eyes is overpriced, and there is MUCH better out ther for better money.

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    my personal experience they make great top of the line subs and amps but there shitty for inside speakers i use Infinity's for inside but for subs i would recommend Memphis and there amp are good stuff too
    03 I4

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2 View Post
    my personal experience they make great top of the line subs and amps but there shitty for inside speakers i use Infinity's for inside but for subs i would recommend Memphis and there amp are good stuff too
    i wish i would of known dat b4 buyin speakers
    - Chris -

Quote Originally Posted by Rach3T8G View Post
    i wish i would of known dat b4 buyin speakers
    Depends on how you have them powered, and what is powering them.

What is your setup?

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post

What is your setup?
    Ohh yeah i fail to mention that i was running them strait from the head unit no amp to my inside speakers
    03 I4

mine have a mini amp my front speakers & tweeters and still sound crappy
    - Chris -

Quote Originally Posted by Rach3T8G View Post
    mine have a mini amp my front speakers & tweeters and still sound crappy
    What is this 'mini amp"?

Brand?

Model?

RMS Power?

Need more information to help you along your setup.

i'll get back 2 you on dat
    - Chris -

I've owned two Memphis Audio subwoofers since 2007 and they're the best woofers I've had in a minute. They definitely sound great and got some pound to them.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post

What is your setup?
    If you pair after market speakers with an aftermarket head unit and you still need a 4channel to get decent to good quality sound out of them, the speakers you bought arent worth the box they came in.
    Unfortunatly that is memphis internals.

My experiance using and installing Memphis has been:

Memphis makes great Audiophile Mids/Subs. They even make a set of 15" entry lvl Decible subs i smile at when i hear. The amps they make are great but burn out if not installed propperly....they are very finicky about getting the proper power/ground, and very sensitive to guage resistance.

As far as internal vs Pioneer, Alpine, JL:

With Medium quality amp- Match Mid lvl to top lvl Pioneer
    With High quality Amp- Match Alpine type S/R and low end Type X component
    Will NOT match- JL Audio quality at all

Pioneer is a great all around speaker but lacks in the low end and chimes in the highs
    Alpine rocks on low end and highs but mids get muffled
    JL is top to bottom great clean sound...BUT WAYYYYYYY OVER PRICED.

AGAIN I STATE:This is based on my experience using and installing Memphis anlong with all Pioneer Jl and Alpine, other peoples experiences will vary based on different factors.

Nothing like an old thread getting bumped up to the top hehe

In the end, I've decided on boston acoustics for my setup with my Alpine head unit.

They sound just as good as JL audios, if not a little better depending on your preference of music and tuning, and are a little bit cheaper. Plus... their warranty is better, as well as customer service.

i didnt even look at the dates. It was in recent post so i just read the post before comenting......ehhh well at least someone will get some info they can use from it. Maybe mods should make a new tag that auto flaggs grave yard post that have been revived as "dead Threads". that way we know know to check the dates. its 330 am im to tired to look at little numbers on the side...............

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    Nothing like an old thread getting bumped up to the top hehe

In the end, I've decided on boston acoustics for my setup with my Alpine head unit.

They sound just as good as JL audios, if not a little better depending on your preference of music and tuning, and are a little bit cheaper. Plus... their warranty is better, as well as customer service.
    Great choice, Boston's are sweet...

Memphis has good amps and subs and like others mentioned on this thread their mids/highs aren't as great. And IMO Memphis is also kind of pricey when compared to comprable kicker or fosgate stuff