The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Vibration at idle while in gear

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Vibration at idle while in gear

I have a mean vibration while stopped and in gear, it's fine in park and neutral. I think it's a motor mount issue because the revs stay stable during the vibration. But the vibration is sometimes pretty violent, especially when the a/c is on and it's a necessity that it gets fixed.

It's a 1990 automatic 2.0, lots of miles and burns some oil (which isn't an issue yet for me).

I'm sure due to the age of the car that there are some other members who share the same issue with their 6th gens.

Basically what I'm looking for is advice on which motor mount to look at first as the culprit and pointers how to replace said motor mount using a modest socket and wrench set if possible. I have a Haynes, but most of it is Greek to me since all I've done is in the way of repairs have been brakes, tune-ups, and belts on my now long-gone 7th gen.

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    u just brought back old memories when my car use to shake, well most likely its ur motor mounts and u can tell because u will have cracks on them im pretty sure u would have 4 like us 8 gen, ohh and its recomended that replace all at the same time. Now for just socket sets i dunno but i need a breaker bar in order to break mine loose and a jack stand and jack
    03 I4

so from at least in aspect of an 8th gen, it's doable at home? i'm sure i can find something to use as a breaker bar, and i have two hydraulic jacks (no stands though). i hope any cracks will be in the rubber or bushing and not the actual mount itself, the mounts have bushings that are replacable right?

cost is a concern since me and my fiancee are finally moving in together and she has no job due to being a full time student.

yeah its doable at home, if u have harbor freight near by then wont cost u much but if u dont then looking around 60 i think that how much i paid there information here to give u an idea of the precess i suggest searching these forums. BTW i suggest u use jack stands or something shirty to hold the car while in the air and no jack are not appropriate
    03 I4

harbor freight is like a candy store to me, lol. and damn, looking at prices online, all 4 motor mounts come out to over 200 bucks, bleh. i'll get under the car when the rain goes away and see if i can get by with just replacing a couple mounts. and i have friends who may have some jack stands to loan me.

i didn't see any how-to's on motor mounts, but i'll search again later today.

check the 8g section should be similar
    03 I4