The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: new rims and a whole lot of noise

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    themadmon

new rims and a whole lot of noise

put these rims on my car. It made my bad outer tie rod worse so i replaced outer tie rods on both sides. took car for alignment this morning. rides much better but still has a steering wheel shimmy. it happens at about 40 mph. i do wanna take these tires off and put 215/45-17 or 215/40-17. when i brake now it has a little grind to it and a roltational rub. almost as if something is touching only at a certain point on the rotors. The brake pad life is good but im going to change the brake pads and rotors and see if that helps. What would cause the shimmy. im assuming they rode fine on the old car...3.5 altima.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

edit...they do not rub at all lol. Only when i take deep turns.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    What tires are those? They look wayyy too tall. If you want to run 215 wide tires, you should do about a 215/50/R17, or maybe a 215/45/R17 (which will end up being a slightly smaller diameter than stock)

Also, it looks like you're missing a lugnut on each? And did you have the wheels + tires balanced?

themadmon
    i am going to get them rebalanced. they just came off another car. the missing lug nut if for the locks. i havnt put them on yet. they are on the passenger side floor. currently they are bridgestone 215/55-17. the rims are 7.5 wide i believe. im in ny so which is better for potholes... 215/50/R17?

I'm running 215/55 r17 and i have no rub at all but it sounds like they need rebalanced like you said
    2001 Mitsubishi Galant-Totalled..=(
    1987 Cheverolet IROC-Z Camaro-TPI 350
    1989 Nissan 240sx-built SOHC-Trade for Honda
    1999 civic Hatch B20vtec- current
    Lookn for galant to build. .

^^^^curiously are you lowered? but, OP i have 215 50 17 no problem at all maybe try that but if you are gonna get new tires might wanna go with 215 45 17 just in case you lower later.
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

Experienced TGC Member
    Go 225 45 17 itll leave you with plenty of sidewall for potholes.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    The tires are too big. You should run a 215/45 if you plan on not dropping the car. But if you are dropping it then run a 215/40.

I have my car dropped w/ megan springs have 99 gsx rims w/ 225/45/17 no rub not bad w/ potholes at all

themadmon
    problem found. need advise now. the reason for the vibration is because the center bore of the rim is too small. i negleted it when mounting as just how the rim was. never been through this before. galants are 67.1 and the rim is 66.1 (nissan). I will change the tires but the car is parked until i can get it bored or if i find a spacer that fits. the actual area that the hub sits on in the back is slanted. This means if i get a small 4mm spacer it will allow the rim to sit fully flush and not wobble. the wheels were actually looking like potato chips. I put them back on the car and it drove perfectly. I couldnt figure it out. How can i bore a rim 1 lol

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Member SPD_FRK has nissan 350z wheels send him a PM.

4g64T 5spd

themadmon
    ok last night i put on some spacers and the car rides perfectly. need to get the correct tire size now and thinner spacers or rims rebored

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    I say sell them and get some more rims.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

themadmon
    I have no rims for my car. Im going to purchase the correct tires for the 17 inch rims. Put 3mm spacers because that is all i need. As money flows better ill get better rims. For now these look nice :)