The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Actual gains from exhaust

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Icon10 Actual gains from exhaust

Ive been searching back because Im looking for how much of an impact an exhaust has on our 4g64.
    My current stock exhaust is in pretty good shape so I have little reason to replace it for maintenance issues. Although... if there is a benefit in throttle response, MPG, or HP than Ill consider it. Im not really interested in sound or tone unless it sounds poor and ricey.
    The only mods I have on the motor are a KN SRI and V6 TB (soon).
    What would TGC do?
    Thanks!

Sphinx
    2000 ES 4G64 ~ Bridgeston Potenza 205/60/15 ~ K&N Typhoon intake/filter ~ KYB GR2/Excel-G ~ CM Springs ~ V6 TB ~ STB OEM 3G Eclipse ~ Drilled Slotted Rotors ~ PrePaid Legal Sticker ~ Graco Car Seat

TGC would use the search button
    and look at countless threads there are on exhausts
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

Ive read that the answer would be no multiple times from C3G. Mainly since the 4G64 is pretty much maxed out on HP from the factory and the exhaust is pretty free flowing as it is. So really the only HP gain your going to be tuning and/or FI.
    I know a lot of people argue this subject tho.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

Experienced TGC Member
    Ill give you my personal piece of advise. I ported my head, 60mm throttle body, port matched the intake manifold, 5 speed swap, balance shaft delete, 11.5 lb flywheel and a cai. Gains were very impressive. I drove the car like that on bone stock exhaust setup for about 1.5-2 years. One day i got a little hair up my ass and had a header installed along with a cat back exhaust. Honestly, there werent any gains even with the mods that made the engine flow better. Spend your money on something else.

Thanks! I had used the search but saw a lot of back and forth on the subject. This cleared it up.
    Thanks again.
    2000 ES 4G64 ~ Bridgeston Potenza 205/60/15 ~ K&N Typhoon intake/filter ~ KYB GR2/Excel-G ~ CM Springs ~ V6 TB ~ STB OEM 3G Eclipse ~ Drilled Slotted Rotors ~ PrePaid Legal Sticker ~ Graco Car Seat

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
    Thanks! I had used the search but saw a lot of back and forth on the subject. This cleared it up.
    Thanks again.
    There are plentyyyyyyyy and I mean plennnntyyyyy of threads about this trust me...Try again. But I will help out as much as I can. If your looking for power gain from your car mmmm your not going to notice much at all with out doing something crazy with the motor or being FI. If you have the money you can do so much with your motor by swaping parts from the Evo motor to the 4g64 motor or just turbocharge the stock motor. I always tell people, "If your looking for real HP, you gatta be willing to spend money" making power isnt cheap or free at all. Galants arnt like the mustangs when you can change the intake and exhaust...have alil bit of changes on the ECU and automaticly gain over 20 HP. If you want I would rec on getting an intake, racing headers, and a full exhaust system...youll gain maybe 2 to 5 if lucky. Youll notice a change but deff not much at all for you or anybody to think you have a fast car. I hoped I helped...I tried and goodluck

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

Thanks Galantfan88!
    Im not expecting impressive gains at all LOL Its a 4 banger grocery getter. If Im going to do certain maintenance projects on the car and I can upgrade the part(s) than Im interested. Getting worn parts replaced and making the most out of an in expensive car is my goal.
    Sphinx