The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alignment shops (general question)

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Alignment shops (general question)

This has been bothering me for quite some time. When you make any changes to your suspension (be it lowered or adjustment) and you have to take it to an alignment shop, do you go to one with a computerized or manual alignment shop? I'm asking this because the ones with a computerized shop always set it to "factory specs" regardless of my requests which is beneficial if your ride height is at stock height. But isn't "factory specs" be altered if your ride height is, let's say, 2 or 3 inches lower? If anyone with alignment experienced with this sort of thing please chime in. Thanks!

I would NEVER go to a 'manual' alignment shop. It should be done always on a laser alignment rack. As for getting the car aligned to particular specs? That is a lot harder to do, but your best bet is check with some guys that autocross locally, see where they get their cars done at. Autocrossers typically want more toe in, or toe out, (depending on FWD, RWD, or AWD) to improve turn-in, or steering response.

If the car is used as a daily driver? Toe specs should be set to factory, really, all specs 'should' be as close to factory as possible at all times. If you've lowered the car significantly, then it may not be possible to get camber and caster in range without the addition of a camber kit, or other suspension modification.

So, to clarify, yes get it done at a shop with a computerized alignment rack, to factory specs. Seting the car to factory specs is preferred, unless the vehicle is autocrossed, or road raced.

agreed...also be aware that that there is a tolerance in the factory specs and some shops get lazy when it comes to getting them as optimum as possible (e.g., toe should be set as close to "0" as possible for maximum tire life)
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011