The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: doing 5 spd swap, stripped a bolt, not sure what to do now

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

doing 5 spd swap, stripped a bolt, not sure what to do now

I finished all the interior for the swap yesterday and today i was planning on doing the transmission today. I started by making sure all connections were off and then went underneath and removed the cross member. Next, i was removing the axle and I got the nut off on one side, but the bolt is stripped and i cannot get it off. This is what i am talking about.

That bolt is stripped, but the nut on the other side i was able to get off. Any suggestions of what i should do to get it off?
    Bryan - TGCWI - 6g72 5 speed

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3376567

as long as the nut is off. you can use a hammer and tap out the bolt, no? Push up and down on the cross member to wiggle the bolt out.

What qnz said. Also another alternative is to put the nut back on and torque it down to spec and instead of unbolting the lower control arm from the knuckle, unbolt the tie rod end from the kuckle, unbolt the strut from the kunuckle and swing the arm down to get the axle out. Make sure you get the axle nut off of the hub assembly first though.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

yeah i tried banging it out with a hammer but the thing would not budge one bit (just made my ears ring from how loud it was lol)

that is a good alternative jigz, i will have to try that too

thanks for the input

oh and do you remember what size socket fits on the nut for the axle that is on the hub assembly?

i have to go out and get one because its bigger than the biggest socket in my tools

i dont know if its the same on the v6 as it is on the 4cyl but if it is un-bolting control arms, tie rod ends or knuckles isnt needed. ive always managed to get the axle out by just un-bolting the strut and the brake caliper and let everything hang down and then you can pull the axle out of the hub.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    You have to wiggle the arm and hub assembly around enough until you can feel that the bolt will come loose. This might require two people.

When I lived in OR we used to tack weld another bolt on to it and then torque it off. I dont know if you have a way to do this or not but its an idea.
    Might try and and JBweld a socket on top of it ....
    My 2 cents
    2000 ES 4G64 ~ Bridgeston Potenza 205/60/15 ~ K&N Typhoon intake/filter ~ KYB GR2/Excel-G ~ CM Springs ~ V6 TB ~ STB OEM 3G Eclipse ~ Drilled Slotted Rotors ~ PrePaid Legal Sticker ~ Graco Car Seat

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I wouldnt put the nut back on because then what happens if you need to remove it in the future, then your totally F'ed. atleast now your half way there. spray it with some WD40 or PB blaster, its probably just stuck because its rusted.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

alright will do, just gotta get the thing off and then get a new bolt